What kind of gun or guns do you have?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
So I actually showed some restraint and I walked out of the store without the CZ SP-01.
But...

The local store down the road has the Steyr AUG and a layaway program. Holy shit am I tempted.

It’s Karl’s ride or die.

Last edited:

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I’ve never owned a .40 but it’s worth considering with the amount of ammo on the shelves now. It’s always seemed like a solid round though.

In other news...I’m going to pick up a Winchester model 70 7mm Rem Mag this afternoon. I got a really good price on it used and I wanna diversify my rifle calibers. Plus it gives me another round to reload.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I’ve never owned a .40 but it’s worth considering with the amount of ammo on the shelves now. It’s always seemed like a solid round though.

In other news...I’m going to pick up a Winchester model 70 7mm Rem Mag this afternoon. I got a really good price on it used and I wanna diversify my rifle calibers. Plus it gives me another round to reload.
love me some 7mm.

my step-dad had a 7mm Mauser that was cut down to a "sporter".

it probably had about 6 oz of wood on the whole thing. Kicked like a mule on meth.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
.40 and .357 are great handgun calibers because you can chamber everything from sub-compact to carbine and only have to bulk up on one type of ammo.

my edc is a .380 P3AT, but that's just because I got one when they first came out and there were no .40 options in a true "pocket-carry" platform.

these days, the SR40c is on my radar...if I knew someone who had one, or a range local that rented one, it'd probably be my next purchase.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
love me some 7mm.

my step-dad had a 7mm Mauser that was cut down to a "sporter".

it probably had about 6 oz of wood on the whole thing. Kicked like a mule on meth.
I’ve been cleaning up an old 8mm Yugo K98 and I’ve really come to appreciate the Mauser action and the controlled rod feed.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I’ve been cleaning up an old 8mm Yugo K98 and I’ve really come to appreciate the Mauser action and the controlled rod feed.
let me know if you want to build a Mauser. I've got some actions and tools for building subMOA rifles out of milsurps

bedding the right way, FWIW

EDIT - he uses electrical tape to float the barrel, I use plumbers tape because it's uniform thickness.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
.40 and .357 are great handgun calibers because you can chamber everything from sub-compact to carbine and only have to bulk up on one type of ammo.

my edc is a .380 P3AT, but that's just because I got one when they first came out and there were no .40 options in a true "pocket-carry" platform.

these days, the SR40c is on my radar...if I knew someone who had one, or a range local that rented one, it'd probably be my next purchase.
I found a couple used on Armslist in your area. They go for about tree fiddy.

let me know if you want to build a Mauser. I've got some actions and tools for building subMOA rifles out of milsurps

bedding the right way, FWIW

EDIT - he uses electrical tape to float the barrel, I use plumbers tape because it's uniform thickness.
I am definitely intrigued. I never knew this was an option.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I found a couple used on Armslist in your area. They go for about tree fiddy.

i just want to put a couple magazines through one to get a feel for the PoA and make sure it fits me.

my brother worked for Brownells, years ago. It's pretty straightforward to accurize a mauser...lap the lugs, get a good barrel (Sarco used to have Parker Hales for cheap), pillar-bed the action...you'll be in the MOA range.

build up a load for it and you're there.

EDIT - throw a Timney trigger on it.

if you go the Rem700/Howa1500 route, you can spin the action on a lathe and build a rifle that will outshoot you. :)

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
i just want to put a couple magazines through one to get a feel for the PoA and make sure it fits me.

my brother worked for Brownells, years ago. It's pretty straightforward to accurize a mauser...lap the lugs, get a good barrel (Sarco used to have Parker Hales for cheap), pillar-bed the action...you'll be in the MOA range.

build up a load for it and you're there.

EDIT - throw a Timney trigger on it.

if you go the Rem700/Howa1500 route, you can spin the action on a lathe and build a rifle that will outshoot you. :)
Lol at a lathe. I think you forgot I’m a retard.
Putting together your own rifle sounds incredibly awesome though.
The Yugo isn’t mine but I’m definitely in the market.

My dad’s neighbor put me one together about 25 years ago for my first elk hunt. I was so disappointed when I didn’t get to take it home. I got a 30-06 model 70 shortly after for Christmas. My dad said, you didn’t want that other gun anyways, it was something Mel through together as a youth model.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Lol at a lathe. I think you forgot I’m a retard.
Putting together your own rifle sounds incredibly awesome though.
The Yugo isn’t mine but I’m definitely in the market.

My dad’s neighbor put me one together about 25 years ago for my first elk hunt. I was so disappointed when I didn’t get to take it home. I got a 30-06 model 70 shortly after for Christmas. My dad said, you didn’t want that other gun anyways, it was something Mel through together as a youth model.
i was intimidated by the process, but I think I actually made a thread here about building a rifle using my pictures from 2006-ish when I was building them for fun.

it's a really great project, doesn't require much tooling or expertise, just attention to detail and following instructions.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
i was intimidated by the process, but I think I actually made a thread here about building a rifle using my pictures from 2006-ish when I was building them for fun.

it's a really great project, doesn't require much tooling or expertise, just attention to detail and following instructions.
Intimidation is the right word. At the present moment I don’t have the greatest workshop or tools but I feel I’d be fully capable of doing it. I’m a college grad, goddamn it!
I tend to learn by making mistakes, just ask my local gunsmith ?. Thank god he doesn’t charge me much or anything at all, most of the time.
Im gonna look for that thread and some more info online. You’ve peaked my childlike curiosity.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
.40 and .357 are great handgun calibers
Do you load your own 357? It’s been really scarce around here, and it’s also crazy expensive now so I haven’t bought any for quite a while. I have a Ruger Blackhawk, and I have way more .38 on hand for it than I do .357

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Do you load your own 357? It’s been really scarce around here, and it’s also crazy expensive now so I haven’t bought any for quite a while. I have a Ruger Blackhawk, and I have way more .38 on hand for it than I do .357
i bought a used 357 that came with ~ 800 rds. I mostly shoot .38 for practice and plinking, the 357 i hold out for the lever gun.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
i bought a used 357 that came with ~ 800 rds. I mostly shoot .38 for practice and plinking, the 357 i hold out for the lever gun.
Same - I almost always shoot 38, but the 357 is fun now and again. I like the idea of that in a lever gun!

the last time I saw 357 on the shelf at the store, it was about $50 a box. Fuck that.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Same - I almost always shoot 38, but the 357 is fun now and again. I like the idea of that in a lever gun!

the last time I saw 357 on the shelf at the store, it was about $50 a box. Fuck that.
my mom bought be a Marlin 94 in 357 when I got my BSEE. I prefer 44Mag in a lever gun, but I wanted something that went from pocket-rocket all the way up to lever. Awhile back I picked up a Ruger GP100 4" in Nickel for a bedside gun. I'd like to have a snubbie for daily carry, but I haven't gone there yet because:
1) i already have the P3AT and plenty of .380 ammo
2) i had the "pleasure" of working a friend's S&W Airweight with 357. that's a dog that'll bite the hand that feeds it.