Cinema Rate the last movie you saw

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Watched a decent amount of movies in February. A lot of rewatches but a couple new ones. Here's a cute little graphic.

1. A Girl Who Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) Ana Lily Amirpour
Not even sure which genre I would classify this movie as. Has the feel of a silent movie, but with dialogue. There's one 5 minute scene in here that's absolutely amazing. 6.75/10
2. An American Werewolf in London (1981) John Landis
I probably overrate this one because I used to watch it a lot as a kid and I am a sucker for comedy/horror films. 8/10
3. Auto Focus (2002) Paul Schrader
This is the life I need to be living minus getting murdered. This film is based on a book written by the cartoonist that Gyllenhaal played in Zodiac.
4. Children of Men (2006) Alfonso Cuaron
Absolutely one of my favorite dystopian/ sci fi movies of all time. 8.6/10
5. Deadpool (2016) Tim Miller
I laughed quite a bit and found it entertaining, but the film is not nearly as anarchic as it thinks it is. 7/10
6. Don't Look Now (1973) Nicolas Roeg
One of the GOAT suspense/psycholigical thrillers? You need to watch this movie at least twice to appreciate it. Warren Beatty was dating the lead actress in this movie at the time. When he saw the film before its official release, he thought the sex scene between his girlfriend and Donald Sutherland looked so realistic that he flipped the fuck out and tried getting Warner Brothers to not release the movie lol. 8.9/10
7. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) Peter Yates
If you enjoy crime thrillers in Boston then this is your shit. There's something very authentic about this movie that most movies are unable to capture. 7.6/10
8. Goodbye Solo (2009) Ramin Bahrani
Fuck this movie is heartbreaking. It's a character study of an odd friendship between an optimist and a pessimist. I'd recommend any of this director's films. 8.4/10
9. Goodnight Mommy (2015) Veronika Franz
This is a nice little Austrian arthouse horror flick. I found this quite unsettling at times. It's not gorey at all, but I had to look away from the screen a few times lol. 7.7/10
10. Hail, Caesar! (2016) Coen bros
Need to watch this one again before I decide how I feel about it.
11. Lost River (2015) Ryan Gosling
Thought I'd give Gosling's directorial debut a shot because the poster looked cool. Meh. Shows promise I guess, but this was kind of a mess. 5/10
12. Melvin and Howard (1980) Jonathan Demme
This movie is about the fuckin American Dream. Kind of quirky, but it has charm. 7/10
13. Naked (1993) Mike Leigh
This is some deeply disturbing shit, but weirdly fascinating. 8.2/10
14. Peeping Tom (1960) Michael Powell
Has to be one of the best portrayals of a psychopath in film. 7.8/10
15. Safe (1995) Todd Haynes
On the surface this film is kind of a sad drama film, but this is some truly dark and creepy shit the more I think about it. 7.3/10
16. The Lobster (2015) Yorgos Lanthimos
This film is original, weird, funny, sad, thought-provoking, etc. Has a little bit of everything. Almost feels like a Wes Anderson film. Quite enjoyable. 7.8/10
17. The Long Goodbye (1973) Robert Altman
This is the style of film that Paul Thomas Anderson was going for when making Inherent Vice. He wasn't as successful as Altman. 8.7/10
18. The Last American Virgin (1982) Boaz Davidson
Your typical teenage sex comedy. Great soundtrack. Karen is coldblooded! 6.5/10
19. The Witch (2016) Robert Eggers
Some people actually got up, booed and left the theater in the middle of this film. This is not your traditional jump scare horror film. It's a moody. atmospheric film that kind of crawls under your skin. One of the best horror movies I have seen in awhile. 8.8/10
20. Walkabout (1971) Nicolas Roeg
The scene with the aboriginal dude doing a mating dance freaked me the fuck out and I will never watch again. 7/10

pattitude

Posting Machine
Pro Fighter
Oct 25, 2015
Deadpool
8/10
I think it could have gone further, but, as a Deadpool fan, I was very happy to see that they did the comic justice!
Oh, and the digs at previous movies were fucking great!

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Seconds
A 1966 film by John Frankenheimer.

If you're going through a mid-life crisis, you should watch this movie. Even if you're not, you should watch this movie. Bah gawd the ending! Even found it on Youtube for your viewing pleasure. You're welcome.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Watched a decent amount of movies in February. A lot of rewatches but a couple new ones. Here's a cute little graphic.

