General What gun regulations do you support?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
I jumped ahead and watched a little bit of it. Little Marco was holding his own in there and making some valid points in front of a hostile crowd.
Dude keep watching it gets worse. Dana gets lynched basically. She needed security to and from where she was sitting. Fuck CNN

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Are there privacy laws currently in place that stop the government from being able to dox someone now?
Although - holy shit at the manpower that would be required to chase down every idiot on the internet.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Are there privacy laws currently in place that stop the government from being able to dox someone now?
Not that I know of. But that's mostly me just talking out loud.
If the other end of an investigation is the ability to do something, investigations will naturally follow through.
If I'm law enforcement and I have to wait for a guy about to pull the trigger, I'm not spending a lot of time figuring out if he's a nut bag.
If identifying a nut bag then pauses his weapons purchases, such effort now pays dividends. It changes the math on time and effort, of which cops have a limited amount to expend.

Adam Lanza was a credible threat with data to back that. Cops and locals knew it. The law did not empower police to do anything that was efficient. Should have had the ability to bar his gun access. The effort would then have been on the Lanza's to get it back...which would have failed.

M

member 3289

Except that's not how it works in theory or practice.

Hindsight is 20/20. Doesn't mean you can separate the wheat from the chaff when sifting through the raw data.
Do you ever admit to being wrong?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Not that I know of. But that's mostly me just talking out loud.
If the other end of an investigation is the ability to do something, investigations will naturally follow through.
If I'm law enforcement and I have to wait for a guy about to pull the trigger, I'm not spending a lot of time figuring out if he's a nut bag.
If identifying a nut bag then pauses his weapons purchases, such effort now pays dividends. It changes the math on time and effort, of which cops have a limited amount to expend.

Adam Lanza was a credible threat with data to back that. Cops and locals knew it. The law did not empower police to do anything that was efficient. Should have had the ability to bar his gun access. The effort would then have been on the Lanza's to get it back...which would have failed.
Christ. I spelled "there" wrong.
And now you've quoted me and my mistake is forever known.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It's a temporary violation of rights, but I'm OK with it.
The kids he killed had the right to live a full life.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It's a temporary violation of rights, but I'm OK with it.
The kids he killed had the right to live a full life.
Sure. But we do it with psych patients themselves so I'm not just imagining laws. I'm just brainstorming on reapplying something that already exists.

You come tell me you are going to kill yourself, I do my best to get you help. I talk through it to make a professional assessment of your plan to do it. I then make the best guess I can on treatment.
This sometimes means meds, counseling, contracting for safety. See you in a few days.
Sometimes this means straight to the ER because I need a psychiatry eval and am worried you might leave my office and go kill yourself right now.
Sometimes that results in an inpatient or outpatient treatment plan. In the former, I have to go through a couple of processes regarding forced detention.That process is a temporary one that requires no judge. I can get a cop and force it. You are now detained without anything more than a doc and a cop. The clock is ticking at which time I must present evidence to a judge to turn that into a longer different type of order. If I don't, you're free to go. If the judge turns it down, you're free to go. Else, you are involuntarily placed into inpatient psych facility.

BTW, at no point do I have the ability to have the cops remove the guns from your house. I can only recommend it and, if family is around beg and plead the same with them to do it.

You come tell me you have urges to murder others, something similar happens. I'm still not sure that alone gets the guns restrained (cops and psych take over and I'm out of the picture in such a scenario).

Some sort of mechanism there should apply to those already demonstrating wishes for violence. Don't want your guns taken? Just don't go around killing animals, claiming you want to be a school shooter, making a rape list and hit list, and posting it all online.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Sure. But we do it with psych patients themselves so I'm not just imagining laws. I'm just brainstorming on reapplying something that already exists.

You come tell me you are going to kill yourself, I do my best to get you help. I talk through it to make a professional assessment of your plan to do it. I then make the best guess I can on treatment.
This sometimes means meds, counseling, contracting for safety. See you in a few days.
Sometimes this means straight to the ER because I need a psychiatry eval and am worried you might leave my office and go kill yourself right now.
Sometimes that results in an inpatient or outpatient treatment plan. In the former, I have to go through a couple of processes regarding forced detention.That process is a temporary one that requires no judge. I can get a cop and force it. You are now detained without anything more than a doc and a cop. The clock is ticking at which time I must present evidence to a judge to turn that into a longer different type of order. If I don't, you're free to go. If the judge turns it down, you're free to go. Else, you are involuntarily placed into inpatient psych facility.

BTW, at no point do I have the ability to have the cops remove the guns from your house. I can only recommend it and, if family is around beg and plead the same with them to do it.

