Why do people like Mike Perry so much?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Lol at people who think “street” equals dumb. It may not be your world but Perry is a decent dude who simply talks in a vanacular you’re not accustomed to or associate with a genre of music or lifestyle. The dude grew up, got over his silly childish ways and is now on his way to being a ufc standout, and with a little luck, a star if you will.

Why I like him? He’s local to us so that’s a selling point as well as watching him grow up in the last year or two. He went from winning a fight and carrying 10k in cash to the courthouse for some prior offenses to cleaning up his act and taking the fame in stride. He could have gone all silly and stayed “hard” or whatever but he realized that this was his ticket out of that world and he took it seriously. He’s learned how to restrain himself in social media (unlike some) and has learned to use it to bring himself more fame and attention.

We like stories of people digging themselves out of a shitty situation and making the most of it. He’s doing that with some great highlight reel knockouts and a silly personality on camera. The UFC has recognized the heat he’s bringing and they’ve also marketed him better than most other new comers.

Now I’m not suggesting his going to be a huge star or the next champ etc but I’ll definitely tune in for his fights as he tries.

Nov 21, 2015

IMO, this is a perfect example of the street scowl/dick smirk combined with unintentional comedy. The hair, the beard, the smirk, & delivery are all pretty damn funny. Even Dan Hardy LOL's at the end. And what the hell is that thing draped over his shoulders?!?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecO7tnc5CI

Mindsmash has a fair, insightful look at Perry:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKQQF5U76I

Till's probably gonna beat Perry like a rented mule, but a guy with that kind of dynamite in his fist is always dangerous.

That interview was priceless and a prime example why people like him.
It was genuine. You can tell thats just who he is and even though he had no
idea what to do with his hands and it was cringey as fuck...

Mike was just being himself there so instead of focusing on the
cringey it just makes you focus on the fact it was funny as hell and
you can't help but root for him.

giusti825

Oct 20, 2015
TBH.....the 'platinum nation' started as a joke to make fun of how the new Conor fans were over-the-top when it came to their praise of Conor.....it was done as a joke to make fun of conor fans....part of the joke was picking someone who sounded like a complete idiot....also to make fun of conor fans....

the problem with internet sarcasm is that some people dont recognize it when they see it....

so we have a bunch of people who jumped onto a fake band wagon while the people who started it as a joke are laughing their asses off.....

Mike Perry will likely make millions more and get earlier title shots because a whole fandom didnt realize that they are the butt of a joke on another fighter....

its actually kinda funny.....

its like how bronies started....except in mma.....

Last edited:

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Lol at people who think “street” equals dumb. It may not be your world but Perry is a decent dude who simply talks in a vanacular you’re not accustomed to or associate with a genre of music or lifestyle. The dude grew up, got over his silly childish ways and is now on his way to being a ufc standout, and with a little luck, a star if you will.

Why I like him? He’s local to us so that’s a selling point as well as watching him grow up in the last year or two. He went from winning a fight and carrying 10k in cash to the courthouse for some prior offenses to cleaning up his act and taking the fame in stride. He could have gone all silly and stayed “hard” or whatever but he realized that this was his ticket out of that world and he took it seriously. He’s learned how to restrain himself in social media (unlike some) and has learned to use it to bring himself more fame and attention.

We like stories of people digging themselves out of a shitty situation and making the most of it. He’s doing that with some great highlight reel knockouts and a silly personality on camera. The UFC has recognized the heat he’s bringing and they’ve also marketed him better than most other new comers.

Now I’m not suggesting his going to be a huge star or the next champ etc but I’ll definitely tune in for his fights as he tries.
Being street doesn't automatically mean you're dumb.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
I'm all about the style.

It's number one for me.

If a fighter is athletic, skilled at striking and as a bonus can also do some great grappling, I'm a fan. Generally needs to be in that order. I'm not a huge fan of grappling based fighters, rather fighters with suplement grappling, or Wresting/Grappling as a equal or secondary base too their striking.

This is why I like Jon Jones, Aldo, Thompson(still needs to redeem himself after those terrile fights with Woodley though), Till, Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Johnson, etc.

From what I can see, Perry is just a brawler and his personality is a huge turn off.
Think personality and skill/style go hand and hand. If you have a personality and no skills, you are Julian Lane. You have all the talent and no personality you are Mighty Mouse. Have both, you are a McGregor.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
TBH.....the 'platinum nation' started as a joke to make fun of how the new Conor fans were over-the-top when it came to their praise of Conor.....it was done as a joke to make fun of conor fans....part of the joke was picking someone who sounded like a complete idiot....also to make fun of conor fans....

the problem with internet sarcasm is that some people dont recognize it when they see it....

so we have a bunch of people who jumped onto a fake band wagon while the people who started it as a joke are laughing their asses off.....

Mike Perry will likely make millions more and get earlier title shots because a whole fandom didnt realize that they are the butt of a joke on another fighter....

its actually kinda funny.....

its like how bronies started....except in mma.....
Or maybe the joke back fired. You can look at it either way but Perry is the one laughing...all the way to the bank. ;)

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He seemed to gain a legion of fans out of nowhere.

There are lots of better fighters than him and he has the personality of a wigger.

I don't get the appeal.

Not trying to fighter bash I just want a genuine answer from this forum.
I like him because he is exciting, seems real and has worked hard to get where he is at. Plus it's fun to watch him throw those stone hands.

Oh..... and this!

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
OMG consider me a Fan for sure now

That woman is amazing...perfect

Good on you Mike Perry...u a bad mofo
I've been meaning to inquire about tennis lessons from her but I didn't want to get the stink eye from Perry either so..............I haven't yet :p

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
I'm a big fan, and always checking in on his social media platforms to see if he has new content. He's girlfriend seems pretty awesome too, I suggest following her too.

I agree with much written here about his genuine personality. He's performances is what stood out for me at first, then I began watching interviews, which made me like him more.