Trilogy fight with Conor McGregor? Nate Diaz is going to need an 8-figure payday

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Nate won't get 20 mill to fight. Conor won't even get a reported 20 mill to fight in the UFC. I hope Nate was wise with his 2 mill last time because if he wants much more than that the UFC is gonna leave him behind and spend money marketing for a less desirable fight.

Nate and his people can say they want all the money in the world, but they should be prepared to meet somewhere south of 5 mill to even have a shot at the rubber match.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Lol no way does he deserve 8figures, let him headline a PPV without Mcgregor and see how good the numbers are.
That's like saying let McG headline with anyone besides Diaz, the numbers won't be as high. The trilogy is both guys biggest fight ATM so pay them both.

The extremes in us fans are crazy. Infinite threads on "pay the fighters more!" then we get posts saying "fuck that, he's not worth it".

I get that we all support them to get paid more, that's a good thing. But why would we as fans ever want to try and out a cap on how much Diaz or whoever else should make? IDGAF if they both make 8 figures or more, why would you not want this? You can't be concerned with WME bottom line are you? I'm not sure how much more cost they could pass down to the consumers at this point.

Stillmatic

Posting Machine
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I would rather see both guys fight someone they haven't before. I'm a bit sick of these big money fights.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
I would rather see both guys fight someone they haven't before. I'm a bit sick of these big money fights.
Both fights were fire!

There were many trilogy fights in Pride that certainly helped promote the organization to new levels because who doesn't love a tie breaker? Helped gain more casual viewers who would tune in to see the big finale

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Both fights were fire!

There were many trilogy fights in Pride that certainly helped promote the organization to new levels because who doesn't love a tie breaker? Helped gain more casual viewers who would tune in to see the big finale
Ya I'm a fan a good trilogies with a equally good back story. Both fights delivered with lots of ooooh's and ahhhhhs.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
He's literally fighting for the title next (unless he prices himself out), that's what this thread's about.
Undeservedly... what I'm saying is while mcgregor was out fighting other people Diaz was waiting for mcgregor. He should've fought while he waited but he doesn't fight anymore unless it's for mcgregor money.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That's like saying let McG headline with anyone besides Diaz, the numbers won't be as high. The trilogy is both guys biggest fight ATM so pay them both.

The extremes in us fans are crazy. Infinite threads on "pay the fighters more!" then we get posts saying "fuck that, he's not worth it".

I get that we all support them to get paid more, that's a good thing. But why would we as fans ever want to try and out a cap on how much Diaz or whoever else should make? IDGAF if they both make 8 figures or more, why would you not want this? You can't be concerned with WME bottom line are you? I'm not sure how much more cost they could pass down to the consumers at this point.
Agreed. I hope they both get paid so much they need dump trucks to haul the money away.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Undeservedly... what I'm saying is while mcgregor was out fighting other people Diaz was waiting for mcgregor. He should've fought while he waited but he doesn't fight anymore unless it's for mcgregor money.
He's ranked above Kevin Lee who's fighting for an interim belt in his next fight. Everything else is just your subjective opinion.

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Nate won't get 20 mill to fight. Conor won't even get a reported 20 mill to fight in the UFC. I hope Nate was wise with his 2 mill last time because if he wants much more than that the UFC is gonna leave him behind and spend money marketing for a less desirable fight.

Nate and his people can say they want all the money in the world, but they should be prepared to meet somewhere south of 5 mill to even have a shot at the rubber match.
Nate negotiated ppv points for the second fight, so the disclosed pay was less than he made off of ppv. I would expect him to do the same here. The ufc has a few options, but all revolve around conor and his decision making. He wants nate. Does he want khabib, tony, or kevin? He can walk at this point happy and set for life. For now I think the ufc needs to make him happy, and two things that will do that are a substantial pay increase, and nate for his next fight. Nate is holding a lot of cards here, and he is probably one of the bigger draws now after beating conor. He can get $10m, after ppv points, for this fight, imo, and maybe a bit more.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
He's ranked about Kevin Lee who's fighting for an interim belt in his next fight. Everything else is just your subjective opinion.
According to UFC rankings, #2 (khabib is #1) and #7 guy fighting for interim belt and #6 guy next in line for real title.

Im all for the fight, but Nate annoys me by sitting around waiting for mcgregor when he could've fought and moved up in the rankings.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
Nate negotiated ppv points for the second fight, so the disclosed pay was less than he made off of ppv. I would expect him to do the same here. The ufc has a few options, but all revolve around conor and his decision making. He wants nate. Does he want khabib, tony, or kevin? He can walk at this point happy and set for life. For now I think the ufc needs to make him happy, and two things that will do that are a substantial pay increase, and nate for his next fight. Nate is holding a lot of cards here, and he is probably one of the bigger draws now after beating conor. He can get $10m, after ppv points, for this fight, imo, and maybe a bit more.
I think he got like 13million with ppv points for the rematch so yeah, he can definitely make more . But all he deserves are the ppv points for being the other guy in the octagon. Idk if he is deserving of a contract with 7 figure show money unless he can draw on his own

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I think he got like 13million with ppv points for the rematch so yeah, he can definitely make more . But all he deserves are the ppv points for being the other guy in the octagon. Idk if he is deserving of a contract with 7 figure show money unless he can draw on his own
I may not be reading his trainer's commentsin context. Is he asking for his purse to be $20-30m, then points on top of that?

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
According to UFC rankings, #2 (khabib is #1) and #7 guy fighting for interim belt and #6 guy next in line for real title.

