Cinema Rate the last movie you saw

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think our generation has been conditioned to need instant gratification. We want face paced action. The classic films tend to be more of a slow burn so it may take some time getting used to, but I definitely think it's worth it. Older films just seem more charming to me. Art is quite subjective so you might not like Seconds, but I think it quite amazing. I'm a big fan of the dark, psychological thriller movies. The fact that it's in black and white kind of makes it better imo. Adds to the bleak atmosphere of the film. You seem to be like me anyways. Up all late into the wee hours of the night and barely sleep. This will help you pass the time lol.
Good deal. Gonna make time for it this week. Will come back and share my thoughts.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My grandparents are big time cinephiles. They have quite an extensive collection of dvds. Almost all the old films I watch are dvd's I borrow from them. They buy a lot of their movies from a company called The Criterion Collection(www.criterion.com) that restores the technical quality of all the older classic films and releases them on dvd and blu ray. If you have a Hulu membership, you get access to just about all the films in the Criterion Collection.
Do you have a nice set up for watching movies? Seems to be your biggest past time.

Sometimes I feel like I'm that guy who knows nothing about MMA ground game and lose interest when it comes to award winning movies. You should seriously make a thread on how to better enjoy ones viewing experience and use clips with breakdowns, you could be our Robin Black of cinematics. You broke down the scene in There Will Be Blood for me pretty good so more of that would be cool to see.

The majority of movies which are supposed to be Oscar worthy or loved seem to leave me shaking my head, I gotta be missing something. Movies like LA Confidential, Mulholland Drive, Mad Max, Her (fucking Brutal) and many more are decent but nothing I'd be recommending to others. Latest award winning flick I really enjoyed was Interstellar, great movie.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Deadpool 8/10..Probably one of the best comic book films in recent memory, but it left a lot to be desired. I did like how they blended in the past with the story, but the overall story didn't seem to be that spectacular..Most of the film gets carried by deadpool's charisma and 4th wall breakage alone.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Do you have a nice set up for watching movies? Seems to be your biggest past time.

Sometimes I feel like I'm that guy who knows nothing about MMA ground game and lose interest when it comes to award winning movies. You should seriously make a thread on how to better enjoy ones viewing experience and use clips with breakdowns, you could be our Robin Black of cinematics. You broke down the scene in There Will Be Blood for me pretty good so more of that would be cool to see.
I have a nice tv, but I don't have a theater surround sound or anything fancy like that. The best viewing experience will always be in the theater imo. Too many distractions and interruptions at home watching on a tv or computer. Watching it theatrically allows you to shut off the rest of the world for 2 hours and truly immerse yourself in the film. I have a small 2 screen cinema near me that plays new releases, independent, foreign, and classic films. No loud punk teenagers go there. It's lovely.

The majority of movies which are supposed to be Oscar worthy or loved seem to leave me shaking my head, I gotta be missing something. Movies like LA Confidential, Mulholland Drive, Mad Max, Her (fucking Brutal) and many more are decent but nothing I'd be recommending to others. Latest award winning flick I really enjoyed was Interstellar, great movie.
Omg I love Her. That shit depressed the hell out of me. Reminded me a lot of Lost in Translation which makes sense cuz Sofia Coppola directed it and she used to be married to Spike Jonze who made Her. They say Lost in Translation was a dig at Spike as they were going through a divorce at the time and Her is his response back. Who knows? But I really like to read about directors and watch all their interviews. I think it helps me get more invested in their films and understand what they are trying to accomplish. Similar to how I can appreciate an mma fight between 2 guys I know nothing about, but if I know their backstory, it's more emotional for me.

Fuck the Oscars. You might enjoy the more controversial/violent/sexual films made outside of Hollywood. Check out anything made by the director Gaspar Noe, especially Irreversible. Bah Gawd that is absolutely brutal.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
500 days of summer - 6.5/10

crazy stupid love - 7/10

A friend recommended some rom com movies. She told me she really like them. They were good, but they can't hold a candle to :

Before Sunrise 10/10

and Before Sunset 10/10

Probably the best relationship movies out there. I watched the Notebook and it was iffy as well. None come close to these 2 movies.

