Lifestyle The GOAT cuisine per continent in your opinion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Depends where you live. The Viets call it by about 6 different names.
Really? not the case down here, the only thing that differs here is the name of the types of Pho IE Pho tai lai is a large rare beef noodle soup but ive seen the same dish called other things in other restaurants. Or did you mean the pronunciation?

Also get you rare beef served on the side and add it to the broth as you go, fuck getting that rubbery grey meat

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Really? not the case down here, the only thing that differs here is the name of the types of Pho IE Pho tai lai is a large rare beef noodle soup but ive seen the same dish called other things in other restaurants. Or did you mean the pronunciation?
I meant more specifically their pronunciation. The FOB Viets say it's pronounced "Fuh" but "Fo" is both accepted and more common.

It's weird that the name of the dish would change between restaurants, but based on previous conversations we've had I question the quality of Pho you guys have available.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I meant more specifically their pronunciation. The FOB Viets say it's pronounced "Fuh" but "Fo" is both accepted and more common.
Yeah its a tonal language, the viets say my friends who grew up here will pronounce it "fo" their parents "Fah" but everyone makes fun of the word when ordering and says "Faaaaaar!" with an inflection at the end.

It's weird that the name of the dish would change between restaurants, but based on previous conversations we've had I question the quality of Pho you guys have available.
Its called Pho at every restaurant its just the type of Pho that differs in its description, we have Viet restaurants run by viets, some run by viets of chinese origin which are not so good then theres the mainland chinese trying to pass off viet food or pass them selves off as viet.

Not to sound abrasive but we have more Vietnamese, better beef than you guys and a climate which is closer to Vietnams than Canada's is, maybe im just not doing ours justice but I reckon our Pho is fine. Not saying its better than in NA but do they have pho restaurants in Canada or America that Vietnamese and other overseas visitors travel to eat at? we do here it is ;

AN RESTAURANT

^^ Youre not even allowed to talk after your meal here, eat your pho and fuck off there's a 50m line of people at any time outside waiting...

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Its called Pho at every restaurant its just the type of Pho that differs in its description, we have Viet restaurants run by viets, some run by viets of chinese origin which are not so good then theres the mainland chinese trying to pass off viet food or pass them selves off as viet.
We've only got Vietnamese restaurants run by Viets. Chinese people run Chinese restaurants.

Not to sound abrasive but we have more Vietnamese
You sure about that? At our 2011 census we had 220k Vietnamese-Canadians.

At the 2006 Census, 173,663 Australian residents declared themselves to be of Vietnamese ancestry.
better beef than you guys
Debatable.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
We've only got Vietnamese restaurants run by Viets. Chinese people run Chinese restaurants.
Here there is cross over but Viets would never run a Chinese restaurants but im willing to bet that you have Viet restaurants run by ethnic chinese, they just look the same to you but I can tell them apart.

You sure about that? At our 2011 census we had 220k Vietnamese-Canadians.
2 things first youre comparing 2006 wtih 2011 numbers, also a fuck ton of our Viets arent Aussie citizens, they keep their Viet citizenship and run business between the two countries so often youll have mum and kids who are aussie citizens and then dad keeps his viet citizenship for commerical reasons.

Viets arrived here by small boats, we bore the brunt of their exodus, you guys got the ones rich enough to fly half way across the globe.

Debatable.
No its not Johny stop playing silly buggers with me mate, Bison dont count.. :)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I wouldnt feed Filipino food to my dog. That Chicken Adobo shit the rage about is British level cuisine. Banana ketchup and roast chicken is the goods though
Not good enough for dogs is perhaps a bit harsh lol :D (I'm excluding balut and durian, those are two of my least favorite things on the planet)

I've been there and had some really good food, and my MIL makes a few dishes that are great. The problem is that recipes, especially with something like adobo, are highly variable both in recipe and the quality. Adobo is the sort of dish that everyone has their own recipe or own twist on, so it's different literally every single place you get it. Recipes vary regionally as well (more Spanish in some places, more Asian in others. And then a different blend of the two regionally). My wife and MIL make great adobo, but I've definitely had the lower end adobo that wasn't anything to write home about, so I get what you're saying somewhat.

