Society The Donald J. Trump Show - 4 more years editions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
*yawn*
This is what you sound like:

I have no problem with anyone kneeling for the anthem, I'm just calling out stupidity and ineffective tactics.

If these guys have a problem with perceived police racism/brutality, Trump, etc, by all means call them out on it. Do interviews. Organize rallies. Create organizations. Encourage people to contact politicians and demand reform. Etc etc etc.

But when you do such a generalized protest with no clear goal or means of achieving what you want, it's a waste of time. People aren't talking about these issues, all they've done is create a ton of white noise and distracted heavily from their cause. And this is why absolutely nothing will come of these "protests".

If you find the truth boring, that's fine, but I'm 100% right.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I have no problem with anyone kneeling for the anthem, I'm just calling out stupidity and ineffective tactics.
If you find the truth boring, that's fine, but I'm 100% right.
You can't seem to make up your mind.
You "have no problem with anyone kneeling for the anthem" and in the same sentence suggest that you do in fact have a problem with it by calling it "stupidity and ineffective tactics."

Ergo you can't possibly be anywhere near "100% right"... unless you're a tad schizophrenic, then of course each personality could be right about everything.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Your confusing complying with laws and complying with police, which are two different things.
I'm not the one who's confused. MLK's entire movement was based on civil disobedience, which specifically includes ignoring police dispersal orders, parading without permission, and occupying public spaces without permission. There are plenty of video examples of police attacking protestors who were part of King's movement.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I'm not the one who's confused. MLK's entire movement was based on civil disobedience, which specifically includes ignoring police dispersal orders, parading without permission, and occupying public spaces without permission. There are plenty of video examples of police attacking protestors who were part of King's movement.
Obviously you are confused, because you're trying to debunk me by listing a bunch of things that he did that I never disputed he did. Maybe you can produce a video/article documenting MLK attacking an arresting officer, or advising his followers to attack police officers. He preached non violence.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
You can't seem to make up your mind.
You "have no problem with anyone kneeling for the anthem" and in the same sentence suggest that you do in fact have a problem with it by calling it "stupidity and ineffective tactics."

Ergo you can't possibly be anywhere near "100% right"... unless you're a tad schizophrenic, then of course each personality could be right about everything.
Wow, you're not the brightest sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? :D I'll try to explain this as carefully as I can for you.

In your first sentence, you make the moronic assumption that because I think an action is stupid, I have a problem with people doing it. I have absolutely no problem with people doing dumb shit, or shit I wouldn't do myself, as long as it's not hurting other people. If a guy wants to get "HARDKORE" tattoo'd on his forehead, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's stupid as hell, but I have no problem with it. I think most people here would agree - we've all spent hundreds of hours laughing at people doing stupid shit on YouTube.

So while I think the kneeling protest is dumb and ineffective (it is), I have no problem with people doing it. If they think they're saving the world, good for them. In fact, if you go into that thread Splinty made, you'll see me smashing Trump and right wingers for getting so butt hurt over it.

I can't explain that any simpler so if you still don't get it, I'm sorry. It's hilarious seeing these jokers talk about how stupid Trump is, and you can't have a worthwhile conversation with most of them. It's like talking to a 8 year old here, jeez.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Wow, you're not the brightest sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? :D I'll try to explain this as carefully as I can for you.

In your first sentence, you make the moronic assumption that because I think an action is stupid, I have a problem with people doing it. I have absolutely no problem with people doing dumb shit, or shit I wouldn't do myself, as long as it's not hurting other people. If a guy wants to get "HARDKORE" tattoo'd on his forehead, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's stupid as hell, but I have no problem with it. I think most people here would agree - we've all spent hundreds of hours laughing at people doing stupid shit on YouTube.

So while I think the kneeling protest is dumb and ineffective (it is), I have no problem with people doing it. If they think they're saving the world, good for them. In fact, if you go into that thread Splinty made, you'll see me smashing Trump and right wingers for getting so butt hurt over it.

I can't explain that any simpler so if you still don't get it, I'm sorry. It's hilarious seeing these jokers talk about how stupid Trump is, and you can't have a worthwhile conversation with most of them. It's like talking to a 8 year old here, jeez.
You seem.... #triggered at being exposed for your abject stupidity and obvious prejudice....