Not even sure which genre I would classify this movie as. Has the feel of a silent movie, but with dialogue. There's one 5 minute scene in here that's absolutely amazing. 6.75/10
I probably overrate this one because I used to watch it a lot as a kid and I am a sucker for comedy/horror films. 8/10
This is the life I need to be living minus getting murdered. This film is based on a book written by the cartoonist that Gyllenhaal played in Zodiac.
I laughed quite a bit and found it entertaining, but the film is not nearly as anarchic as it thinks it is. 7/10
One of the GOAT suspense/psycholigical thrillers? You need to watch this movie at least twice to appreciate it. Warren Beatty was dating the lead actress in this movie at the time. When he saw the film before its official release, he thought the sex scene between his girlfriend and Donald Sutherland looked so realistic that he flipped the fuck out and tried getting Warner Brothers to not release the movie lol. 8.9/10
If you enjoy crime thrillers in Boston then this is your shit. There's something very authentic about this movie that most movies are unable to capture. 7.6/10
Fuck this movie is heartbreaking. It's a character study of an odd friendship between an optimist and a pessimist. I'd recommend any of this director's films. 8.4/10
This is a nice little Austrian arthouse horror flick. I found this quite unsettling at times. It's not gorey at all, but I had to look away from the screen a few times lol. 7.7/10
Thought I'd give Gosling's directorial debut a shot because the poster looked cool. Meh. Shows promise I guess, but this was kind of a mess. 5/10
This movie is about the fuckin American Dream. Kind of quirky, but it has charm. 7/10
On the surface this film is kind of a sad drama film, but this is some truly dark and creepy shit the more I think about it. 7.3/10
This film is original, weird, funny, sad, thought-provoking, etc. Has a little bit of everything. Almost feels like a Wes Anderson film. Quite enjoyable. 7.8/10
This is the style of film that Paul Thomas Anderson was going for when making Inherent Vice. He wasn't as successful as Altman. 8.7/10
Some people actually got up, booed and left the theater in the middle of this film. This is not your traditional jump scare horror film. It's a moody. atmospheric film that kind of crawls under your skin. One of the best horror movies I have seen in awhile. 8.8/10
The scene with the aboriginal dude doing a mating dance freaked me the fuck out and I will never watch again. 7/10
why were ppl booing on Witch?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Jersey douchebags. I think some people thought it was going to be a traditional horror film with jump scares. It's not like that. More about mood.
I see I see...I love horror movie...ima check this out..

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
127 hours - 8/10

It is based on a true story of a man that went hiking on his own and ended up having a large rock fall trapping his arm in a remote canyon. Much of the movie is him trying to figure out a way out or reflecting on his life. I thought it was well done.

Last edited:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The first Hunger Games, thought it was good. I've read the first two books and still enjoyed the movie.

7/10

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Where do you get your movies from? I don't even know of a rental store and Netflix is somewhat limited. I feel like I have an infinite amount of older movies to catch up on.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Where do you get your movies from? I don't even know of a rental store and Netflix is somewhat limited. I feel like I have an infinite amount of older movies to catch up on.
My grandparents are big time cinephiles. They have quite an extensive collection of dvds. Almost all the old films I watch are dvd's I borrow from them. They buy a lot of their movies from a company called The Criterion Collection(www.criterion.com) that restores the technical quality of all the older classic films and releases them on dvd and blu ray. If you have a Hulu membership, you get access to just about all the films in the Criterion Collection.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Nightcrawler 8/10. Great flick if you're into the weird and perverse. Jake Gyllenhaal plays an up-and-coming paparazzi in LA. Definitely recommended.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Fuck yeah. Awesome post. I forced myself to sit down and watch a movie for the first time in forever tonight. I kinda want to spend an entire week doing nothing but that now.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Icefilms is another great resource for stuff that may not be available for you to rent or buy commercially.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
BROTHERS Grimsby 6/10

it had some funny moments but a lot of predictable and even derivative jokes,cohen used vulgar jokes even by my low standards to make up for lack of originality.

Zootopia 9.5/10
I only saw this because I had a 5 dollar early bird ticket and 3 hours to kill before a whale watch. hilarious film,good pacing,character development and animation. some of the jokes were clearly for adults.

Last edited:

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Seconds
A 1966 film by John Frankenheimer.

If you're going through a mid-life crisis, you should watch this movie. Even if you're not, you should watch this movie. Bah gawd the ending! Even found it on Youtube for your viewing pleasure. You're welcome.

I never once saw a black and white film and thought, "That will be a good movie." I have a very warped perception of the quality of classic filmmaking. Is this the film I should watch to change that? And yes. I am currently going through a mid-life crisis.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
beasts of no nation 9/10

cary fukunaga

amazing cinematography

idris elba transforms into his character

the main character agu is really good.

feels like a city of god in Africa.

Last edited:

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I never once saw a black and white film and thought, "That will be a good movie." I have a very warped perception of the quality of classic filmmaking. Is this the film I should watch to change that? And yes. I am currently going through a mid-life crisis.
I think our generation has been conditioned to need instant gratification. We want face paced action. The classic films tend to be more of a slow burn so it may take some time getting used to, but I definitely think it's worth it. Older films just seem more charming to me. Art is quite subjective so you might not like Seconds, but I think it quite amazing. I'm a big fan of the dark, psychological thriller movies. The fact that it's in black and white kind of makes it better imo. Adds to the bleak atmosphere of the film. You seem to be like me anyways. Up all late into the wee hours of the night and barely sleep. This will help you pass the time lol.