General TMMAC Carpentry/DIY Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Lowe's doesn't carry Makita products. It took all my restraint not to throw my shit in the air and storm out when an employee told me that
Be careful buying tools at the big box stores.

Sometimes they'll have tools that aren't quite as good as what you can buy from a legit tool store. Whether it's cheaper internal mechanisms, shorter cords or maybe a lower amp battery - be sure to do your homework.

Not a power tool - but I know for a fact that they use plastic mechanisms inside their lockset hardware instead of brass. They beat the local hardware stores 2 ways: They buy in bulk and, occasionally, they'll have the manufacturer use cheaper parts.

If they are doing it for locksets, I can only assume they're doing it for other shit as well.

Hypocritical disclaimer: I've bought plenty of tools at Home Depot/Lowes.

M

member 3289

Sometimes they'll have tools that aren't quite as good as what you can buy from a legit tool store. Whether it's cheaper internal mechanisms, shorter cords or maybe a lower amp battery - be sure to do your homework.

Not a power tool - but I know for a fact that they use plastic mechanisms inside their lockset hardware instead of brass. They beat the local hardware stores 2 ways: They buy in bulk and, occasionally, they'll have the manufacturer use cheaper parts.

If they are doing it for locksets, I can only assume they're doing it for other shit as well.

I like to buy any cordless drill add-ons from the same manufacturer as my drill for obvious reasons (better fit, more reliable, manufactured to work together).

Lowe's employee: You need help finding something?

Me: Yeah I'm looking for a 3/32 Makita drill b-----

Lowe's employee, interrupting me: We don't carry Makita but I can show you some DeWalt bits of that size.

Me:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 3289

Also great suggestion @The Koala Bear Jew in telling me to go to Lowe's to get a custom-cut piece of mirrored glass. The mirrors they had were too large/too expensive and the cutting process too complicated.

If a professional carpenter wants to give me another tip I'm all ears. I need a slab of mirrored glass that is 36" long and 4" wide. My bathroom mirror is only 6' tall and, being 6'4", I have to duck to brush my teeth or part my hair.

I want to mount the narrow slab directly above the existing bathroom sink mirror in a way that I can easily remove it in a year when I move out.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

My tools/fastener supplier says that's a total myth. Compare model# with he manufacturers model#

Big box stores simply have so much buying power they can operate on smaller margins. Returning shit there is simple as well

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Also great suggestion @The Koala Bear Jew in telling me to go to Lowe's to get a custom-cut piece of mirrored glass. The mirrors they had were too large/too expensive and the cutting process too complicated.

If a professional carpenter wants to give me another tip I'm all ears. I need a slab of mirrored glass that is 36" long and 4" wide. My bathroom mirror is only 6' tall and, being 6'4", I have to duck to brush my teeth or part my hair.

I want to mount the narrow slab directly above the existing bathroom sink mirror in a way that I can easily remove it in a year when I move out.
$10 glass cutter and 5 minutes of your time and you can cut a piece of glass to any size you want.

M

member 1013

Can you post a link of an example of a $10 glass cutter?
Holy fuck you are useless bud

This thread was started to troll me but you’re just trolling yourself at this point

Sad

I also told you a glass supplier would have the best deals but you are most likely incapable of finding one of those too without someone else googling for you

Gosh dangit

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
My tools/fastener supplier says that's a total myth. Compare model# with he manufacturers model#

Big box stores simply have so much buying power they can operate on smaller margins. Returning shit there is simple as well
Sometimes the model number is different. I've tried to purchase model numbers available at Home Depot and couldn't find them online. They were specific to HD. I wasn't saying "never do it" - as I've done it countless times simply for the convenience factor.

And I'm 100% positive they do it for lock hardware. I've torn their locks apart. And I also got a Schlage rep to admit to it at a home show.

So logically speaking - if they do it for a $20 lock, why wouldn't they use the same tactic on a $300 miter saw?

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Sometimes the model number is different. I've tried to purchase model numbers available at Home Depot and couldn't find them online. They were specific to HD. I wasn't saying "never do it" - as I've done it countless times simply for the convenience factor.

And I'm 100% positive they do it for lock hardware. I've torn their locks apart. And I also got a Schlage rep to admit to it at a home show.
That's why I say cross reference product# with manufacturer. For example dealt might have a DW707 and a DW717 miter saw difference being black hardware vs stainless steel hardware or on may have laser site installed whereas other might just have the housing for it.
I'm just going off of what I've been told. I go through a lot of tools and havent noticed a difference. Then again my employees beat the shit out of my tools so I'd be a terrible example.

M

member 3289

Holy fuck you are useless bud

This thread was started to troll me but you’re just trolling yourself at this point

Sad

I also told you a glass supplier would have the best deals but you are most likely incapable of finding one of those too without someone else googling for you

Gosh dangit
Can you Google and post the contact details of a glass supplier in northern Broward County?

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
That's why I say cross reference product# with manufacturer. For example dealt might have a DW707 and a DW717 miter saw difference being black hardware vs stainless steel hardware or on may have laser site installed whereas other might just have the housing for it.
I'm just going off of what I've been told. I go through a lot of tools and havent noticed a difference. Then again my employees beat the shit out of my tools so I'd be a terrible example.
This.

M

member 1013

What’s your favourite worm drive saw buster

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
We're saying the same thing.
From 10 feet away they look identical, but HD/Lowes almost always stock the cheaper versions than an actual dealer does. They aren't junk. They're just different. It's not apples to apples. Simple shit like plastic bushings vs steel bushings on the guards. Dumb shit like that.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What’s your favourite worm drive saw buster
I honestly hate worm drive saws. They are more of an American and eastern Canada saw. I find the weight distribution is off and everything is on the wrong side like its left handed or something. Guys swear by them though.

M

member 3289

I honestly hate worm drive saws. They are more of an American and eastern Canada saw. I find the weight distribution is off and everything is on the wrong side like its left handed or something. Guys swear by them though.
Fuckin Ontarians amirite?

M

member 1013

A lot of guys in “eastern” Canada don’t like them either, and call them a “west coast” or “California” saw. I personally call them “boat anchors.” I have both the Bosch sidewinder and the bosh worm drive right now.

They definitely have way more power than a sidewinder but if you are more used to one it’s harder to control the other. Using a worm drive is more like punching through the lumber than a sidewinder. If you make a guy who prefers one use the other they will find the sidewinder hurts their wrist more and the worm drive is harder on the elbow and upper forearm.

I actually like the “left handed” line of sight and have a left facing sidewinder. I know it’s more dangerous but I’m hard as fuck. That’s why they call me the Koala Bear Jew.