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
You seem.... #triggered at being exposed for your abject stupidity and obvious prejudice....
Nah I love making libs look stupid and talking down to them like they're children. I just dookied all over you in front of everyone and that's all you got? A weak "triggered" troll? I'm putting up wins like Mayweather here today lol

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Secret Service protection for Donald Trump Jr. reactivated: report
Donald Trump Jr. reportedly has his Secret Service protection back, sources told CNN.

The news comes after a previous report that Trump Jr. gave up his protection from the Secret Service because of privacy concerns.

A senior administration official told The New York Times earlier this month the Secret Service had stopped protecting Trump Jr.

The Secret Service would not confirm the previous report.

Sean Spicer Lawyers Up As Russia Probe Heats Up
Sean Spicer has lawyered up.

The president’s former press secretary has tapped Chris Mead, a high-powered criminal defense attorney based, to handle issues related to the special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe, The Daily Beast has learned.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Obviously you are confused, because you're trying to debunk me by listing a bunch of things that he did that I never disputed he did.
Try to keep up, you fucking halfwit. You argued that he didn't encourage people to "refuse to comply with the police." You were 100% wrong. MLK would've been completely on board with all of this nonviolent kneeling that melts fragile little snowflakes like you.

Acknowledge your mistake and move on, or just stop posting about the civil rights movement and other shit you obviously do not understand.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Protesters Banned At Jeff Sessions Lecture On Free Speech
Attorney General Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III visited the Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. today in order to give a lecture on Freedom of Speech.

The attorney general–or perhaps the law school administration–has a somewhat picayune concept of that notion, however, as over 100 student protesters were barred from attending the event. Those students had initially signed up for the event, and then received invites, only to later have those invitations revoked.

Law student Greyson Wallis spoke to the Washington Post about the dis-invitation. She said:

It seemed like they were rescinding those invites because they didn’t want any sort of hostile environment, and I can understand not wanting to have a violent environment, but that’s not at all what we were trying to do. We’re law students. We all just wanted to hear what he had to say and let him know where we differ from his opinions.

Lauren Phillips, one of the student organizers of the protest, took her criticism even further, telling NPR, “It’s incredibly ironic that the attorney general wants to come here to talk about free speech but is excluding dissenting voices and potentially dissenting questions from his speech.”

As Sessions read prepared remarks about plans to “defend free speech,” as attorney general, some students managed to silently protest him inside the auditorium by duct-taping their mouths shut.

Meanwhile, hundreds of students and dozens of law professors protested the speech as well–standing outside the building with signs and chanting through bullhorns as Sessions spoke.

The outside protest began with attendees taking a knee in an apparent nod of solidarity to embattled NFL players who have picked up the protests started by former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick during the 2016 NFL season.

During a question-and-answer session after the speech, Sessions was asked to address those protests–aimed at addressing police brutality and racism–occurring during the national anthem at NFL games. He then defended President Trump’s controversial comments and said:

The players aren’t subject to any prosecution, but if they take a provocative act, they can expect to be condemned. The president had a right to condemn them, and I would condemn their actions, not them as a human being. People have a right to register their opinions, to protest, to criticize in any number of ways. I guess it’s up to the owners and the people who create these games and pay for the ballfields to decide what you can do on a ballfield. But the freedom of every individual player is paramount under the Constitution, it’s protected, and we have to protect it. I think that is not a contradiction there.

Tanya Weinberg, a spokesperson for the law school,told The Post that “At events like today’s. we designate protest areas to allow free expression on campus in a manner that upholds safety and security and minimizes potential disruptions to learning. Additionally, students in the auditorium were allowed to protest in a way that did no disrupt the event.”

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Try to keep up, you fucking halfwit. You argued that he didn't encourage people to "refuse to comply with the police." You were 100% wrong. MLK would've been completely on board with all of this nonviolent kneeling that melts fragile little snowflakes like you.

