Lifestyle W hats the weirdest food you ate?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I've eaten insects a few times in Thailand. Mutton head curry and Bullfrog porridge in Malaysia. Pig trotters and intestines in Singapore and my dad makes braised Pig's Ear quite regularly.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I've eaten insects a few times in Thailand. Mutton head curry and Bullfrog porridge in Malaysia. Pig trotters and intestines in Singapore and my dad makes braised Pig's Ear quite regularly.
I have pig’s trotters in my freezer to make a yummy stock for a ramen ton kotsu

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Lion burgers. Theres nothing to tell you how to prepare them (what temp, how long...). So not only did it taste terrible I had them looming like hockey pucks when finished.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Lion burgers. Theres nothing to tell you how to prepare them (what temp, how long...). So not only did it taste terrible I had them looming like hockey pucks when finished.
mountain lion?

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I dunno if anyone can beat me.

I’ve had :
Crocodile
Kangaroo
Ox : heart liver
Kidneys (pig or ox I never knew)
Pig brain
Deep fried pork rind
Steamed Silkworm
Dog
Fresh live octopus/squid many times
Intestines (pig I think)
Bush rat
And the best....(drum roll)
The flying fox (fruit bat)

View: https://youtu.be/cM7exy_oefI

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
grew up on a pig farm, love deep-fried pig nuts. Nut-cutting was my favorite season.
We had a collie named Missy that would sit at the fence and wait for a testicle to be hurled her way. Then she'd jump up and snatch it out of the air like Air Bud.
This might be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Though not really weird, a sushi restaurant used to have sawagani that we'd order. It wasn't a mnu item and only could be ordered by special request. Sawagani is a small fresh water crab. A bunch of them would be served on a plate and you'd eat them with the shell still on. You'd get some crazy looks from people. Every once in a while I'd offer a random inquisitive person one to try. Never had anyone try one and not love it. Then some people almost died after eating them and they are no longer being offered. Bummer. Had those people just died instead of notifying the restaurant, I'd still be able to order them.

Amaebi is another item that is slightly weird, in that it is fresh and raw. They take a live shrimp, cut it up, and serve it to you with the head on the side. The shrimp is still alive and moving, amd it watches you eat it. After you are done, they remove the plate, take the head back to the kitchen a d deep fry it. It tastes kind of like a juicy potato chip, and is mush better tasting, imo, than the actual raw shrimp body.

Sea urchin is also served live. Right after they clean and remove the sacks (edible part), they place it on a plate, then squeeze lemon juice over the shell. The lemon juice makes it continue to move. Pretty cool to see the shell moving while you eat the sacks.

Tripe is pretty disgusting if you think about what it is, however, menudo is one of the best soups around and tripe is the primary ingredient.

I ate a bumble bee when I was a kid. I knew they were filled with honey, so I caught one and ate it. Not on did I get stung, but I also found out the hard way that they do not taste like honey. You've been warned.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Though not really weird, a sushi restaurant used to have sawagani that we'd order. It wasn't a mnu item and only could be ordered by special request. Sawagani is a small fresh water crab. A bunch of them would be served on a plate and you'd eat them with the shell still on. You'd get some crazy looks from people. Every once in a while I'd offer a random inquisitive person one to try. Never had anyone try one and not love it. Then some people almost died after eating them and they are no longer being offered. Bummer. Had those people just died instead of notifying the restaurant, I'd still be able to order them.

Amaebi is another item that is slightly weird, in that it is fresh and raw. They take a live shrimp, cut it up, and serve it to you with the head on the side. The shrimp is still alive and moving, amd it watches you eat it. After you are done, they remove the plate, take the head back to the kitchen a d deep fry it. It tastes kind of like a juicy potato chip, and is mush better tasting, imo, than the actual raw shrimp body.

Sea urchin is also served live. Right after they clean and remove the sacks (edible part), they place it on a plate, then squeeze lemon juice over the shell. The lemon juice makes it continue to move. Pretty cool to see the shell moving while you eat the sacks.

Tripe is pretty disgusting if you think about what it is, however, menudo is one of the best soups around and tripe is the primary ingredient.

I ate a bumble bee when I was a kid. I knew they were filled with honey, so I caught one and ate it. Not on did I get stung, but I also found out the hard way that they do not taste like honey. You've been warned.
Why are YOU eating stuff that's still alive too?! I know you! You're not that person!

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I’ve bought live lobsters before but I’ve put them in the freezer so they go to sleep before my husband pops them in boiling water.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
How does something alive taste different to something that’s dead?
Most sushi is dead dead, meaning it was killed and frozen. Some however is killed right when you order it. I can't say what amaebi would taste like if it were days old, since that is not how it's served. I can say that sea urchin is sweeter when it was just killed as opposed to packaged in trays (sushi places vary on their sources for urchin, but here is san diego, most just buy the entire urchin since they are abundant in our waters. They also can charge you the asshole tax for the presentation.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Most sushi is dead dead, meaning it was killed and frozen. Some however is killed right when you order it. I can't say what amaebi would taste like if it were days old, since that is not how it's served. I can say that sea urchin is sweeter when it was just killed as opposed to packaged in trays (sushi places vary on their sources for urchin, but here is san diego, most just buy the entire urchin since they are abundant in our waters. They also can charge you the asshole tax for the presentation.
You're not answering my question. What is the difference between eating something that's still alive and looking at you scared for its life as you bite down on it compared to something that, for instance died an hour before it landed on your plate? Taste wise, I mean.