General TIL thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Saint Helena, one of the longest straight staircases in the world

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
In Brazil, some prison inmates can get 4 days off their sentence every time they read a book and then write a book report about it. Up to a maximum of 48 days per year.

I think that's a really fucking good idea.

??

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Sharks have survived four out of the "Big Five" mass extinction events.

Things that only showed up sometime after sharks were already here:

* Humans
* Mt Everest
* Grass
* Dinosaurs
* Trees

??

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
In Brazil, some prison inmates can get 4 days off their sentence every time they read a book and then write a book report about it. Up to a maximum of 48 days per year.

I think that's a really fucking good idea.

??
Why's that a good idea? What if they are reading books about murdering people and growing drugs?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Why's that a good idea? What if they are reading books about murdering people and growing drugs?
IIRC Brazil and some other SA countries have a history of letting hardened criminals go home early.

Can't recall which, but a child serial killer, one of the worst known, was released early and isn't accounted for. Nobody followed him.

ETA, think it was this guy.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
IIRC Brazil and some other SA countries have a history of letting hardened criminals go home early.

Can't recall which, but a child serial killer, one of the worst known, was released early and isn't accounted for. Nobody followed him.

ETA, think it was this guy.
I think your on about that chap from South America. Killed like 300 kids in the jungle then got released

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Yeah that's the cunt. I should've clicked the link first

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I figure somebody killed him.
Guys like that don't just stop because they lost interest. Someone knew who he was, or had a vengeance thing.
You might hope anyway
Yea I was actually thinking the same thing and forgot to reply.

I think he was released on purpose to get got. Maybe a victim had a relative in the justice system or government. Because there's no fucken way he gets released, I imagine 5 minutes after he got his walking papers he was bundled into a van and tortured for the rest of his days. Which is fair enough, cunt deserves worse.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
But yea. If that didn't happen and he was actually free into society there's no way a psycho like that would be able to stay under the radar for 24 years and not reoffend

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
But yea. If that didn't happen and he was actually free into society there's no way a psycho like that would be able to stay under the radar for 24 years and not reoffend
I forgot that there are disturbing examples of them that do stop and assume a normal life, Golden State Killer being an example.
BTK only got caught becaus he had begun taunting police again, so he was ready to get back into it.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I learned that I'm categorized as a Generation X'er.
Hurray

Also referred to as the latchkey generation, and I was one; mom had to work, so I came home from school basically without supervision.