Sports Official NCAA Wrestling Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
30 man roster that goes into effect in 12 months led to an interesting conversation between otto's coach and brands today...

one thing that can always be counted on is everything is always in flux...

The Decimator

R.I.P. UG/OG
Aug 31, 2021
30 man roster that goes into effect in 12 months led to an interesting conversation between otto's coach and brands today...

one thing that can always be counted on is everything is always in flux...
I'm more than interested in details you feel that you can disclose. Lol

Hawkeyes fan here, and I'm hoping Otto can bust in to the lineup for some meets. What weight class is he doing this year?

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
the plan has always been him grey shirting this year while attending the community college to get his academics in order...

training in the room the entire year before officially being enrolled in fall of 2025...

but with the new rules that go into effect next year with the 30 man roster, it will make programs have to make some hard choices...

the kids that party too much or have worries about eligibility will be the easy ones to cut...

otto still can go train there with no worries this year, but, it was brought up in a conversation that there is no guarantee he 100% has a spot if he can not adjust academically...

most of the academic issues are 100% my fault because they were just not important to me... we have done online schooling with all my children because of equal parts the freedom it enabled us to have and how much i abhor this countries public education environment...

he has options outside of iowa with full rides being offered at the juco level which we have waffled on a bit on whether that would be better for him outside of wrestling considerations...

we just never planned on the traditional D1 route since he was very young, so, the iowa opportunity happened a bit out of the blue... he turned down several conversations over the years with other D1 programs because he was 100% focused on greco and was not interested in folk at all... that meant he was not recruited really at all outside of interpersonal relationships...

but after the last 2 years and the struggles of trying to get decent greco training throughout he entire calendar year and seeing first hand how our senior level athletes are treated by USAW and how their "leadership" outwardly shows not only complete incompetence but an overall disdain for greco we all have realized how difficult a path that is and there are really no good options...

that was the main reason he was convinced to come back and wrestle folk his senior year and went undefeated 50-0 with a 93% bonus rate... during the season he kind of fell in love with the folk system we have... winning the team state title was a pretty cool experience for him...

the reality is everyone involved knows he is the future of greco in this country and that also makes everyone a little nervous when they contemplate if they can provide the necessary environment for him...

the problem is there is not one place in this copuntry that can do that for him in greco and it will always be up to us as a family to create that that environment... my whole thinking at iowa was that once they see what a greco influence can do for their folk and free then it becomes a no brainer in my mind... but sometimes it is hard for this country to look outside of the box...

with all that being said, i would like to note that tom brands has been nothing but incredibly up front and honorable throughout this entire conversation between otto and his coaches... i have never personally spoken to him by design... everyone knows and understands that otto is not a typical athlete and it is a bit of an unknown quantity and that introduces an element of risk that with the current climate in college wrestling makes the business side of it a factor...

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
as far as weight goes, otto has to be a good size 67kg for LA, so, after worlds his main focus will be on getting his man's body and putting on size...

he quit lifting entirely this winter to maintain 63kg easier, so, i dont think he will have any issues getting to be a legitimate 67kg...

he is the giant of the family...

all that to say, if he competed in college right now he would be a 41lber but would make the jump to 49 as soon as possible...

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
well...

he just walked in from training and talking it over with joe warren and he is 100% committed to going and grey shirting while proving to iowa he is not a risk...

which is what i wanted to hear from him...

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
Is AJ done with college wrestling?
i know as of last month, at least one school he visited was still trying to come up with enough money to convince him to go there and destroy their program...

The Decimator

R.I.P. UG/OG
Aug 31, 2021
Continue to do what is best for Otto! If he Grey shirts and impresses in the HWC room, I expect things will go his way quickly in the future.

As far as Greco-Roman goes, I feel Joe will maintain a vested interest in him as the years go on..?

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
Continue to do what is best for Otto! If he Grey shirts and impresses in the HWC room, I expect things will go his way quickly in the future.

