Cinema Rate the last movie you saw

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
The Martian 8/10
great cgi
lots of unexpected laughs
matt damon being charming
Jessica Chastain and Rooney mara catering to my ginger fetish

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
are we still doing this? that's the movie thread I found...

I can't remember the last time I had watched a movie but this weekend I saw two:

Stockholm, Pennsylvania (2015)

Incredibly creepy, sad and disappointing yet very interesting. apparently it premiered at Sundance festival but ended up released straight to TV, probably because it' a slow paced movie with no climatic ending. it's about a 23 years old girl returning home after spending 17 years kidnapped in an underground basement.

It is totally about character study with no action and no clear message. just a study on Stockholm syndrome and human psychology. it could've been great, if it wasn't so contrived - the girl was just sent back home with one half assed therapist treating her and no one treating the parents - most likely a setup for the weird dynamics that take place when the girl was supposedly "safe back home";

The Revenant (2015)

Very cool, very well done, and overrated as fuck. overly long too - after 2 hours I was just hoping it would end. it still dragged on endlessly with the same cat and mouse story. apparently the movie was an excuse to make use of the wonderful cinematography and cutting edge new special effects the studio developed.

Or did I miss out on stuff? It was so long since I had watched a blockbuster movie in the theatre, I may have un-learned. but by the end I couldn't keep track anymore of who was who doing what...

overall this movie is just not my style. when DiCaprio's character survived the waterfalls, that was it for me. I mean, I could live with the bear attack, the thousands shootouts where he one shot kills people and no one hits him, the fact that his wounds healed magically, that he was immune to the cold and freezing water... but the waterfalls killed it for me.

still, it was very fun and if it was cut a half an hour short I would have no complaints;

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just saw a movie called "a single shot".

I'd give it a 7 I suppose, because Sam Rockwell's acting was superb as was Jeffrey Wrights.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
tell me what you though was good about it? I enjoy a few things but not many.

some marine dude is the alpha for a group of Raptors?

It wasn't good, it was fun. That was all it was ever intended to be. You don't rate a movie about dinosaurs on the same scale as you would the Godfather. It's the same reason there aren't comedies at the Oscars. For what it was supposed to be, they pretty much nailed it.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I recently watched a couple that were listed in the horror movies thread.

Bone Tomahawk, Backcountry, and Farmhouse

All of which were good.

Pawn Sacrifice looks good. I'll add that to the list.
backcountry was ok could of had a better story, the part with eric balfour was really weird and did nothing for the story , I like missy in rookie blue but found her whiney in this film, the bear attack was kind of impressive in its level of violence,but missy's survival story didn't captivate me like the one in the revenant, it was rushed and by the end of the film I didn't care that if she survived.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
The Boy. It was a'ight. Has a bit of a twist at the end and does a pretty good job creating a tense atmosphere, but not quite as creepy as something like Insidious or Sinister.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

7/10

Interesting look at a young lad whose father was a Nazi. Their family was stationed close to a concentration camp in WW2. The boy goes exploring - as young lads will do - and strikes up a friendship with a Jewish boy inside the camp.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
The reverent 5/10
way too many parts of the movie had me calling bullshit
did you mean "The Revenant"?

I watched that one and would give it a 5/10 as well. it's technically brilliant but "way too many parts of the movie had me calling bullshit". like I said in another movie thread, I think this movie was an excuse to make use of the latest special effects the studio had developed. plus that director Iñarritu is the biggest hollywood wanker of all time.

all of his films start out great and ammount to nothing in the end. you can almost literally see his pretentiousness in the ending - as someone said in an endless rant in the imdb boards when DiCaprio "pretentiously stares directly into the camera at which point you think "that must be the end of the film" and hey, the screen fades to black and the words "Directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu" appear like we're supposed to be in awe of him" - lol

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
so let's talk movies? I recently (re)watched:

American Beauty (1999) 5/10

Holy fuck this movie aged badly. every character was a picture perfect caricature of some preconceived idea about people. the hard ass war veteran and his rebel son who has his rebel girlfriend and they proudly call themselves "freaks" and want to pack their bags and leave home... the frustrated wife who cheats on her husband... the rushed gay "twist" in the end...

and Mena Suvari's charachter which has become cringe worthy imo - the girl is straight up nasty to the point where she flirts with her bf's dad in front of everybody and only talks about sex and cock sizes and shit...then when push comes to shove she becomes the sweetest thing on earth complete with voice change and everything!

only Kevin Spacey saved the movie. and I remember when this was the coolest ground breaking movie of the month way back in 1999!!

Inside Man (2006) 6.5/10

Caught this one last night on tv. I liked it when it came out and it's still cool to watch. it requires some suspension of disbelief, but at a fairly movie-acceptable rate, not The Revenant style disbelief.

It creates an interesting web of characters and hidden motives making the viewer entangled in it but it really is not as confusing as it sounds. we're only as confused as the NYPD itself;

Stockholm, Pennsylvania (2015) 5.5/10

Incredibly creepy, sad and disappointing yet very interesting. apparently it premiered at Sundance festival but ended up released straight to TV, probably because it' a slow paced movie with no climatic ending. it's about a 23 years old girl returning home after spending 17 years kidnapped in an underground basement.

It is totally about character study with no action and no clear message. just a study on Stockholm syndrome and human psychology. it could've been great, if it wasn't so contrived - the girl was just sent back home with one half assed therapist treating her and no one treating the parents - most likely a setup for the weird dynamics that take place once the girl is supposedly "safe back home".