Acknowledge your mistake and move on, or just stop posting about the civil rights movement and other shit you obviously do not understand.
lol@ this new trend of libs trying to "take back" the term snowflake to counter-troll. It doesn't work, we know you're a cuck and those words are being typed with an exceptionally limp wrist. :D

I'll make it simple for you too: my point was that MLK preached non violence and complied with arresting officers, unlike most people who end up getting shot by police. I never said he did everything the cops told him to in terms of laws. I never even said he wouldn't be on board with the kneeling. Again, you're trying to debunk arguments I never made, because you're a dumb guy who has a few talking points that he wants to regurgitate and nothing else of substance to add.

But he would 100% be against thugs like Michael Brown attacking police officers and getting his dumb head shot off. He'd be against that other guy who got shot after ramming into a police car. If you think these are the people MLK was supporting you need to go back and read a book, dumb dumb.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Nah I love making libs look stupid and talking down to them like they're children. I just dookied all over you in front of everyone and that's all you got? A weak "triggered" troll? I'm putting up wins like Mayweather here today lol
LOL. Keep fighting those imaginary libs!!!

Still doesn't change the fact that deep down you know you sound stupid for denigrating peaceful kneeling protests by quoting Martin Luther King when they are protesting for the very thing he stood for.
I know it hurts to be exposed, and deep down you know you fucked up, but you'll live and you'll learn.
Now go git dem libs!

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
LOL. Keep fighting those imaginary libs!!!

Still doesn't change the fact that deep down you know you sound stupid for denigrating peaceful kneeling protests by quoting Martin Luther King when they are protesting for the very thing he stood for.
I know it hurts to be exposed, and deep down you know you fucked up, but you'll live and you'll learn.
Now go git dem libs!
You got handled, now it's Maurice's turn. If you're still salty, ANTIFA are always recruiting. Go find a handkerchief to pull over your face and kick over a few mailboxes to let off some steam :D

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
You got handled, now it's Maurice's turn. If you're still salty, ANTIFA are always recruiting. Go find a handkerchief to pull over your face and kick over a few mailboxes to let off some steam :D
Inbred halfwit tactic #9: When exposed - sprinke insults & change topic.
Pst look behind you. There's a lib! And he's KNEELING! OMG!!!! Git 'er dun!

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
U.S. denies request for Puerto Rico shipping waiver
The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request to waive shipping restrictions to help get fuel and supplies to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, saying it would do nothing to address the island’s main impediment to shipping, damaged ports.

The Jones Act limits shipping between coasts to U.S. flagged vessels. However, in the wake of brutal storms, the government has occasionally issued temporary waivers to allow the use of cheaper, tax free, or more readily available foreign flagged ships.

The Department of Homeland Security, which waived the act after hurricanes Harvey and Irma, did not agree an exemption would help this time.

On Monday, U.S. Representative Nydia Velázquez and seven other representatives asked Elaine Duke, acting head of Homeland Security, to waive the nearly 100-year-old shipping law for a year to help Puerto Rico recover from Hurricane Maria.Gregory Moore, a spokesman for Customs and Border Protection, an office of Homeland Security, said in a statement that an assessment by the agency showed there was “sufficient capacity” of U.S.-flagged vessels to move commodities to Puerto Rico.

“The limitation is going to be port capacity to offload and transit, not vessel availability,” Moore said.

The government’s rationale for a waiver after the storms hit Texas, Louisiana and Florida was to ease movement of fuel to places along the U.S. East Coast and make up for temporary outages of high capacity pipelines.

“The situation in Puerto Rico is much different,” Moore said in the statement, adding that most of the humanitarian effort would be carried out with barges, which make up a large portion of the U.S. flagged cargo fleet.

Puerto Rico has long railed against the Jones Act, saying it makes the cost of imported basic commodities, such as food, clothing and fuel, more expensive.

“Our dependence on fossil fuel imports by sea is hampering the restoration of services,” said Juan Declet-Barreto, an energy expert at the nonprofit group the Union of Concerned Scientists. The refusal to allow the waiver “is raising fears on the island that they are going to be left behind in this disaster.”

The United States shipped an average of nearly 770,000 barrels of crude oil and oil products like gasoline and diesel annually to Puerto Rico from 2012 to 2016.

