General Shooting at Broward County high school, shooter still at large

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

sorry for being so technical but the shooter didn't spray and pray but fired in semi-auto mode. The AR-15 is actually designed for mid to long-range precision fire in a semi-mode. When we qualify m16 (Military version of AR), we shoot from 200, 300, and 500 yards all with Iron sights. (probably changed now due to all the high-speed gear and optics) but it's all these cowards and losers that give AR a bad name, who don't even know how to use them properly.
My friend who lives in Arizona, told me he hunts with the AR (they do have a rule, I think only can shoot certain animals and need to use a 10round mag). So the ARs do have some meaningful usability if you want to hunt or practice your marksmanship fundamentals.
I guess I'm a hypocrite in a way since I do own an AR but I agree, for civilians, I think hunting should be done with bolt action or bows, and home or personal protection should be done with pistols and shotguns because of anything beyond seems like over-kill. Maybe, they can open up a training facility for assault rifles where you can't take the gun with you but do all kinds of training at the facility if anyone needs their assault rifle fix.
As of reality, implementing super detail mental screening and gun training to own guns like AR, which is far more accurate and dangerous than shorter range pistols is probably where they should start if they want changes.
I agree with you 100%, but we can't get lawmakers and NRAers to agree that high capacity magazines shouldn't be allowed (because you know, 2nd Amendment and Constitutional rights :expressionless: ). I agree that a hand gun and shotgun are the best for home/personal protection, and a training facility for those who want to fire AR's. The thing is, it gets back to one of my original points, that is a logical solution, but if Lawmakers and dipshit Americans who feel that everyone wants to take their guns don't sit down and have a logical discussion to come up with great solutions like this, we are doomed to repeat the same cycle of violence and the "let's not jump to conclusions" rhetoric that occurs after every mass shooting.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I agree with you 100%, but we can't get lawmakers and NRAers to agree that high capacity magazines shouldn't be allowed (because you know, 2nd Amendment and Constitutional rights :expressionless: ). I agree that a hand gun and shotgun are the best for home/personal protection, and a training facility for those who want to fire AR's. The thing is, it gets back to one of my original points, that is a logical solution, but if Lawmakers and dipshit Americans who feel that everyone wants to take their guns don't sit down and have a logical discussion to come up with great solutions like this, we are doomed to repeat the same cycle of violence and the "let's not jump to conclusions" rhetoric that occurs after every mass shooting.
since we're now discussing possible logical conclusions.. Let's say the govt banned AR-15's & large capacity magazines, what do you do with those already in existence? Will the govt go door to door to get them, & what penalties will there be for those that refuse? Let's hypothetically say the govt has banned AR-15's & large capacity magazines & rounded up all that are in existence in the country, when school shootings start happening with a different type of gun, what should the response from the govt be?

M

member 603

since we're now discussing possible logical conclusions.. Let's say the govt banned AR-15's & large capacity magazines, what do you do with those already in existence? Will the govt go door to door to get them, & what penalties will there be for those that refuse? Let's hypothetically say the govt has banned AR-15's & large capacity magazines & rounded up all that are in existence in the country, when school shootings start happening with a different type of gun, what should the response from the govt be?
If I had an immediate answer, I would have proposed it to the world after the first incident. I don't have an answer, all I have is a desire to have a logical discussion to find a reasonable solution to a horrific epidemic that has happen WAY THE FUCK TO MUCH in the last several years.... The fact that a dialogue can be established is honestly the first step in the process.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
So anyone that doesnt follow your narrative is a "dipshit American"? And then you wonder why no one wants to discuss this with your side. You answered all your questions with your own 2 words

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
If I had an immediate answer, I would have proposed it to the world after the first incident. I don't have an answer, all I have is a desire to have a logical discussion to find a reasonable solution to a horrific epidemic that has happen WAY THE FUCK TO MUCH in the last several years.... The fact that a dialogue can be established is honestly the first step in the process.
I was simply asking questions which would lead you to the logical conclusions of what you've said should be done

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm a little bit on the go so not sure if this was already posted...

FBI apologizes, says it failed to probe tip on school shooter Nikolas Cruz
The FBI issued an extraordinary apology Friday afternoon, revealing that it had received a tip on Jan. 5, 2018, that Nikolas Cruz was acting erratically and may have been planning a school shooting. The agency failed to act on the tip.

How could we have ever known this was going to happen?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Unfucking real

It gets better gentleman.

