General Senate Judiciary Committee Report on Jan 6th

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I'm just glad enough shits are being given that this is being investigated. I hope there's a hearing every day for a year. What happened, can't happen again.

Unless we elect another narcissist wannabe dictator.

Let's steer around that.
This is kind of my favorite part. "We're so concerned about democracy we need to make sure that this guy can never again democratically succeed."

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
There's an irony to the sentiment you're putting forth. You're saying "Let's not elect another wannabe dictator." that unfortunately flies in the face of protecting democracy. If the voters want a dictator, they get a dictator.
Oh, I see now.

There were only a hundred thousand signs that Trump would be a mistake. Signs that he would only listen to himself, that he was a power hungry narcissist. A wannabe dictator.

We could have avoided it. Nothing has been materially improved by his time in office, and real damage was done to the country.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Oh, I see now.

There were only a hundred thousand signs that Trump would be a mistake. Signs that he would only listen to himself, that he was a power hungry narcissist. A wannabe dictator.

We could have avoided it. Nothing has been materially improved by his time in office, and real damage was done to the country.
Welcome to democracy, friend. Tyranny of the majority.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
"Let's not step in the shit again, let's walk around it."

"But what if people like stepping in shit?"

I suppose it's a valid question, despite its facetious sound.

We have to work on our expectations
Check out Justin Trudeau's history of scandal since 2016. He's been re-elected twice since then. For Christ's sake, one of his opposing leaders has thrown his party in with JT even knowing everything he does.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Check out Justin Trudeau's history of scandal since 2016. He's been re-elected twice since then. For Christ's sake, one of his opposing leaders has thrown his party in with JT even knowing everything he does.
We seem to have steered around the thread subject, ?

Will do, though I find everything Canada too boring to look into

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Trump would already be in prison if they had an ounce of evidence on him. Shit, they'd arrest the man for jay walking if they could. Two impeachments and now this dog & pony show. All swings and misses. And TDS sufferers keep lapping up what Schiff, Pelosi, Cheney, Schumer and CNN are shoveling...hoping orange man will go away so $5/gallon gas, 10% inflation, 6% mortgage rates, supply chain shortages, an open border, and funding endless wars (i.e. laundering our tax dollars) will become common place in America. Why do some want to see America fail so badly?

The media really did a number on people during Trumps tenure. Five years of programming peoples minds. Every minute of every day, for 5 years. Russia this, racism that. Orange man bad. Trump didn’t divide America. The media did.

When we get Trump 2024 and DeSantis 2028 & 2032, we're going to see just how badly Americans have been getting fucked for the past 30+ years. This country will prosper beyond most of our imaginations.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Ignore what happened that day.

Would you dismiss this so easily if it had occurred the same exact way, only it was Hillary?

I believe the answer is "No, it would be very important to explore what happened and make sure it doesn't again."

That would be honest.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
The filibuster cloture rule has only been in place since 1975.
and it's a good rule. It stops whatever slim majority that gets into power from radically changing policy every few years. We shouldn't be cramming stuff down on the federal level unless there is an overwhelming consensus for it. Most of these crazy boondoggle bills that come to the floor should fail.

We'd be far better off voting for each item individually.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
and it's a good rule. It stops whatever slim majority that gets into power from radically changing policy every few years. We shouldn't be cramming stuff down on the federal level unless there is an overwhelming consensus for it. Most of these crazy boondoggle bills that come to the floor should fail.

Republican policies are outdated evidenced by the more advanced nations of the world

The last time that the republican presidential nominee won the popular vote was 34 years ago

The Electoral college, the senate, and the filibuster are anti-democratic by definition since they give the minority power directly and indirectly

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Ignore what happened that day.

Would you dismiss this so easily if it had occurred the same exact way, only it was Hillary?

I believe the answer is "No, it would be very important to explore what happened and make sure it doesn't again."

That would be honest.
How many Hillary scandals have been swept under the rug and ignored?

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
The Electoral college, the senate, and the filibuster are anti-democratic by definition since they give the minority power directly and indirectly
They are anti democratic. As are individual rights. But they are also all very important to keeping a nation as large and as diverse as ours together. Shit they were important just to get 13 states together let alone 50 with over 330 million people. Tyranny of the majority is just that a tyranny. Federalism and localism are all integral to keeping a union. It's why the EU is so fucked. I live 3000 miles away from LA, I'm way closer to Toronto to California. Why should some people i have never ever met who live that far away from me dictate how i live my life.