As far as Greco-Roman goes, I feel Joe will maintain a vested interest in him as the years go on..?
100%

he has trained with the brands back in the day and they have a relationship... the only reason otto has the opportunity to go to iowa is because of joe warren...

joe is the best greco coach in this country right now and there is not even a close second... if USAW were not scared to death of joe and would have given him the OTC, then all of this would have been moot...

when otto turned them down 2 years ago after they tried to throw a little money at us to get him to be a resident athlete at 17 i explained that to them...

that went over like a lead balloon and started a mini war that i still hold a grudge for to this day...

i quit reffing and will never have a USA card ever again in my life...

i want as little association with them as possible...

anyway, joe and otto hit if off on day one and i do not see joe ever not being in otto's corner throughout the rest of his greco career...

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
saitiev.JPG

from the U17 worlds entry list...

i can only assume he is related to THE SAITIEV...

prolly gonna have to watch that...

the rayney brother we have at that weight is a very, very scrappy wrestler...

otto gives the rayney brothers his seal of approval...

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
i like JW personally... haven't talked to him in a couple of years...

but...

i am not surprised by this news even a little...

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
i will say...

DT could clean several more character issues from that room...

i had not really given any consideration to the roster limits until this morning when it became a real thing to be reckoned with...

we will see a bunch of kids who have been given passes being given the boot in the next year...

everyone is gonna have to straighten up or pay the price...

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
3x Finalist/2x NCAA champ Jordan Oliver fights on the PFL prelims tonight!!!

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
the plan has always been him grey shirting this year while attending the community college to get his academics in order...

training in the room the entire year before officially being enrolled in fall of 2025...

but with the new rules that go into effect next year with the 30 man roster, it will make programs have to make some hard choices...

the kids that party too much or have worries about eligibility will be the easy ones to cut...

otto still can go train there with no worries this year, but, it was brought up in a conversation that there is no guarantee he 100% has a spot if he can not adjust academically...

most of the academic issues are 100% my fault because they were just not important to me... we have done online schooling with all my children because of equal parts the freedom it enabled us to have and how much i abhor this countries public education environment...

he has options outside of iowa with full rides being offered at the juco level which we have waffled on a bit on whether that would be better for him outside of wrestling considerations...

we just never planned on the traditional D1 route since he was very young, so, the iowa opportunity happened a bit out of the blue... he turned down several conversations over the years with other D1 programs because he was 100% focused on greco and was not interested in folk at all... that meant he was not recruited really at all outside of interpersonal relationships...

but after the last 2 years and the struggles of trying to get decent greco training throughout he entire calendar year and seeing first hand how our senior level athletes are treated by USAW and how their "leadership" outwardly shows not only complete incompetence but an overall disdain for greco we all have realized how difficult a path that is and there are really no good options...

that was the main reason he was convinced to come back and wrestle folk his senior year and went undefeated 50-0 with a 93% bonus rate... during the season he kind of fell in love with the folk system we have... winning the team state title was a pretty cool experience for him...

the reality is everyone involved knows he is the future of greco in this country and that also makes everyone a little nervous when they contemplate if they can provide the necessary environment for him...

the problem is there is not one place in this copuntry that can do that for him in greco and it will always be up to us as a family to create that that environment... my whole thinking at iowa was that once they see what a greco influence can do for their folk and free then it becomes a no brainer in my mind... but sometimes it is hard for this country to look outside of the box...

with all that being said, i would like to note that tom brands has been nothing but incredibly up front and honorable throughout this entire conversation between otto and his coaches... i have never personally spoken to him by design... everyone knows and understands that otto is not a typical athlete and it is a bit of an unknown quantity and that introduces an element of risk that with the current climate in college wrestling makes the business side of it a factor...
Best of luck on y'alls journey looking forward to seeing what happens with yalls journey!

Last edited:

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
View attachment 111504

from the U17 worlds entry list...

i can only assume he is related to THE SAITIEV...

prolly gonna have to watch that...

the rayney brother we have at that weight is a very, very scrappy wrestler...

otto gives the rayney brothers his seal of approval...
Both Satievs were 2 of my all time favorites to watch! and yes, The Raney boys are dogs! That run Jordyn had to win his world title last year was sick!!