I watched After Midnight too (the third one) but i thought it was good not as awesome as the first 2.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I never once saw a black and white film and thought, "That will be a good movie." I have a very warped perception of the quality of classic filmmaking. Is this the film I should watch to change that? And yes. I am currently going through a mid-life crisis.
have you watched Schindlers List? its a really good black and white flick.

im gonna watch Citizen Kane in the next few days. Heard some great things about it.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
500 days of summer - 6.5/10

crazy stupid love - 7/10

A friend recommended some rom com movies. She told me she really like them. They were good, but they can't hold a candle to :

Before Sunrise 10/10

and Before Sunset 10/10

Probably the best relationship movies out there. I watched the Notebook and it was iffy as well. None come close to these 2 movies.

I watched After Midnight too (the third one) but i thought it was good not as awesome as the first 2.
OMG OMG OMG I could not agree more. I stopped dating a girl because she did not enjoy Before Sunrise when I showed it to her. True story. The GOAT romantic trilogy. OMG I might have to watch it right now.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
OMG OMG OMG I could not agree more. I stopped dating a girl because she did not enjoy Before Sunrise when I showed it to her. True story. The GOAT romantic trilogy. OMG I might have to watch it right now.

yeah just an amazing movie eh? after watching it I was still buzzing a few hours after. It felt so real. Seeing a bond form between 2 people. And the amount of time between scenes. They would talk for like 10 minutes straight and it was so fascinating to see them keep going. Then again in the 2nd one.

Im going to rewatch Before midnight again. I wonder if i watched it at a bad time. I felt the first 2 were so powerful.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

im gonna watch Citizen Kane in the next few days. Heard some great things about it.
i watched citizen kane a few years ago. i am not a big movie critic nerd but it was a great movie

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Citizen Kane is an amazing movie.
If it was made today, it would win the oscar. It is amazing that it was made 75 years ago.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

I haven't. I got 3/4 the way through Seconds today while working. Not the best way to watch, but I'm limited on time. I can tell I'm about to enter an obsessive 50s/60s phase. lol

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Okay. Just finished it. That was fantastic. Poor guy got fucked. 8/10. Will certainty revisit that int he future.

Any other recommendations? I'm gonna check out Citizen Kane next.

BJTT-Geronimo_De_Gato

MEOW
Amateur Fighter
Aug 17, 2015
mad max being nominated for an oscar was hilarious. I didnt hate it, but i didnt like it and def wasn't oscar worthy/remarkable in any respect. i thought it boring.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Spectre - 8/10

I really think Craig's version of Bond might be the best, and this movie didn't disappoint.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Harcore Henry 7/10

Had a fun beginning and end the middle of the film was noit as good and the camera got really blurry when he ran. I expected more from this film but it still entertained.

This film only works in a theater or a huge tv

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
did you mean "The Revenant"?

I watched that one and would give it a 5/10 as well. it's technically brilliant but "way too many parts of the movie had me calling bullshit". like I said in another movie thread, I think this movie was an excuse to make use of the latest special effects the studio had developed. plus that director Iñarritu is the biggest hollywood wanker of all time.

all of his films start out great and ammount to nothing in the end. you can almost literally see his pretentiousness in the ending - as someone said in an endless rant in the imdb boards when DiCaprio "pretentiously stares directly into the camera at which point you think "that must be the end of the film" and hey, the screen fades to black and the words "Directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu" appear like we're supposed to be in awe of him" - lol
kind of how I felt about babel it was cool to look at but the story wasn't about much of anything, the scenes with the mexican maid where unintentional comedy worst nanny ever.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
robin hood with russle crowe and cate blanchett. 6.5/10
not a bad flick..but he doesn't do much robin hooding... seemed more like a prequel to the regular stealing from the rich to give to the poor story that i was expecting.

slow learners 6/10- quirky movie.. i laughed.

magic mike xxl- fuckin' stupid movie. -5/10

magic mike XXL was a really boring film.

Royce Nelson

Iron sharpens something
Dec 31, 2015
I saw the Jungle book movie yesterday and thought it was awesome. The Cgi is insane! Normally I hate it but this was an exception. Also the voice actors they chose were perfect. Bill Murray and Idris Elba to name a few. I give it a solid 8.5/10

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I saw the Jungle book movie yesterday and thought it was awesome. The Cgi is insane! Normally I hate it but this was an exception. Also the voice actors they chose were perfect. Bill Murray and Idris Elba to name a few. I give it a solid 8.5/10
I'll watch it tommorrow trailer looked good.