The end of the electoral college or senate are immediately the end of what we call a country. People and groups this vast will not come together unless they have equal seats at the table.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
They are anti democratic. As are individual rights. But they are also all very important to keeping a nation as large and as diverse as ours together. Shit they were important just to get 13 states together let alone 50 with over 330 million people. Tyranny of the majority is just that a tyranny. Federalism and localism are all integral to keeping a union. It's why the EU is so fucked. I live 3000 miles away from LA, I'm way closer to Toronto to California. Why should some people i have never ever met who live that far away from me dictate how i live my life.

The end of the electoral college or senate are immediately the end of what we call a country. People and groups this vast will not come together unless they have equal seats at the table.
Why should a majority of people elect officials? Because that's better than being held back by the minority

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Why should a majority of people elect officials? Because that's better than being held back by the minority
Because it's not. Individual rights are. Why would any minority every agree to grouping together with a majority if they don't have an equal say. Why the fuck should Idaho stay in or wherever stay in America when their policy is being dictated by people who live in big coastal cities far off from them. This union will not hold if we go pure majoritarian.

Every great atrocity of the 20th Century was the majority stripping rights away and dehumanizing minorities. In forcing the minority to adhere to what the majority wanted.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

The rule doesn't prevent law changes. It prevents voting on laws by going around and doing backroom deals until you can get what you think will work out, which basically makes voting for legislation piecemeal impossible. If you don't like laws full of unrelated issues that have nothing to do with the law in question, you can't support the current rules.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
The rule doesn't prevent law changes. It prevents voting on laws by going around and doing backroom deals until you can get what you think will work out, which basically makes voting for legislation piecemeal impossible. If you don't like laws full of unrelated issues that have nothing to do with the law in question, you can't support the current rules.
you seriously think that without the filibuster less backroom deals and things being unrelated will get passed and not more. I do no see how that's possible.

I'm saying that we should be passing and repealing large far reaching broad scope laws every single year or two. You'd get exactly what we have gotten with our executive orders. Crazy regulations, policies, and quasi non binding agreements, every time someone else gets into power. If are going to create laws that effect everyone in our country we should be damn sure and they should have broad broad support well beyond just half the states.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Because it's not. Individual rights are. Why would any minority every agree to grouping together with a majority if they don't have an equal say. Why the fuck should Idaho stay in or wherever stay in America when their policy is being dictated by people who live in big coastal cities far off from them. This union will not hold if we go pure majoritarian.

Every great atrocity of the 20th Century was the majority stripping rights away and dehumanizing minorities. In forcing the minority to adhere to what the majority wanted.
This is also not true. Apartheid was enacted by a minority. Countries like Ethiopia, Iraq and Zimbabwe were forced into dictatorships by minority groups. The Nazis were also a minority party in Germany before they murdered many of their political rivals and took advantage of a crisis to grow their popularity. The Red Scare was engineered by a small minority of members of Congress who staged a reign of terror to ruin people's lives. The "Gang of Four" in China used their influence as a committed minority to murder and imprison their political enemies. White minorities in parts of North and South Carolina and Oklahoma staged bloody riots to lynch and takeover cities run by black majorities. History and politics just aren't reducible to such simple just so tales and maxims. Few other countries have an analogous senate and somehow don't manage to annihilate minorities.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
you seriously think that without the filibuster less backroom deals and things being unrelated will get passed and not more. I do no see how that's possible.

I'm saying that we should be passing and repealing large far reaching broad scope laws every single year or two. You'd get exactly what we have gotten with our executive orders. Crazy regulations, policies, and quasi non binding agreements, every time someone else gets into power. If are going to create laws that effect everyone in our country we should be damn sure and they should have broad broad support well beyond just half the states.
First, why is half the contiguous states somehow more important than more than half the actual population? Just because you want to be one of the few people living in Wyoming, you get to dictate your desires to the majority of Americans living in other places? It's far more undemocratic to base the national will on geography rather than head count.

But these wild swings in law that you imagine happening depend on wild swings in electoral results, which are fairly uncommon. In both of our lifetimes, control of the house has only swung maybe 4 times.