Agree with you about the roasted chickens (lechón manok) though, that's a staple over there. Good stuff.

Banana ketchup was surprisingly better than I expected

Lumpia is fine, but again highly variable. Only so much you can do with egg rolls IMO

Kinilaw is awesome (sort of like ceviche). Swordfish and red snapper were my favorite fish in that. One of my favorite dishes there.

Crispy pata (fried pig knuckle) was also something I liked quite a bit. I think it's a soy/vinegar marinade.

Sisig is pretty damn good, but again varies a lot.

Pancit is good, more of a side dish IMO. Again, highly variable in recipe and quality.

And last, but certainly not least...don't you dare insult Lechón! How could you not like Lechón!?

Welcome back mild-Vutu :D

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
they just look the same to you but I can tell them apart.
Very disappointed in you.

2 things first youre comparing 2006 wtih 2011 numbers
Feel free to bring forward 2011 stats.

you guys got the ones rich enough to fly half way across the globe.
Actually, we paid for them to come here.

No its not Johny stop playing silly buggers with me mate
Until you have something on which you base your statement it certainly is.

Bison dont count.
Bison > Cattle in every possible facet. If I could afford to eat bison meat in place of beef I'd never be responsible for the death of another cow.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
See you in a bit guys, I gotta knock some work on its head or ill get fired.

Johny take that as a backpedaling if you like but "ill be back" :)

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Africa-Ethiopian
Asia-Japanese
Antarctica-Polar bear
Europe-Southern French
North America-Southern US
Oceania-Polynesian
South America-Argentinian

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Africa-Ethiopian
Asia-Japanese
Antarctica-Polar bear
Europe-Southern French
North America-Southern US
Oceania-Polynesian
South America-Argentinian
You spelled Melanesian wrong :)

Seriously though Pacific Islander food is good but traditionally they had VERY limited produce to work with, virtually no land animals besides the polynesian fowl (and humans) to work with. My grandfather singe handily hunted the polynesian fowl into extinction in Fiji, I shit you not. He also decimated the natural sandalwood forests in the western side of Fiji in his short life time.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Wtf do Ethiopian people eat?

I didn't even think they had enough ingredients to constitute a menu.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

lol that was due to a famine caused by a combination of war and drought in the 80's IIRC, world vision started their sponsor a child TV campaign towards the late 80's too so that stuck in everyone's mind.

Q) How do you get an Ethiopian to jump off a cliff?
A) Throw a cheeseburger off the edge

Ahhhh grade 3 good times..

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

The food is delicious, especially if you like meat. If you haven't been to an ethiopian restaurant, Google one in your area and go. Order the injera meat combo.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The food is delicious, especially if you like meat. If you haven't been to an ethiopian restaurant, Google one in your area and go. Order the injera meat combo.
Never had Ethiopian food, and to be honest I have zero idea what would even be on the menu.

I know there are a few places in town, but I've never been. Sounds like it's time for me and the wife to check it out.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Fucking food poisoning I reckon!

I am dying a slow death today.

Luckily I got some toilet paper yesterday.

Fucking curry

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Fucking food poisoning I reckon!

I am dying a slow death today.

Luckily I got some toilet paper yesterday.

Fucking curry

The typical Brit will drink 16 pints of lager then down a vindaloo and blame his after grog bog on the vindaloo.

SMH....

Try having a nice soothing lassi or glass of milk with your curry m8

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
What's a lassi?

Yogurt drink, anytime you eat something too spicy dairy will settle it at both ends IE take away the burning sensation in your mouth and relieve the gut.

If you cant ingest dairy then cucumber will sooth your mouth but do fuck all for the gut.

Then there's these lassi :)