General TIL thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
When Django and ze German go to watch the Mandingo fight and first meet Calvin Candie, Django goes to the bar for a drink and gets talking to some old white dude. That old white dude played Django in the original movie.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I never knew what kasha was aside from a passing joke in Seinfeld.
"Do I smell kasha?"

It can be baked but most often is boiled, either in water or milk, and therefore the term coincides with the English definition of porridge, but the word can also refer to the grain before preparation, which corresponds to the definition of groats.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I never knew what kasha was aside from a passing joke in Seinfeld.
"Do I smell kasha?"

It can be baked but most often is boiled, either in water or milk, and therefore the term coincides with the English definition of porridge, but the word can also refer to the grain before preparation, which corresponds to the definition of groats.
Kasha is delicious when made correctly.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Today I learned that the Wizard of Oz, one of the most famous films ever made, took twenty years to make a profit, and largely through television screenings.

The Wizard Of Oz, 1939 Strange to think that this glorious golden oldie was a flop, but the film lost a gigantic-for-the-time $1.14 million in 1939 and only began making money 20 years later as a kitsch Christmas TV classic.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
There are hidden wires around many US cities...

Known as an eruv (ay-roov), each wire creates an area of spiritually private space from Friday night to sundown on Saturday, the period known as Shabbat. ... Every week before the Shabbas begins, a rabbi must check the eruv enclosure — ensuring that it is complete and unbroken.The+Eruv+Wire+in+Manhattan.jpeg

View: https://youtu.be/ccfDo7yTHr8

@Lars and gangsterkathryn @gangsterkathryn probably already knew this.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
There are hidden wires around many US cities...

Known as an eruv (ay-roov), each wire creates an area of spiritually private space from Friday night to sundown on Saturday, the period known as Shabbat. ... Every week before the Shabbas begins, a rabbi must check the eruv enclosure — ensuring that it is complete and unbroken.View attachment 60196

View: https://youtu.be/ccfDo7yTHr8

@Lars and gangsterkathryn @gangsterkathryn probably already knew this.
We did, and actually had a conversation about it fairly recently.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
08a-mn-cs-and-tax-11-638.jpg1209NOrangeStreet00.jpg

Many companies are incorporated in Delaware for its business-friendly General Corporation Law. It was estimated in 2012 that $9.5 billion of potential taxes had not been levied over the past decade, due to an arrangement known as the "Delaware loophole."[2] Companies formed in Delaware are required to have an address in the state at which process may be served. Therefore, Delaware entities with no physical office in the state must have a registered agent with a Delaware address. Notable companies represented by CT at this location include Google, American Airlines, Apple Inc., General Motors, The Coca-Cola Company, Walmart, Yum! Brands, Verizon, Take-Two Interactive, and about 430 of Deutsche Bank's more than 2,000 subsidiary companies and special purpose companies. Both former President of the United States Donald Trump, and his main opponent in the 2016 United States presidential election, Hillary Clinton, have registered companies at the center