Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Life is a Highway – Tom Cochrane

Thursday song of the day: Today’s song was inspired by a depressing trip to West Africa.

Throughout the 1980s, Tom Cochrane was the singer and guitarist for the moderately successful band Red Rider. They never had a Top 40 hit in the United States, but they did well in their native Canada. After Red Rider broke up, Cochrane became involved with World Vision famine relief efforts, and as part of that he went on a trip to West Africa to observe the crisis.

The trip left him depressed about the famine and feeling the need to cheer himself up he dusted off an old song that had never made it onto a Red Rider record. Originally the song was called Love is a Highway, but Cochrane changed it to Life is a Highway and made it a more hopeful song about how the good outweighs the bad in life. In 1991 he included the song on his second solo album, Mad Mad World. It went to #1 in Canada and was also a big hit in the United States, rising to #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Twenty-five years after Life is a Highway hit, Cochrane released the earlier demo of Love is a Highway on a remastered release of Mad Mad World. The two songs share the same basic framework, but the demo is a much less upbeat song.

Love is a Highway
demo

Tomorrow: I see our time has gotten stale
Finally got to see Tom at a live show 3 years ago. One of the best performances I've ever seen. Absolutely crushed it.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Life is a Highway – Tom Cochrane

Thursday song of the day: Today’s song was inspired by a depressing trip to West Africa.

Throughout the 1980s, Tom Cochrane was the singer and guitarist for the moderately successful band Red Rider. They never had a Top 40 hit in the United States, but they did well in their native Canada. After Red Rider broke up, Cochrane became involved with World Vision famine relief efforts, and as part of that he went on a trip to West Africa to observe the crisis.

The trip left him depressed about the famine and feeling the need to cheer himself up he dusted off an old song that had never made it onto a Red Rider record. Originally the song was called Love is a Highway, but Cochrane changed it to Life is a Highway and made it a more hopeful song about how the good outweighs the bad in life. In 1991 he included the song on his second solo album, Mad Mad World. It went to #1 in Canada and was also a big hit in the United States, rising to #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Twenty-five years after Life is a Highway hit, Cochrane released the earlier demo of Love is a Highway on a remastered release of Mad Mad World. The two songs share the same basic framework, but the demo is a much less upbeat song.

Love is a Highway
demo

Tomorrow: I see our time has gotten stale
Dug up a couple pictures from the show. The one guy loved his lap steel

Revenant

Cheesesteak Addict
Jan 25, 2020
Bob Weir is also doing some free video streams during the quarantine. Replaying recent shows from his tour with Wolf Bros.

Weir Wednesday’s
Bob Weir Announces ‘Weir Wednesdays’ Free Livestream Replay Series

Revenant @Revenant
Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude, Hauler @Hauler
I saw that Bob was doing that but haven't tuned in yet.
The GD are starting a weekly Friday series tonight, Shakedown Streams begins at 7pm central with the July 4, 1989 show at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y. on their YouTube channel.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Inside Out – Eve 6

Friday song of the day: Today’s song was written by a couple of teenagers.

Eve 6 got a late start in the post-grunge scene of the 1990s because they were still teenagers when the genre began its decline. The band was formed in 1995 when the members were still in high school and was signed to a record deal not long afterward. They recorded an EP under the band name Eleventeen, then changed the band’s name to Eve 6. They released their self-titled debut album in 1998. Although the band members were out of their teens when the Eve 6 album was released, the songs on the album were written much earlier.

Band frontman Max Collins said in an interview twenty years later, “We were 16 and 17 years old when we wrote [Eve 6], and it sounds like it.” While the single Inside Out is dripping in teenage angst, it was a hit for the band. Collins says ““For that whole record, I was pretty much writing it at this one girl who cheated on me and broke my heart. My muse would have been that relationship and that girl, and not really having the emotional equipment to know how to deal with it.” Despite Inside Out being juvenile in its emotions and excessively wordy (or as Collins describes “…like a kid trying not to sound like a kid.”), it did strike a chord with listeners and sold very well. Inside Out made it to #1 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart and #28 on the overall Billboard Hot 100.

