The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Saw this on iNat today. Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) eating an invasive Burmese python (Python bivittatus).

Appears to be a case of scavenging but large alligators have been known to kill and consume large pythons.

Screenshot_20220509-110145_iNaturalist.jpg

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I was clearing out some honeysuckle and heard this guy call a couple times. When I was heading back up to the house on the quad he flew right in front of me. I saw where he landed but he was looking the other way. I mimicked his call and he looked right at me. Money shot.

Barred Owl

20220510_193924.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Found some Virginia Creeper making it's way up a Sycamore. This stuff isn't terribly poisonous to the touch but if you are ripping through a bunch of it some people can get a rash from it.

Berries will appear late summer / eary fall. Sort of look like blueberries. They are very toxic if eaten. Can be fatal.

20220511_200742.jpg

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was clearing out some honeysuckle and heard this guy call a couple times. When I was heading back up to the house on the quad he flew right in front of me. I saw where he landed but he was looking the other way. I mimicked his call and he looked right at me. Money shot.

Barred Owl

View attachment 67515
He wants to fuck you and establish his dominance
Ball in your court now

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Interesting storm cloud forming overhead. It is about to unload here. As usual before a storm, gotta grab a beer and head to the porch. Well, in this case the garage - got the ball game on.

20220514_182532.jpg

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Planted some peppers today. Most we started from seed(many with seeds from last year's peppers) been raising them for the last couple months inside under the micro green lights.
Many already have peppers on them, been a very wet spring so they spent more time under the lights than they would in a usual year. Taking a chance putting them in as we still have some storms coming thru. I will put one of my mini greenhouses over them if needed. This spot gets full sun, full southern exposure. Perfect spot for a garden, we get huge yield on almost everything we plant.
IMG_20220514_195441709.jpg
20 Jalepeno plants
Last year we got approx 350-500 from 20 or so plants(long season because we had dry mild spring and an indian summer)

(8) Early Flame Variety on the right...Huge and Early, these are giant jalapeños

(12)Traveler Strain Variety on the left...Medium sized but a bit hotter than most

We do a lot with Jalepenos

IMG_20220514_195500077.jpgVariety Bed, Room for 25 plants

(4)Aleppo...Prized because they make a perfect crushed red pepper, sold in many stores and valued in many countries...red oily and flavorful

(1)Guajillo...1st year growing, not sure what to expect...says 4-7 inch hot red to brown chile

(2)Hole Mole...For making Mole, long dark red brown peppers with a smooth rich flavor

(2)Espelette...Great red pepper, I roast/dry/grind for an amazing red pepper flake...thin walls...from the Basque region...my lady is from Spain and she loves them

(1)Fresno...Med Hot red Pepper...Kind of like a large jalapeño but with thinner walls...I have eaten them but this is my first time growing one.

(2)Padron...Great for grinding red pepper, plant makes 30-50 peppers and grows very large..medium heat with great flavor

(2)Poblano...Amazing pepper, roast it and dry it or roast it and freeze it, thick flavorful dark green fruit goes well in almost anything...I make Chile Rellenos out of them...we roast/skin and chop them into lil chunks to add to soups/dishes

(1)Sweet Italian...Sweet, Yellow to Red...Up to 10 inches long...Low yield per plant

(2)Shishito...amazing wrinkly pepper that you roast or fry in a pan...great creamy pepper flavor with no heat, great appetizer or good for pepper flavor in Chili or any dish...plant makes well over 50 peppers if it gets big and healthy

(1)Gold Bell...Yellow Bell Pepper

(1)Aji Amarillo...Orange medium sized hot pepper with fruity flavor? Not sure...just growing this one for Filthy @Filthy...From Peru and used in many dishes

