What kind of gun or guns do you have?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Aero's M5's are awesome. They have a screw in the lower which allows you to mate it perfectly with the upper so there is zero rattling/movement (don't have the aero m4, but maybe they did that on that too?).
The M4 does as well.

Keep in mind that there is no mil-spec for the M5's though, it's kind of a shit show. Instead of fucking around, make sure to buy their BCG to make sure headspace isn't an issue. I made that mistake when doing one of my builds and by the time the build was finished and I realized that, I couldn't return the BCG.
Hmm, I did not know that. I ordered the BCG through Brownell's. I guess we'll see what happens.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
The M4 does as well.

Hmm, I did not know that. I ordered the BCG through Brownell's. I guess we'll see what happens.
Headspacing is an issue with the barrel as well. That's why with M5's you either want to go with the same manufacturer for the main components, or know through others that x will mate with y. Even triggers can be an issue. With M4's you can do as you please since it's mil-spec.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
This is based on the assumption that you're buying the Aero upper as well, by the way. Frankenstein builds on M5's can be a nightmare.
  • M5E1 Enhanced 20" .308 Stainless Steel Complete Upper Receiver
  • M5 MOE Lower Parts Kit
  • 308 Rifle Buffer & Spring (I already have the tube)
  • Magpul PRS® GEN3 Precision Adjustable Stock
  • AR10 BREACH® Ambi Charging Handle w/ Large Lever
  • Magpul PMAG® 10-round Non-Window M3 LR-308
  • 6.5 Creedmoor 24" Stainless Steel Barrel
  • .936 Low Profile Gas Block
  • Stainless Steel Gas Tube - Rifle length
  • AR 308 A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
  • .30 Caliber Crush Washer
I'll probably pickup an extra barrel nut for the second barrel so I don't need to completely disassemble it every time I want to change calibers.

The only part I didn't order through Aero was the BCG.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
  • M5 MOE Lower Parts Kit
I'll probably pickup an extra barrel nut for the second barrel so I don't need to completely disassemble it every time I want to change calibers.
In a perfect world it would be nice to have a separate upper for both calibers, and separate scope for each so you just slap it on, don't need to re-zero, and just be done with it. Same with your M4. But hey, money is money and I get that these projects are expensive as-is.
*Do not by any means use loctite on the threaded roll pin for the bolt catch, by the way. I made that mistake following some dipshit's advice on YouTube. Not fun to remove it and correct the error.*

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Multiple comments on the BCG I ordered specifically state that it works great with Aero M5 receivers.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
In a perfect world it would be nice to have a separate upper for both calibers, and separate scope for each so you just slap it on, don't need to re-zero, and just be done with it. Same with your M4. But hey, money is money and I get that these projects are expensive as-is.
Yeah, I already thought of that. I agree, but I don't think I'll swap out the barrels all that often. I'm pretty sure the M4 will be setup for .223 Remington and the M5 will be setup for .308 Winchester the majority of the time. .300 Blackout is kind of expensive right now. I've never shot Creedmoor 6.5, but I've been intrigued for a while now.

*Do not by any means use loctite on the threaded roll pin for the bolt catch, by the way. I made that mistake following some dipshit's advice on YouTube. Not fun to remove it and correct the error.*
Ha, noted. So far the only thing I've used Loctite on is the red dot mount. I ordered a complete upper for .300 Blackout. Pretty soon I'll switch that over to 5.56 NATO. I still need to pickup a wrench for the caste nut on the buffer tube, so I can torque that down and stake it. I will say I am impressed with the staking job done on the M4 BCG group I got in the mail today. It's a Toolcraft.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Ha, noted. So far the only thing I've used Loctite on is the red dot mount.
Aero's response to my cry for help was hilarious:
Unfortunately, you'll have to drill it out. Do NOT use loctite on any of the threaded parts for your firearm unless the specific manufacturer calls for it. We do not recommend loctite for anything.
I HAVE had success before in removing the threaded roll pins with broken screw extractors sets using a long driver making sure to use proper downward force on it. However, none of them had Loctite.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Aero's response to my cry for help was hilarious:
Unfortunately, you'll have to drill it out. Do NOT use loctite on any of the threaded parts for your firearm unless the specific manufacturer calls for it. We do not recommend loctite for anything.
I HAVE had success before in removing the threaded roll pins with broken screw extractors sets using a long driver making sure to use proper downward force on it. However, none of them had Loctite.
Everything that I've seen says to use red Loctite on the set screws for the gas block and blue Loctite for optics. Other than that, everything I've seen has mostly been people saying don't use Loctite elsewhere, specifically where grease should be used, such as where the barrel is inserted into the upper receiver and where the buffer tube attaches to the lower. I guess there are a lot of people that think Loctite is a good thing to have in those places which has frustrated numerous gunsmiths that have had to fix it.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Everything that I've seen says to use red Loctite on the set screws for the gas block and blue Loctite for optics. Other than that, everything I've seen has mostly been people saying don't use Loctite elsewhere, specifically where grease should be used, such as where the barrel is inserted into the upper receiver and where the buffer tube attaches to the lower. I guess there are a lot of people that think Loctite is a good thing to have in those places which has frustrated numerous gunsmiths that have had to fix it.
Gunsmiths shouldn't be frustrated by stupid things that keep them in business. Hell, if I were a gunsmith I'd be making up dummy accounts everywhere saying what not to do just for job security.
School janitors should pass out gum to kids, just so they get the overtime of scraping that shit off the bottom of desks.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You guys are pretty in-depth.

I don't know what mine's called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
For a short time when I was slangin dope,I started selling dope to a couple of people who mainlined so,I carried a .25 semi auto.This had to be around the mid 80's.

1680928221032.png

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
  • M5 MOE Lower Parts Kit

The only part I didn't order through Aero was the BCG.
Just noticed no trigger upgrade. Upgrade that shit before doing the build. No reason to not do it now.

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
For a short time when I was slinging dope,I started selling dope to a couple of people who mainlined so,I carried a .25 semi auto.This had to be around the mid 80's.

View attachment 85224
I had the same one lol
Saturday night special

Then had a berreta .25 with a tip up barrel

Now a keltec .32 for the same purpose

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
New gun (kinda) Wednesday! In before my state bans them.

View attachment 84871

View attachment 84872

They ran out of complete uppers for 5.56 NATO, so I went with the .300 Blackout. I'll probably buy a 5.56 NATO barrel once they are back in stock and just use both.

I still need to get a BCG and stock along with optics, light, sling, etc.

Edit: I noticed I forgot to order a rifle buffer kit, so I added that along with a Toolcraft BCG. I can always get the rest later. And a mag to what I've got, and the stick will go bang.

This type of gun was way low on my list of guns to buy. The DNC is doing a great job of getting more of these into the hands of private citizens now. I was going to prioritize either a .30-06, .308, or Creedmoor 6.5 first, then a bow, then a muzzleloader, then .22, then this. It would have been years before I got to this.
I have a 80% still waiting to build on.
Been wanting to do a 50 beowolf or .458 socom

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
Ammo price and availability though is why I’ll probably do another 5.56

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I'm calling this M4 done for now. I still need to put a light on it and either iron sights or an LPVO at some point. My M5 parts should be delivered sometime within the next week.

Mostly Aero Precision parts other than Magpul furniture, Toolcraft BCG, and a Vortex red dot.

PXL_20230410_200704699.jpg

Last edited: