The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
that is odd and coincidental that you guys are discussing wolves I had an encounter with a wolf in northern CA recently I thought it ws a coyote at first because I'm used to coyotes.
Where was that? I haven't come across either, I only found out recently that coyotes can be dangerous.

M

member 3289

that is odd and coincidental that you guys are discussing wolves I had an encounter with a wolf in northern CA recently I thought it ws a coyote at first because I'm used to coyotes.
Are you sure it was a wolf?

I didn't think there were any wolves in California but it turns out there is a single pack in Lassen County.

M

member 3289

Where was that? I haven't come across either, I only found out recently that coyotes can be dangerous.
Coyotes aren't dangerous to people who know how to defend themselves.

But in all seriousness I saw a coyote walking through a park in broad daylight in San Francisco. That shit tripped me out. We have coyotes in Florida but they're never that bold.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Coyotes aren't dangerous to people who know how to defend themselves.

But in all seriousness I saw a coyote walking through a park in broad daylight in San Francisco. That shit tripped me out. We have coyotes in Florida but they're never that bold.
Christ. I always just thought they were like prairie dogs that didn’t do any harm.

M

member 3289

Christ. I always just thought they were like prairie dogs that didn’t do any harm.
I would never think to be afraid of a coyote. If one attacked me it would undoubtedly do some damage, but said attack will never happen (save for a rabid animal) because the coyote and I both know that I'm gonna be the one walking away from that encounter.

It's why people like you baffle me. Are you also afraid of housecats?

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I would never think to be afraid of a coyote. If one attacked me it would undoubtedly do some damage, but said attack will never happen (save for a rabid animal) because the coyote and I both know that I'm gonna be the one walking away from that encounter.

It's why people like you baffle me. Are you also afraid of housecats?
I've had house cats, I haven't had many coyotes. I've never even seen a wild dog so I don't know where that comparison comes from. It's fear of the unknown if you read a few horror stories. I went apeshit when I saw a lizard in my apartment and drove to my friend's for a couple of days. I knew it wasn't going to hurt me, I just didn't like it.

M

member 3289

And faux bravado aside, you just said it would do some damage! Why would that not be scary?!
I'm going to be wary around a coyote, but it's also going to run before I get too close to it. But if you show any fear you've already lost.

Oh and there's a gecko in my house somewhere. He's staying up high so my cat hasn't killed him yet. I have no plans of removing him. He probably eats those annoying sugar ants, and that's a good thing.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I'm going to be wary around a coyote, but it's also going to run before I get too close to it. But if you show any fear you've already lost.

Oh and there's a gecko in my house somewhere. He's staying up high so my cat hasn't killed him yet. I have no plans of removing him. He probably eats those annoying sugar ants, and that's a good thing.
See I'm fine if I see a lizard outdoors, I even move them out of a pathway for fear of someone walking on them. I just don't want them where I sleep.
See, you know these things about coyotes. You forget that I haven't been here that long, you don't see too many in the UK.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Back home. Had a geat trip. Had some rain Thursday and Friday, but nothing too irritating.

Got blasted by a crazy hail storm Friday night. Didn't last long but it was intense. Saturday morning I spotted 3 White Tail about 30 yards away from my tent. Pretty cool.

Other than those deer, not much wildlife other than the coyotes I always hear at night out there. And a barred owl last night. Heard, not seen.

Temps were comfortable. Mid to upper 30s by day, upper 20s at night. Face is a little wind-burned from being out in the cold for 4 days.

Can't wait to get back out there.

M

member 1013

Back home. Had a geat trip. Had some rain Thursday and Friday, but nothing too irritating.

Got blasted by a crazy hail storm Friday night. Didn't last long but it was intense. Saturday morning I spotted 3 White Tail about 30 yards away from my tent. Pretty cool.

Other than those deer, not much wildlife other than the coyotes I always hear at night out there. And a barred owl last night. Heard, not seen.

Temps were comfortable. Mid to upper 30s by day, upper 20s at night. Face is a little wind-burned from being out in the cold for 4 days.

Where it be doe

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

very cool recap
cold camping

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015

not the outdoorsiest of outdoor pictures, but I walk with a dog from the animal shelter. try to get him of the paved road and let him smell traces (aka piss and shit) from different animals in the fields and acres around.
We even saw some ducks (in the picture as well), later we snuck up on them and charged in. of course they got away, but it's a comraderie-thing with the dog.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

not the outdoorsiest of outdoor pictures, but I walk with a dog from the animal shelter. try to get him of the paved road and let him smell traces (aka piss and shit) from different animals in the fields and acres around.
We even saw some ducks (in the picture as well), later we snuck up on them and charged in. of course they got away, but it's a comraderie-thing with the dog.
Dude that's awesome that you do that for the dog. I hate seeing dogs locked in cages at shelters.