You come tell me you have urges to murder others, something similar happens. I'm still not sure that alone gets the guns restrained (cops and psych take over and I'm out of the picture in such a scenario).

Some sort of mechanism there should apply to those already demonstrating wishes for violence. Don't want your guns taken? Just don't go around killing animals, claiming you want to be a school shooter, making a rape list and hit list, and posting it all online.
You got my vote.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
LoL at using the military entrance screening as your example...

it's not anti-armor, it's anti-material. My marksmanship instructor used his to disable everything from mobile rocket launchers to fuel tankers in the first Gulf War...when the Sheriff's office has a Bearcat, the citizens should have .50 cals.
military is an organization that trains their members to handle firearms in a most professional matter (unless you're an individual competition shooter) so copying their standards I thought was a good idea. When we had crazies (suicidal or super angry at higher ups) in the war zone, first thing we do is take away their weapons so they don't kill themselves or others for emotional reasons.

as an infantryman, even if we fire our rifles more than any civilians out there, we still qualify marksmanship annually.

anti-material is probably the most accurate term but the way today's military have been using it as mostly anti-personnel, especially from a sniper rifle because it adds distance, longer effective range, more kinetic energy at point of impact.

i don't agree with what you're saying about the sheriff's owning a 50 cal rifle and if that were the case, so should civilians because civilians and sheriffs don't do the same job or have the same responsibility. But, I can add on to my list as one of the qualifiable license, maybe follow the military scout sniper standards. That means you won't be qualified to handle the weapon unless you can get a tight group at 1000yards.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
That means you won't be qualified to handle the weapon unless you can get a tight group at 1000yards.
1000 yards, eh?
With a scope or are we going iron sights?
;)

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I'm not pushing back on the idea of having a qualification standard. I'm pointing out that a license isn't part of car ownership.

That being said, you're good with a slightly smaller diameter bullet that carries more energy as long as it's not labeled "50 BMG"?
people who drive without license or registered cars have to pay a heavy penalty when they get caught? kind of the idea. There also could be some incentive to being a law-abiding civilian marksman, like access to more dynamic training ground, discounts on gun parts, repairs, sales like if you're a good driver, you get insurance discounts.

the whole 50 cal thing I was basing it off of how the military employs them, if there was a case for usage in different situations, and if it comes down to life or death without that 50 cal, I guess it could be allowed. or better yet, there could be a super advanced marksmanship qualification course if you want to handle the 50 BMG, follow the similar standards to military's scout sniper standards and have to shoot target at 1000yards. of course a lot more time and effort should be invested for that type of qualification course.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
1000 yards, eh?
With a scope or are we going iron sights?
;)
hey, if you can shoot consistently, make tight groups at 1000 yards, you're more than welcome to apply to try out for my "super advanced long range marksmanship course" :D

in bootcamp, part of our qualification was to hit targets at 500 yards with an iron sight.

of course, there's plenty of qualified individuals who can even hit targets at 1000 yards with a pistol, this dude had some kind of modified sights tho

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
hey, if you can shoot consistently, make tight groups at 1000 yards, you're more than welcome to apply to try out for my "super advanced long range marksmanship course" :D

in bootcamp, part of our qualification was to hit targets at 500 yards with an iron sight.

of course, there's plenty of qualified individuals who can even hit targets at 1000 yards with a pistol, this dude had some kind of modified sights tho
LOL @ 1000 yards with a pistol.
Let's see him do that shit with a snub-nose .38

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

So he didn't hit the balloon?
The shrapnel did.

Hickok would have nailed the rubber.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
So he didn't hit the balloon?
The shrapnel did.

Hickok would have nailed the rubber.
Hickok is my favorite gun guy on youtube. I love the little range he has in his back yard, with all the metal animal shaped targets

T

The Big Guy

Only new gun law i would vote for is a handgun for every child over 5

Turn 21 you get an AR15

Never give weapons to women for obvious reasons

We need common sense gunlaws

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
We talk about manpower before these things happen. They always find the manpower after.

After 9/11 I was contacted by the FBI. Turns out my company had a very minor dealing with Atta. A 5 minute interaction. A few months before the attack and of course nothing to do with it. They made 3 contacts with us about it. They wanted to trace his every move months prior to 9/11. My point is they have the manpower after the fact. They should have it before as well.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
We talk about manpower before these things happen. They always find the manpower after.

After 9/11 I was contacted by the FBI. Turns out my company had a very minor dealing with Atta. A 5 minute interaction. A few months before the attack and of course nothing to do with it. They made 3 contacts with us about it. They wanted to trace his every move months prior to 9/11. My point is they have the manpower after the fact. They should have it before as well.
they don't have the manpower to chase every possible nutjob, only the ones that killed thousands of people.