Why do people like Mike Perry so much?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I don't get it. He seems to have a War Machine vibe.
but without all the convictions. Seems like a decent enough guy, albeit an attention-man-whore, but that's alright if you're a pro fighter.

Good, non-rapey bro-tastic douchebags are good to have around. Especially if they finish fights.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
probably many different reasons. To me, he's very douche bag like but at least he's being himself unlike Jon Jones who goes out of his way to hide himself. He makes me laugh with his douchebag antics and the shit that he says and he's got KO power, why wouldn't you want to follow him?

I'm also on the other side of the fence too, can't wait til someone comes along and puts his ass away.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
probably many different reasons. To me, he's very douche bag like but at least he's being himself unlike Jon Jones who goes out of his way to hide himself. He makes me laugh with his douchebag antics and the shit that he says and he's got KO power, why wouldn't you want to follow him?

I'm also on the other side of the fence too, can't wait til someone comes along and puts his ass away.
Jon Jones became himself in the end, but he didn't come across the same way, at all really.

Perry comes across "street" like an uneducated, double digtit IQ neanderthal and Jones comes across as a reasonably intelligent man who's been to post secondary, albeit who's made some pretty big mistakes in his career.

The number one thing though is, Jones isn't a brawler like Perry, he's a skilled fighter in every facet of MMA, one of the highest fight IQ's we'll ever see, that's something I respect above all.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Jon Jones became himself in the end, but he didn't come across the same way, at all really.

Perry comes across "street" like an uneducated, double digtit IQ neanderthal and Jones comes across as a reasonably intelligent man who's been to post secondary, albeit who's made some pretty big mistakes in his career.

The number one thing though is, Jones isn't a brawler like Perry, he's a skilled fighter in every facet of MMA, one of the highest fight IQ's we'll ever see, that's something I respect above all.
i guess it's about personal preference. Jones never became himself, he's been lying the entire time, swearing under his kids names, he was always afraid to be himself, Hiding under religion, he's a cheat and a douche bag but acts like he's some holy person.

Perry's not afraid of being himself regardless of what others think. Huge difference between Jones and Perry. I think people have a soft spot for honesty and Jones never showed that.

Sounds like you don't like Perry cuz he's uneducated, but if you don't know what walk of life the guy's been through, shouldn't judge him just on that. Some people don't have that privilege of having both mom and dad, bees, flowers, butterflies type of lifestyle (I think Jon Jones had a pretty stable family setup). I respect him for the fact that he's a pro MMA fighter, something I wouldn't be able to do, other stuff, yea some might annoy me but I don't really care unless you fuck up consistently like Jon Jones.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Perry looks dangerous, and plays the part pretty well. He's more or less in the Diaz personality mode in that he doesn't come off as a pretender and seems to say pretty much whatever comes to mind. Also, like both Diaz bros, he's sometimes unintentionally funny. Unlike them, though, he seems to realize it and can play off his own malapropisms. He's a good interview and has a great face-off and perfect street scowl.

To top it all off, he throws the kitchen sink at his opponents in the octagon and whatever you think of his skills, you have to respect that approach. He's not in there to fuck around or carefully craft his career into a piece of china to admire in a curio cabinet. He's a mad, bad explosive headhunter with lots of potential. Of course, that will only take him so far. But if he manages to find a way to mediate his aggression with some strategic patience and add a little variety in his skill set, anything can happen.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I can't stand him.

He reminds me of every idiot in my home town that's a redneck and wants to be a gang banger. He surrounds himself with more idiots. He's terrible on a microphone. He just has so many outward qualities that make him seem like a garbage human being.

All that said, his fights are always entertaining. He has really heavy hands and some decent skills to go with it. He's not polished by any means but he's much better with combinations and using the clinch than most brawlers.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I didn't really love Perry before, and his personality was a bit of a turn-off, but I ended up with him in MagWar, so now I am rooting for him no matter what. And he gave me 23 points this quarter.

M

member 3289

Perry looks dangerous, and plays the part pretty well. He's more or less in the Diaz personality mode in that he doesn't come off as a pretender and seems to say pretty much whatever comes to mind. Also, like both Diaz bros, he's sometimes unintentionally funny. Unlike them, though, he seems to realize it and can play off his own malapropisms. He's a good interview and has a great face-off and perfect street scowl.

To top it all off, he throws the kitchen sink at his opponents in the octagon and whatever you think of his skills, you have to respect that approach. He's not in there to fuck around or carefully craft his career into a piece of china to admire in a curio cabinet. He's a mad, bad explosive headhunter with lots of potential. Of course, that will only take him so far. But if he manages to find a way to mediate his aggression with some strategic patience and add a little variety in his skill set, anything can happen.
Possibly post of the year right here.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I think people recognize that he's a genuine character and not putting on an act. You either love him or hate him.

Add to that the fact that he's exciting, 100% of his wins are by knockout and already has 4 vicious KO's in the UFC, the Ellenburger one being on of the most vicious in UFC history.

He's a guy that's either going to win very violently or go down in a blaze of glory. What's not to like?

M

member 3289

I think people recognize that he's a genuine character and not putting on an act.
This is basically it right here.

You can like him or dislike him, but what you see is what you get with this guy. Fighters who aren't fake in any way will always have big fanbases.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015

IMO, this is a perfect example of the street scowl/dick smirk combined with unintentional comedy. The hair, the beard, the smirk, & delivery are all pretty damn funny. Even Dan Hardy LOL's at the end. And what the hell is that thing draped over his shoulders?!?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecO7tnc5CI

Mindsmash has a fair, insightful look at Perry:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKQQF5U76I

Till's probably gonna beat Perry like a rented mule, but a guy with that kind of dynamite in his fist is always dangerous.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
In answer to op, I’m not sure but I like him for now. He took the ball and ran with it is all I can say

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
Guy makes his third Mike Perry thread in the past 3 fucking days and wonders why Mike Perry is so popular lol
I've only made two threads that had anything to do with Perry, and the first was more about how Till is going to make him fall like a sack of potatoes.

This one was more to better understand the support the guy gets, which I've been confused about since it began.

But it's been adequately explained too me. I don't appreciate the same qualities in a fighter, but now I understand.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
I can't stand him.

He reminds me of every idiot in my home town that's a redneck and wants to be a gang banger. He surrounds himself with more idiots. He's terrible on a microphone. He just has so many outward qualities that make him seem like a garbage human being.

All that said, his fights are always entertaining. He has really heavy hands and some decent skills to go with it. He's not polished by any means but he's much better with combinations and using the clinch than most brawlers.
He reminds me of every Skeet I hated with a passion when I was a growing up.

Just a douchey, unlikable person, with no class and no brain.

Edit: no fighter bashing please - L

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 3289

I've only made two threads that had anything to do with Perry, and the first was more about how Till is going to make him fall like a sack of potatoes.

This one was more to better understand the support the guy gets, which I've been confused about since it began.

But it's been adequately explained too me. I don't appreciate the same qualities in a fighter, but now I understand.
*to*