Will update their growth, it will be a pepper jungle by mid July

24 leftover plants to give away now

Last edited:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Planted some peppers today. Most we started from seed(many with seeds from last year's peppers) been raising them for the last couple months inside under the micro green lights.
Many already have peppers on them, been a very wet spring so they spent more time under the lights than they would in a usual year. Taking a chance putting them in as we still have some storms coming thru. I will put one of my mini greenhouses over them if needed. This spot gets full sun, full southern exposure. Perfect spot for a garden, we get huge yield on almost everything we plant.
View attachment 67815
20 Jalepeno plants
Last year we got approx 350-500 from 20 or so plants(long season because we had dry mild spring and an indian summer)

(8) Early Flame Variety on the right...Huge and Early, these are giant jalapeños

(12)Traveler Strain Variety on the left...Medium sized but a bit hotter than most

View attachment 67816Variety Bed, Room for 25 plants

(4)Aleppo...Prized because they make a perfect crushed red pepper, sold in many stores and valued in many countries...red oily and flavorful

(1)Guajillo...1st year growing, not sure what to expect...says 4-7 inch hot red to brown chile

(2)Hole Mole...For making Mole, long dark red brown peppers with a smooth rich flavor

(2)Espelette...Great red pepper, I roast/dry/grind for an amazing red pepper flake...thin walls...from the Basque region...my lady is from Spain and she loves them

(1)Fresno...Med Hot red Pepper...Kind of like a large jalapeño but with thinner walls...I have eaten them but this is my first time growing one.

(2)Padron...Great for grinding red pepper, plant makes 30-50 peppers and grows very large..medium heat with great flavor

(2)Poblano...Amazing pepper, roast it and dry it or roast it and freeze it, thick flavorful dark green fruit goes well in almost anything...I make Chile Rellenos out of them...we roast/skin and chop them into lil chunks to add to soups/dishes

(1)Sweet Italian...Sweet, Yellow to Red...Up to 10 inches long...Low yield per plant

(2)Shishito...amazing wrinkly pepper that you roast or fry in a pan...great creamy pepper flavor with no heat, great appetizer or good for pepper flavor in Chili or any dish...plant makes well over 50 peppers if it gets big and healthy

(1)Aji Amarillo...Orange medium sized hot pepper with fruity flavor? Not sure...just growing this one for Filthy @Filthy...From Peru and used in many dishes

Looks good bruv

M

member 3289

View attachment 67815
20 Jalepeno plants

View attachment 67816Variety Bed, Room for 25 plants

Wrong thread, dummy. Stop shitting up the outdoor thread with garden posts.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Saw a bunch of these guys yesterday getting some sun.

20220521_114033.jpg

I'm not too good at identifying lizards but I think this is a male broadhead skink. Little guy - maybe 8" long.

@conor mcgregor nut hugger can weigh in since this is more his bag.

M

member 3289

Saw a bunch of these guys yesterday getting some sun.

View attachment 68328

I'm not too good at identifying lizards but I think this is a male broadhead skink. Little guy - maybe 8" long.

@conor mcgregor nut hugger can weigh in since this is more his bag.
Good guess, as that's exactly what it is. Females and juveniles can be hard to distinguish from common five-lined skinks, but that big orange head makes this guy unmistakable.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Mrs. Scallop and I took a trip out to the coast yesterday. Found a beach we’d never been to before that is pretty sheltered from the wind. Can’t wait to go back when there’s some surf.E6E1515D-C228-4B39-8C7B-939CCB91DD61.jpeg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Red Bellied Woodpecker helping himself to the Hummingbird food. This is the same fucker that machine-guns my metal chimney cap at 7 AM in the Spring for 2 weeks.

20220522_094801.jpg

M

member 3289

Red Bellied Woodpecker helping himself to the Hummingbird food. This is the same fucker that machine-guns my metal chimney cap at 7 AM in the Spring for 2 weeks.

View attachment 68489
They bitch at me if I pass by them without throwing them food. Like I'm always carrying peanuts in my pocket or some shit.

But anyway I'm glad he annoys you. Lol fuck u