Supporters of the Jones Act, including ship builders, have said it supports American jobs, including ones in Puerto Rico and keeps shipping routes reliable.

Republicans Senator John McCain and Representative Gary Palmer have supported measures to repeal the Jones Act.

Construction begins on Trump's border wall prototypes in Otay Mesa
The first steps in what President Donald Trump hopes will be a new era in border security began Tuesday when construction crews broke ground on prototype designs for a border wall, starting a 30-day sprint to construct eight examples in a fenced-off area on Otay Mesa.

Amid heavy security from state, local and federal agents wary of potential large-scale protests against the controversial project that have not materialized, four of the six private companies that won a national competition to build the designs began work in the morning.

San Diego police officers and county sheriff's deputies were out in force at intersections and along streets near the entrance to the construction site. Customs and Border Protection officers, Border Patrol agents, the Federal Protection Service and California Highway Patrol were also seen in the area.

Occasionally a flatbed truck with a piece of heavy machinery lumbered down Enrico Fermi Road, swung east and crept slowly down one of the dirt roads that stitch the mesa to the building site. But work at the site on the first day was slow, with only a few trucks and workers there.

Water tankers went in and out of the entrance to the building site, where work was already underway kicking up dust clouds, even with water dousing the dry and dusty location.

Authorities have been preparing the area for weeks, erecting chain-link fences, blocking road access with concrete barriers, installing security cameras and marking designated parking zones. Despite the preparations, authorities would not say when work would be starting, until now.

Despite the concerns of police there were no protests or demonstrators Tuesday. Agent Roy Villareal, the acting chief agent for the Border Patrol in San Diego, said at an afternoon news conference that protests don’t seem imminent.

“There is nothing that is indicative that a protest is about to occur,” he said. He added that the agency has spoken with local groups that “we anticipate may have an opposing view of the border wall,” and didn’t get any feedback that protests were planned.

That echoes what a spokesman for the advocacy groups Alliance San Diego told The San Diego Union-Tribune Monday. Hiram Soto said his organization and others were not mounting a protest because that wall was “political theater” that had no chance of ever being fully built out, as Trump has promised, because of Congressional opposition and no funding.

Villareal said a free speech area for any protests that may occur would be set up nearby, but the exact location was not confirmed by sheriff’s officials. The location identified by federal officials Tuesday is a dusty, unshaded, weed-choked lot overlooking Otay Mesa and more than 1.5 miles away from construction.

The potential for demonstrations also prompted the county Board of Supervisors Tuesday to pass an ordinance to give the county the power to create special zones where knives, sticks, bats, pepper spray, bricks, and other possible weapons are temporarily prohibited.

The ordinance, which takes effect immediately, allows the county’s chief administrative officer or designee to create “Temporary Area Restrictions” in unincorporated areas of the county where items that could be used as weapons are prohibited. Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor.

The ordinance is intended to protect First Amendment rights while keeping people safe, Supervisor Greg Cox said.

“I think our role is to make sure we provide an area where they can demonstrate if they choose,” he said. “Obviously we want to make sure it’s a peaceful demonstration.”

The law is necessary in the often tense political climate, Supervisor Dianne Jacob said.

“This is a divisive time in our nation’s history. And frankly, we already have a border fence in San Diego so I am not sure why we were targeted to do the prototypes here in San Diego. I think Texas would have been more appropriate, but it is what it is today,” Jacob said.

The city of San Diego has a similar ordinance, and the American Civil Liberties Union said it’s lawful for governments to, in certain circumstances, restrict the size or type of sign displayed if the ability to wave a sign isn’t restricted.

ACLU’s San Diego chapter said on its website that “a city may prohibit the use of metal stakes, clubs, and pipes at rallies, parades, or demonstrations, and it may require that any wooden stakes used for signs must be ¼ inch or less in thickness and 2 inches or less in width. But a city may not entirely prohibit the carrying of signs attached to any wooden or plastic handles.”

