General TIL thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
carrots are native to Afghanistan, but the familiar orange one was developed in Holland in the 17th century.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
carrots are native to Afghanistan, but the familiar orange one was developed in Holland in the 17th century.
Sounds like bollocks to me. All they grow in Afghanistan are land mines and heroin

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
See, people? My man Filthy @Filthy has the gist of how the thread scenario is supposed to play out. Watch as he posts informative things and displays an understanding of the thread subject. Observe, learn, replicate.
Sounds like bollocks to me. All they grow in Afghanistan are land mines and heroin
And nuts, the only real source of genuine Afghanistani Islamic nuts.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
See, people? My man Filthy @Filthy has the gist of the thread scenario is supposed to play out. Watch as he posts informative things and displays an understanding of the thread subject. Observe, learn, replicate.

And nuts, the only real source of genuine Afghanistani Islamic nuts.
And camel spider ash trays they sell at the jingly market.

Let's not forget fake dvds. I didn't even know there was a 9th terminator movie in existence until I saw them selling it. They sell movies before they are even made.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021

Let's not forget fake dvds. I didn't even know there was a 9th terminator movie in existence until I saw them selling it. They sell movies before they are even made.
And they have excellent production value.

"I've never seen such beautiful work. You're a genius. The zoom-ins, the framing. I was enchanted."

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

time travel originated in Afghanistan. The real mystery is why they choose to live in 800 BCE

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
When King Salman dies, his son (MBS) will be the first King of Saudi Arabia who is not a son of the first King (King Abdulaziz) who took power in 1902.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just remembered Afghani rugs, they're cool

Some great indica was first cultivated there
They wove rugs with AK 47 patterns.it was interesting. I also saw one someone had made of the two towers blowing up.

They are supposed to be the best rugs tbh but I don't know fuck all about rugs.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
They wove rugs with AK 47 patterns.it was interesting. I also saw one someone had made of the two towers blowing up.

They are supposed to be the best rugs tbh but I don't know fuck all about rugs.
I recall seeing a documentary after 9/11 that included interviews with Afghanis. One said "You must understand how many babies were born with the name Usama last year."

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
TIL in the beloved The Force Awakens, the stormtrooper who lets Rey go when she mind tricks him is Daniel Craig.
I watched James bond this morning, I was thinking about this as I already knew. Pretty cool Easter egg. James bond is a storm trooper

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Who could have known.

Craig
Connery
Maybe we'll get to see how Elba stacks up
I don't think he will get it. They might spin it so he's in it as a villain or something. Or maybe he is 007 and gets got half way thru the first movie.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I don't think he will get it. They might spin it so he's in it as a villain or something. Or maybe he is 007 and gets got half way thru the first movie.
No way. Elba is popular and it would be a big fuck you to fans.

I like the idea of Black Bond, it'll give the character new angles and make the writing fun.

Of course, the fact of his blackness may just be incidental to his casting and no attention will be drawn to it.

Either works for me.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
No way. Elba is popular and it would be a big fuck you to fans.

I like the idea of Black Bond, it'll give the character new angles and make the writing fun.

Of course, the fact of his blackness may just be incidental to his casting and no attention will be drawn to it.

Either works for me.
I read all my news on the daily mail, the comments section there are not big on Idris being bond. Imo, I don't know if you watched the new one, it should have been Idris Elba not that black chick. That would have been awesome given the years of speculation etc.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I read all my news on the daily mail, the comments section there are not big on Idris being bond. Imo, I don't know if you watched the new one, it should have been Idris Elba not that black chick. That would have been awesome given the years of speculation etc.
The new one, black chick?

Only woman of color I can think of is smoking hot Moneypenny.