The January phone call was the second tip the FBI had received flagging Cruz’s plan to become a school shooter. The first came in September 2017 when a YouTube vlogger, Ben Bennight, reported that user “nikolas cruz” had left a chilling comment on one of his videos. “I’m going to be a professional school shooter,” it read. Bennight, a Mississippi-based bail bondsman, said that the FBI sent two agents to interview him the next day. They also took a screen shot of the comment, before YouTube took it down.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

The January phone call was the second tip the FBI had received flagging Cruz’s plan to become a school shooter. The first came in September 2017 when a YouTube vlogger, Ben Bennight, reported that user “nikolas cruz” had left a chilling comment on one of his videos. “I’m going to be a professional school shooter,” it read. Bennight, a Mississippi-based bail bondsman, said that the FBI sent two agents to interview him the next day. They also took a screen shot of the comment, before YouTube took it down.
In this day and age and the fuckwits did fuck all......fucking too busy having coke parties with whores......

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017

There needs to be a house cleaning at the FBI, it hasn't been a banner year for them & now 17 people are dead b/c they couldn't pay this nut a visit? They did visit this guy & prevented these guys from bombing a school https://nypost.com/2018/02/15/feds-bust-twin-brothers-from-the-bronx-for-trying-to-build-bombs/

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Saying that you're going to be a "professional school shooter" sounds more like a joke than anything.

They're worried about it enough to interview the guy that made the tip, but then failed to forward that tip to the Miami Field office to interview the person that made it.

It would have taken 15 minutes of Google Foo to link his comment to his social media that show dead animals and him holding guns.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
They're worried about it enough to interview the guy that made the tip, but then failed to forward that tip to the Miami Field office to interview the person that made it.

It would have taken 15 minutes of Google Foo to link his comment to his social media that show dead animals and him holding guns.
But then what do you do? You have a guy who has pictures of guns and a dismembered frog. What do you charge him with? Do you assign people to just follow and spy on him until he does something? Just seems real easy to draw conclusions in hindsight but I bet there are tons of people who photograph themselves with guns and are harmless.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015

And we are suppose to trust those jokers to keep us safe?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Something very radical: what about a small tax addition to all guns and ammo that would pay for/subsidize security in schools?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
But then what do you do?

Prioritize the second tip that came in saying he was acting erratic and might be planning a school shooting? Because now you have two data points saying this guy is trouble?

Or I don't know, maybe if people say over and over online they plan to shoot people and kill them, maybe that visit from the FBI gets their guns taken away??

I mean, I own multiple guns including the scary black rifle, and never have I posted online saying I was going to shoot somebody.

Separate from this, you really should read The Wall Street Journal link I posted earlier. School Shooters are not random and having pretty particular profile. It's not random that he was watching school shooter videos and making comments that he wanted to be like them.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
And we are suppose to trust those jokers to keep us safe?
Oh, I agree it's totally pathetic.
But I'm not totally cynical yet.

As gun owners, we owe a solution here somehow. Even if that solution is legislative and harassing or Congressman, I am convinced there has to be a way to implement laws and processes to reflect the societal understanding that you and I are having right here.

Obviously the FBI processes are broken. But if we don't get this fixed, it just gives a vacuum for non gun owners to do their own lobbying for heavy-handed moves against legal and non-violent owners.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Does anyone have any idea how many tips on possible future school shooters are sent to the FBI? Maybe local-level training, hotlines, task forces, etc. are part of the answer too.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
If everyone can come together and come up with a plan, that doesn’t harm but benefits all sides, I’ll be willing to work with that and possibly leading to giving up my AR, and just have fun with pistols and shottys

M

member 3289

Does anyone have any idea how many tips on possible future school shooters are sent to the FBI? Maybe local-level training, hotlines, task forces, etc. are part of the answer too.
Apparently one of Cruz's friends called the main FBi tipline but for some reason the call wasn't forwarded to the Miami field office.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
It won’t happen overnight and not in our generation but at least it will invite the idea of it not being okay. Probably not in our generation even but something has to happen for future children felling safer when they go to school.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015

Prioritize the second tip that came in saying he was acting erratic and might be planning a school shooting? Because now you have two data points saying this guy is trouble?

Or I don't know, maybe if people say over and over online they plan to shoot people and kill them, maybe that visit from the FBI gets their guns taken away??

I mean, I own multiple guns including the scary black rifle, and never have I posted online saying I was going to shoot somebody.

Separate from this, you really should read The Wall Street Journal link I posted earlier. School Shooters are not random and having pretty particular profile. It's not random that he was watching school shooter videos and making comments that he wanted to be like them.
I agree they do have a particular profile, but my thought is that there are a TON of kids who could also fall into that profile who are harmless. And you know there are a ton of people who talk shit online, saying they're going to do this and do that - most of which is just to be shocking and outrageous. And of course what is meant to be a joke can sometimes not translate well and might insinuate an intent the author never meant.

Like that Adam Lanza kid - people talked about how he spent all his time in his room on the computer and playing violent video games like that was a red flag... I mean that's kind of our reality now, lots of kids spend their lives playing video games now a days. So the FBI visits them, they say "oh I'm so sorry about the 'pro school shooter' thing, that was just a joke. And I only posted those gun pics because I love guns and thought it was cool." Where do you go on that?