Four of the prototypes will be made of concrete while the other four will be made of alternate materials. All of the models will be between 18 to 30 feet high and 30 feet long.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
So, how come ou got sober?
Bunch of reasons. Without getting too personal (I don't mind getting personal but it makes for a longer explaination) I'm an old man (42) I was a heavy drinker since 16 years old and a daily drinker since I was 18. I always enjoyed drinking and to a large extent the chaos of it. I felt like I was good at drinking, I took a stupid pride in how much I could drink, and still (to my mind) keep my life in order. However somewhere along the line the drinking turned on me. It took me about 15 years longer than it should have but eventually I was honest with myself, swallowed my pride and admitted that drinking was kicking the shit out of me.
It almost seemed like I broke my off switch. I tried to slow down, but no matter my best intentions, I always drank until I couldn't drink anymore. I'd fully intend to have only a few drinks (in all other areas of my life I'm a pretty disciplined person), but it was always twenty.
I guess it's part of being an alcoholic but having 3 drinks for me is harder than having none. So now I just don't drink at all.
(Sorry that was still a long explanation)

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Trump defaulted on payments for his Puerto Rico golf course, leaving the territory with a $33 million tax debt
his near-deafening silence on the devastating situation in Puerto Rico with a series of tweets that tried to switch the narrative away from the fact that millions of people in the U.S. territory could be without power for up to six months and instead play up the island’s massive debt. But one thing the president failed to mention is the part he played in that mounting financial crisis.

Texas & Florida are doing great but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble..

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 26, 2017

…It’s old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars….

…owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities – and doing well. #FEMA

Long before Hurricanes Irma or Maria decimated much of Puerto Rico’s physical structures, the island was already in trouble. Earlier this year, faced with $123 billion in debt (and growing), the U.S. territory took the unprecedented step of essentially declaring bankruptcy. But according to PolitiFact Florida, POTUS (before he was POTUS) only exacerbated the problem.

In May, Trump made it clear that he had little interest in helping Puerto Rico’s debt situation:

The Democrats want to shut government if we don’t bail out Puerto Rico and give billions to their insurance companies for OCare failure. NO!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2017

That tweet sparked the interest of the Florida Democratic Party, which issued a statement that very same:

“Puerto Ricans are tax-paying, American citizens, though it isn’t surprising that Donald Trump clearly doesn’t know those non-alternative facts. Trump is simply lying: the negotiations being discussed are not a ‘bailout,’ but would help provide desperately needed access to healthcare for seniors and children on the island. Instead of using Puerto Rican families as scapegoats and bargaining chips for the disastrous Republican budget process that will likely lead to a government shutdown, he should pay back the nearly $33 million he owes Puerto Rican taxpayers after yet another one of his businesses defaulted on the island.”

That failed business venture they were referring to was the Trump International Golf Club Puerto Rico, which, according to Fortune, borrowed $26.4 million in government-backed bonds in order to pay for improvements, but later defaulted on a $119,814 to bondholders. In 2015, the club filed for bankruptcy, which is when Trump (who licensed his name to the property) desperately tried to distance himself from the place bearing his unbearable name.

“We have zero financial investment in this course,” Eric Trump (the vampire-looking one) told Bloomberg News in July 2015. “This has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. This is a separate owner. We purely manage the golf course.”

Except that Trump, according to BuzzFeed News, did pocket the hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees from the resort, and when the club defaulted on those bonds and declared bankruptcy, left Puerto Rico’s taxpayers with a hefty $32.7 million bill to pay in order to clean up the soon-to-be-president’s mess.

So the next time you hear #45 swearing that he’s going to make America great again, ask him if his version of America includes Puerto Rico, too.
[/URL]

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Trump fuming over Price's charter flights
President Donald Trump and his top aides are fuming over Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price’s use of expensive private jets, with some advisers privately calling for Price’s ouster.

Trump rebuked Price in sharp terms Wednesday but declined to bat down speculation that the HHS chief could be fired for his lavish spending of taxpayer dollars.

“We’ll see,” the president told reporters when asked whether Price would stay in his job.

“I was looking into it, and I will look into it. And I will tell you personally, I’m not happy about it,” Trump said. “I am not happy about it. I’m going to look at it. I am not happy about it, and I let him know it.”

Administration officials said that Price is safe for now.

POLITICO has revealed that Price has flown 26 times on private aircraft since last May at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, a break with the practice of his predecessors, who generally took commercial flights.

