The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Saw a bald eagle getting chased by 3 smaller eagles/hawks today just a couple blocks from my house.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I was out killing honeysuckle on the property after work today and spotted a large water vine. I figured it would be a good time for an educational post just in case one of you dumbasses ever got lost in the woods.

Step 1 - find a vine. Usually not too difficult.

20220502_191459.jpg

Cut about a 6' section out, keeping each end higher than the middle after it's cut to "trap" the water.

20220502_191045.jpg

Then tilt one end up and out comes the water. Pour it into a canteen for later, or you can go straight from the tap. It's perfectly fine to drink without boiling.

20220502_191109.jpg

Not recommended to drink from vines with "hair" all over them. Actually - don't even touch those. ?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was out killing honeysuckle on the property after work today and spotted a large water vine. I figured it would be a good time for an educational post just in case one of you dumbasses ever got lost in the woods.

View attachment 66964

Cut about a 6' section out, keeping each end higher than the middle after it's cut to "trap" the water.

View attachment 66965

Then tilt one end up and out comes the water. Pour it into a canteen for later, or you can go straight from the tap. It's perfectly fine to drink without boiling.

View attachment 66966

Not recommended to drink from vines with "hair" all over them. Actually - don't even touch those. ?
1651538872169.png

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Predator. Great movie. Poor practice in water gathering.
If I remember correctly, Billy just cut the vine and started drinking from the part still attached to the tree.

You'll get some water that way, but just like your house pipes, water flows better with a vent so you are better off cutting off a section to let the water flow.

So this might have been movie magic. Or maybe the vines in South America have much more water in them than the midwest. Let's go with both.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Predator. Great movie. Poor practice in water gathering.
If I remember correctly, Billy just cut the vine and started drinking from the part still attached to the tree.

You'll get some water that way, but just like your house pipes, water flows better with a vent so you are better off cutting off a section to let the water flow.

So this might have been movie magic. Or maybe the vines in South America have much more water in them than the midwest. Let's go with both.
Ummm

I would go spouting off to billy like that

Check out this clip I timestamped about billy on set...

View: https://youtu.be/wWhf-FgD-DA?t=386

If you haven't watched the 3 part making of predator I suggest it as well(it is on this guys youtube channel)

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Ummm

I would go spouting off to billy like that

Check out this clip I timestamped about billy on set...

View: https://youtu.be/wWhf-FgD-DA?t=386

If you haven't watched the 3 part making of predator I suggest it as well(it is on this guys youtube channel)
Haha. I've heard that story before.
Probably from The Rewatchables podcast. If you like movies, those are a great listen.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

View attachment 66964

View attachment 66965

View attachment 66966

I just found that out recently.
I had no idea wth it was.
Now I'll have a ton of them to excavate, what a terrible invention.
All 3 stages give out illness.

20220419_182013.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I just found that out recently.
I had no idea wth it was.
Now I'll have a ton of them to excavate, what a terrible invention.
All 3 stages give out illness.

View attachment 66982
What 3 stages? What illness?
Are you talking about honeysuckle?

The amount I have to remove will take me years. Bush Honeysuckle. Godforesaken satan bush from Asia. I hate it with all my being.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What 3 stages? What illness?
Are you talking about honeysuckle?

The amount I have to remove will take me years. Bush Honeysuckle. Godforesaken satan bush from Asia. I hate it with all my being.
No, poison ivy, that enchanting hairy vine.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
No, poison ivy, that enchanting hairy vine.

Poison Ivy sucks. It's very prevalent here and I'm pretty good at spotting it so I rarely get it. But I always have soap with me during hikes just in case. Nasty shit.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Poison Ivy sucks. It's very prevalent here and I'm pretty good at spotting it so I rarely get it. But I always have soap with me during hikes just in case. Nasty shit.
Spring is prime time here for it, and it's fucking everywhere right now. I've been out in it a ton lately, but like you said I'm always keeping any eye out and just try to avoid it. I'm the nagging supervisor that's all like "hey, you know you just set your backpack down in poison ivy, right?" lol

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Spring is prime time here for it, and it's fucking everywhere right now. I've been out in it a ton lately, but like you said I'm always keeping any eye out and just try to avoid it. I'm the nagging supervisor that's all like "hey, you know you just set your backpack down in poison ivy, right?" lol
I have a poison ivy vine in my front yard that is as thick as a beer can. I cut a 12" section out at the base, but I plan on waiting a couple years to get it off the tree. And even then, I will do it with great care.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I have a poison ivy vine in my front yard that is as thick as a beer can. I cut a 12" section out at the base, but I plan on waiting a couple years to get it off the tree. And even then, I will do it with great care.
That seems like a good plan. And I'm sure you know this, but don't burn it! I think they have a poison ivy specific herbicide now available at the standard box stores. Maybe that could help if the base starts sprouting again.

I remember reading a couple years ago about some dude that took some kids camping and he burned a bunch (on accident because he was a dolt) and they all got it really bad. Like in their eyes and lungs and stuff like that. What a maroon....

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Haha

"Hey look. A poisonous snake. Time for a selfie!"
I know, right?!

I see venomous snakes way more than I'd like to, and I don't care for it at all that much. Sometimes it's fine, but I've had some very close calls over the years.

But this guy is a herpetologist that loves snakes and lizards, particularly the dangerous ones. We've used him before to handle them and get them out of our way so we can do what we need to. He has absolutely no hesitation with it and has been doing it for years. He gets the biggest smile on his face when he's holding a rattler in his hands lol. That is not for me....

M

member 3289

Haha

"Hey look. A poisonous snake. Time for a selfie!"
In terms of behavior, a coral snake is about as harmless as a venomous snake can come. It lacks the fangs of a pit viper (e.g. rattlesnake or cottonmouth) and will always try to flee rather than bite. The very few bites that have occurred in the last 100 years have been when people handling it have refused to let it go. Coral snake anti-venin is no longer even made because bites are so extremely rare.

All that being said, it is still the most venomous snake in North America and I'm not getting within 3 feet of one, much less taking a selfie with one.