Eve 6 recorded two more albums and had a #30 hit with Here’s to the Night in 2000, then broke up in 2004. They have since reunited and are again recording and performing.

Tomorrow: Some silicone sister with a manager mister

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
They are underrated... I loved them growing up, own all their albums, and like 7 years ago, I was lucky enough to do production for them on a show they did for a private event here in Orlando. I got a chance to speak with Shock-G a lot, that guy is a genius musician, plays a ton of instruments (I love his piano solo in the extended version of DoWutChuLike), and he produced a ton of great rappers/Hip Hop artists. I think that he is a Berklee music grad or something like that.
Shock-g aka Greg had an awesome album he released which had shit promotion. It was called "who got the gravy" and anytime I played it for people they went nuts. No one had any idea it existed, and still no one has heard these tracks (in mass).

My favorite track

And a few of my other favorites

My friend's (no longer) band opened for Digital underground and my buddy (at the time, no longer want anything to do with him, but thats a different story for a different day) was an exceptional and genius pianist/keyboardist. He said he was blown away at the genius of shock-g on the keyboards, and that really gave me 10x the respect for the guy, who I already had tons of respect for.

I have a really funny story about my interaction with the group. I was at Belly Up Tavern attending a show. The venue is a big floor in front of the elevated stage, then seats are to the back and to the side. Anyways, the show is going starts and I bump my way up to the front fairly easily (not known as a hip hop venue, so no struggle). I'm dancing, feeling the vibe, and mouthing pretty much all lyrics in the process. Shock-G notices me and and gives me a few high fives, and I think I was the only dude he gave a high five to (he was high fiving girls, but not guys, so maybe he wanted to bang me?). Anyways, he pops a bottle of some cheap champagne and starts drinking it. He pours a cup and hands it to me. In between songs I keep screaming out song requests from pretty much unknown albums, like the album above "who got the gravy." He ignores my requests but keeps pointing at me like "I heard you." I get another cup of champagne before the first one is down, mind you I had a cocktail which I hadn't finished either, so I'm juggling cups. Money B is close to me in between songs and I scream at him, "do freaky note!" which is another song off an album (Money B's solo album from the mid 90's) no one knows about. Money B just about shitted himself in glee. The rest of the set I was getting the VIP treatment. Really fun night.

The Money B song I referenced

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Blinded by the Light – Manfred Mann’s Earth Band

Saturday song of the day: No, today’s song has nothing to do with a douche.

Early in his career, Bruce Springsteen was obviously Dylanesque in his writing. This is particularly evident in Blinded by the Light, from his 1972 debut album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. He admitted to making liberal use of a rhyming dictionary when writing this song, and it shows. Blinded by the Light was the first single from the album, and it did not sell very well.

A few years later, however, the Born to Run album had established Springsteen as a big star. Because of this, his back catalogue received more attention, and Manfred Mann decided to record a cover version of Blinded by the Light. Mann had had a #1 hit in 1964 with Do Wah Diddy Diddy, and since 1971 was performing with Manfred Mann’s Earth Band. The band recorded Blinded by the Light for their 1976 album The Roaring Silence.

The Manfred Mann cover version was quite different from the Springsteen original. The music was much more polished and lusher, while several of the lyrics were changed. For instance, Springsteen had used the line “cut loose like a Deuce” while Mann changed it to “revved up like a Deuce.” The “Deuce” referred to a 1932 Ford, a favorite of hot rodders – immortalized much earlier by the Beach Boys song Little Deuce Coupe. When the Manfred Mann cover became popular, however, many listeners misheard the line as “wrapped up like a douche.” Many people still don’t know the correct line is referring to a car.

The Manfred Mann’s Earth Band cover became a huge hit, reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Oddly, while Springsteen is now a rock icon and a much bigger figure in music history than Manfred Mann, the cover version of Blinded by the Light is the only song written by Bruce Springsteen to reach #1. His next highest charting single is his own 1984 recording of Dancing in the Dark, which topped out at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, 1976

Bruce Springsteen, 1972

Tomorrow: What you tryin’ to hand me?