Some Trump advisers are urging Trump to get rid of Price, according to three people familiar with the conversations.

Trump Administration Proposes to Cut Refugee Cap to 45,000
The Trump administration on Wednesday proposed admitting a maximum of 45,000 refugees next year, the lowest cap in decades, which officials said was necessary to ensure U.S. security, although Democrats and humanitarian groups blasted the decision as an abandonment of American moral authority.

That figure is the lowest cap since the modern U.S. refugee admissions system was established in 1980, and the administration's decision was harshly criticized by refugee advocates who say it ignores growing humanitarian crises around the world. The report also projects slashing funding to the refugee resettlement program by 25 percent.

"The security and safety of the American people is our chief concern," a U.S. official said in a call with reporters on Wednesday, speaking on condition of anonymity. "We have every plan to process as many refugees as we can under this ceiling."

A second U.S. official said the administration is considering a "wide range of potential measures and enhancements" to refugee vetting, in accordance with a January executive order from President Donald Trump, though the official gave no further details.

The lower refugee cap is a continuation of Trump's hardline stance on immigration. He made the issue a focus during the presidential campaign, advocating for a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico and the deportation of immigrants in the country illegally, and saying that Syrian refugees fleeing their country's civil war present a security threat to the United States.

Many national security experts argue that refugees do not present a danger to the United States because they are already among the most highly vetted immigrants to gain admittance to the United States, going through a grueling process that takes 18 to 24 months on average.
The proposed refugee limit represents a cut of more than half from the refugee ceiling set last year by former President Barack Obama, and is much lower than the 75,000 limit suggested by refugee advocates this year. It is also lower than the 50,000 cap Trump set in an executive order shortly after he took office in January.

The administration proposed taking in a maximum of 19,000 refugees from Africa, 5,000 from East Asia, 2,000 from Europe and Central Asia, 1,500 from Latin America and the Caribbean, and 17,500 from the Middle East and South Asia.

Democratic Representatives John Conyers and Zoe Lofgren said the administration's decision "is an abdication of our moral authority, and an abandonment of the very values that make America great."

Republican Representative Raul Labrador, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee's immigration subcommittee, said in a statement the lower cap sets a "more manageable level" for refugee admissions.

The Wednesday report said that at the end of 2016, the estimated refugee population worldwide reached 22.5 million, an increase of 1.1 million in just one year.

GROWING BACKLOG

Administration officials said one reason for the lower cap is that Department of Homeland Security staff are being re-directed to deal with a growing backlog of cases of people already in the United States and seeking asylum for fear of persecution. The State Department report said there are now nearly 300,000 asylum applications pending with DHS.

Refugees, as opposed to asylees, apply to come to the United States while they are still overseas. DHS officials who specialize in processing refugees abroad are being re-assigned to handle asylum cases in the United States, a change from previous practice.

Officials warned that the final number of refugees allowed to come into the United States next year will depend on DHS' "interviewing capacity."

"But this number was reached after taking a look at these requirements, and we believe that we can get into the ballpark of this number, of this ceiling," one U.S. official said.

There are at least 58,000 refugees who were ready for travel under the 2017 fiscal year quota and weren't able to come to the United States because of Trump's lower 2017 cap, said Jen Smyers, of the refugee resettlement agency Church World Service. Of those, around 22,000 already had guarantees from agencies that handle refugee resettlement in the United States, she said.

Immigration law requires the administration to submit the refugee report to Congress before the start of each fiscal year, and then consult with top members of relevant committees prior to the start of the fiscal year on Oct. 1.

Congressional officials received the administration's report in hard-copy form on Wednesday less than three hours before a scheduled consultation between cabinet officials and top Republicans and Democrats in the House and Senate, one Congressional aide said. The late delivery of the report makes the consultation close to meaningless, aides complained.

In 2016, the Obama administration released its own refugee report on Sept. 15.

"If we have not received the report in advance, there is pretty much nothing to consult on," said the aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Refugee advocacy groups said that while previous consultations had been close to the deadline set for announcing the cap, it was unusual for the report to be sent to Congress on the same day as the consultation meeting.