Im all for the fight, but Nate annoys me by sitting around waiting for mcgregor when he could've fought and moved up in the rankings.
Like I wrote previously, that's your subjective opinion. Although, to be fair, we're talking about the UFC rankings, which have never meant as much to matchmakers as the bottom line.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

He was on a bullshit contract at $20k and $20k, prior to the conor fight. Is he still on this contract? Is he being paid what he's worth? These all factor in. Fans can want him to fight all they want, but this is prize fighting, not anything else.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
Like I wrote previously, that's your subjective opinion. Although, to be fair, we're talking about the UFC rankings, which have never meant as much to matchmakers as the bottom line.
its not a "subjective opinion," its a fact based on rankings and who he previously fought.... you can stop saying its my subjective opinion now.

p.s. he lost 4 of his last 7

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
its not a "subjective opinion," its a fact based on rankings and who he previously fought.... you can stop saying its my subjective opinion now.

p.s. he lost 4 of his last 7
It's your opinion that he doesn't deserve or hasn't earned a title shot. That's not an objective opinion as you demonstrated with your post script, "p.s. he lost 4 of his last 7".

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
What's going to happen: Diaz won't get the Conor fight. According to PPV numbers - which I rarely believe are true, but let's assume they are - the Conor fight vs Diaz made about 100,000 - 200,000 more than other Conor fights. So basically most fop fights sell no matter the opponent. Thus, Dana won't find enough advantage in paying Diaz an enormous amount of money + having the prospect of dealing with a Nate Diaz champion + having his cash cow in another 5 round war, if Diaz doesn't slap him into concussion earlier than that.

So I expect Dana to offer McGregor something completely different. Either Khabib - in which case bye bye fop for good - or one of the 145 guys but for the 155 belt. Don't be surprised if you see an Aldo rematch or a Holloway fight. Unless they give him some more time off due to the concussion from the Mayweather fight and he gets to fight the interim holder in February.

What should have happened if Diaz fought Conor: They should both get a somewhat equal amount of guaranteed money, because according to the results they're 1-1. McGregor should get some more due to his champion status. McGregor should get a much higher percentage of ppv since he is the most popular of the two. Give a guaranteed amount of money based on fighting merit, and a ppv cut based on popularity. That would be a fair deal for both of them.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
It's your opinion that he doesn't deserve or hasn't earned a title shot. That's not an objective opinion as you demonstrated with your post script, "p.s. he lost 4 of his last 7".
Yeah dude, cause he doesn't deserve it. Lmao you are blind.

He was only initially mcgregors opponent because whatever his name is dropped out of the fight. He was a late fill in. two fights later with mcgregor and he refuses to fight anyone except mcgregor. (This next part right here is literally fact) Based on rankings/past fights, Diaz does not deserve to be in a title fight, compared to others in the division. Let's give gaethje a title fight next because he beat Johnson (the last opponent Diaz beat at 155) as well.

It's only because it's a "money fight" that it's happening. Not because Diaz deserves a title shot. I don't know how you can't see that.

Tell me why he deserves the title shot more than others? I'll wait. Is it because he holds a win over the champion at 170lbs? Big deal. The loss was avenged. Other champions have losses and the person they lost to doesn't deserve to skip the line for a rematch, they work their way up and earn a rematch. They dont say "I'm not fighting again until it's against _____" and do fuckall while they wait

Last edited:

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Defend the belt or give it up. If he gives up the belt, I have no issue with him class jumping for superfights as much as he wants. If WME had a fucking spine, they would have intervened with this clown show by now. How much do you have to suck to make Zuffa look good?

Personally, I don't think he fights again.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015

He was only initially mcgregors opponent because whatever his name is dropped out of the fight. He wasIt's only because it's a "money fight" that it's happening. Not because Diaz deserves a title shot. I don't know how you can't see that.

Tell me why he deserves the title shot more than others? I'll wait. Is it because he holds a win over the champion at 170lbs? Big deal. The loss was avenged. Other champions have losses and the person they lost to doesn't deserve to skip the line for a rematch, they work their way up and earn a rematch. They dont say "I'm not fighting again until it's against _____" and do fuckall while they wait

He was only initially mcgregors opponent because whatever his name is dropped out of the fight. He was a late fill in. two fights later with mcgregor and he refuses to fight anyone except mcgregor. (This next part right here is literally fact) Based on rankings/past fights, Diaz does not deserve to be in a title fight, compared to others in the division. Let's give gaethje a title fight next because he beat Johnson (the last opponent Diaz beat at 155) as well.

It's only because it's a "money fight" that it's happening. Not because Diaz deserves a title shot. I don't know how you can't see that.

Conor got a title shot at lightweight by winning zero fights at 155 in the UFC (i.e. unranked), and without ever defending his featherweight belt. Break that down for us genius, if it's all about rankings and earning title shots.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I want to see Diaz III, but there are plenty of other compelling fights for Conor right now as well. Nate should be careful not to get too crazy with these demands.
20 million isn't crazy since he beat his ass handiedly the 1st time and the 2nd was controversial decision many think was wrong. Conor must also think that since it's him who is chasing Diaz

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Conor got a title shot at lightweight by winning zero fights at 155 in the UFC (i.e. unranked), and without ever defending his featherweight belt. Break that down for us genius, if it's all about rankings and earning title shots.
To be honest, Conor has never once defended a title in his life, some say in elementary he competed in a spelling bee and intinally misspelled The work Fuck as fook so he wouldn't have to defend the spelling bee title.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
20 million isn't crazy since he beat his ass handiedly the 1st time and the 2nd was controversial decision many think was wrong. Conor must also think that since it's him who is chasing Diaz
I'd love to see Nate get paid. I just don't want to see the fight not happen because he overplayed his cards with the UFC. Hard for me to imagine them paying him anymore than $2-3 MM base, plus maybe some PPV ups.