Society Why do Regular Citizens Need Assault Weapons?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

I'm a little confused, I don't know how GOD got involved in this.

I'm going off of the 2nd amendment which reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Bill of Rights also state, we have Freedom of Religion.
Going off the stated public opinion (a few here, and largely in other public forums like Twitter, IG, FB, etc) that owning an AR-15 is a "God given right"... I was pointing out the issue I had with that highly illogical (I guess I should state IMO) sentiment.

M

member 603

No offense, but I asked you a direct "Yes" or "No" question.
None taken, doesn't matter one way or the other to me... But these are the talk points brought up by the supporters of 2A in a lot of social forums as a defense to guns.... Again, you jumped on @conor mcgregor nut hugger for his opinion, I've just been pointing out the flawed logic (publicly, not YOU specifically) of AR-15 defenders and 2A enthusiasts.

It went from "you can't get rid of that gun, it's our God given right".... Well we've established here that the Constitution supercedes the Bible here.... So it renders the God given right talk point moot.

Next up was that it's not the gun, but crazy people.... So my retort is, should we not do better by saying that even though 2A enthusiasts say that the Constitution states that everyone should have a gun, if they are crazy, especially known crazy, they shouldn't get one?

The the next thought is, how do you identify "crazy" or even potentially crazy... My question is, if a person is prescribed a mood inhibitor, or anti depressants, or has know infractions like DUI's (a known depressant).... Could that not be an identifier of potential mental health disorders or issues? IT'S NOT AN ACCUSATION, it's a inquiry.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So my retort is, should we not do better by saying that even though 2A enthusiasts say that the Constitution states that everyone should have a gun, if they are crazy, especially known crazy, they shouldn't get one?
Which is why I've asked if that idea is predicated on the notion that someone who's deemed crazy is too dangerous to own a firearm. You seem reluctant to answer. I've also asked why you believe the AR15 in particular is problematic.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That's an interpretation of what was stated, not specifically stated.... Which is subjective, is it not? Two people read the same thing and see it differently. Two people read the same Bible and determine what is the more important "story". In pecking order, would not Jesus father and his "thou shalt not kill" outweigh whatever junior said?
If Old Testament >> New Testament...well, you're not going to like the way God treats people...or expects them to treat each other.

"This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you"; "drink ye all of it"; "this do ye...in remembrance of me"

Christ was the new covenant, which superseded the old.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If Old Testament >> New Testament...well, you're not going to like the way God treats people...or expects them to treat each other.

"This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you"; "drink ye all of it"; "this do ye...in remembrance of me"

Christ was the new covenant, which superseded the old.
One of the rare cases where the sequel is better than the original.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
None taken, doesn't matter one way or the other to me... But these are the talk points brought up by the supporters of 2A in a lot of social forums as a defense to guns.... Again, you jumped on @conor mcgregor nut hugger for his opinion, I've just been pointing out the flawed logic (publicly, not YOU specifically) of AR-15 defenders and 2A enthusiasts.

It went from "you can't get rid of that gun, it's our God given right".... Well we've established here that the Constitution supercedes the Bible here.... So it renders the God given right talk point moot.

Next up was that it's not the gun, but crazy people.... So my retort is, should we not do better by saying that even though 2A enthusiasts say that the Constitution states that everyone should have a gun, if they are crazy, especially known crazy, they shouldn't get one?

The the next thought is, how do you identify "crazy" or even potentially crazy... My question is, if a person is prescribed a mood inhibitor, or anti depressants, or has know infractions like DUI's (a known depressant).... Could that not be an identifier of potential mental health disorders or issues? IT'S NOT AN ACCUSATION, it's a inquiry.
you're all over the place...the Constitution is the law. The law says that because 'men in fancy hats' get to have arms, the people get to have the same arms. The moral authority to write a Constitution stems from the acknowledgment that all men have equal rights, which they may not be deprived of without due process.

You're dancing a happy jig on an icy slope when you say that the accusation of mental state is sufficient due process to satisfy the moral obligation of the 'men in fancy hats' to treat everyone equally before the law.

M

member 603

Which is why I've asked if that idea is predicated on the notion that someone who's deemed crazy is too dangerous to own a firearm. You seem reluctant to answer. I've also asked why you believe the AR15 in particular is problematic.
Do I feel that someone who is crazy is too dangerous to own a firearm?.... Personally, Yes, because the only consistency you get with crazy is unpredictable behavior.

In regards to the AR, I will say that anything in the hands of crazy is dangerous, however in regards to this firearm, and the faster rate of discharge, capacity of magazines, and the fact that it seems like modernly, there seems to be more of an involvement in mass shootings with this weapon than others.... Maybe we put this one back on the shelf, and let mass shooters go back to using Uzi's LOL

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Do I feel that someone who is crazy is too dangerous to own a firearm?.... Personally, Yes, because the only consistency you get with crazy is unpredictable behavior.

In regards to the AR, I will say that anything in the hands of crazy is dangerous, however in regards to this firearm, and the faster rate of discharge, capacity of magazines, and the fact that it seems like modernly, there seems to be more of an involvement in mass shootings with this weapon than others.... Maybe we put this one back on the shelf, and let mass shooters go back to using Uzi's LOL
your first mistake is generalizing all crazy people as violent.
your next is thinking that AR's fire faster than handguns or shotguns. They do not.
your final mistake is in believing that your perception is reality. ARs are not used in more 'mass shootings' than other weapons.

In fact, the rate of mass shootings, like all violence, is on a long downward trend.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If that's the case, why let them walk the streets at all?

In regards to the AR, I will say that anything in the hands of crazy is dangerous, however in regards to this firearm, and the faster rate of discharge, capacity of magazines.
But there are countless other firearms that meet all those criteria.

Maybe we put this one back on the shelf, and let mass shooters go back to using Uzi's LOL
and that's the crux of the problem. It's like saying "Well, a lot of car accidents involve Honda Civics. So let's ban Honda Civics and make the roads safer."

M

member 603

you're all over the place...the Constitution is the law. The law says that because 'men in fancy hats' get to have arms, the people get to have the same arms. The moral authority to write a Constitution stems from the acknowledgment that all men have equal rights, which they may not be deprived of without due process.

You're dancing a happy jig on an icy slope when you say that the accusation of mental state is sufficient due process to satisfy the moral obligation of the 'men in fancy hats' to treat everyone equally before the law.
The whole point is that this WHOLE TOPIC is all over the place.... As much as AR supporters and 2A enthusiasts mock "liberal snowflakes", their arguments range from God Given Right, to everyone has the right, to whatever they want to pivot into to support their beliefs.

I'll bottom line it for me.... Personally I feel that AR-15's are fun as fuck to shoot, however I don't think that this particular firearm (and here's the kicker), others in it's classification should be owned by the general public. They should be issued to military and LEO's (especially when I hear from friends and family in our armed forces that at times, their issued weapons suck). I feel that handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles are all ok (and I know that you can obviously go on sprees with these weapons as well). We're a nation that wasn't responsible enough with 40 ounce beer or Four Locos, so most states got rid of them, so if we need to put a pause in this weapon's public access to reevaluate the rules/regulations... What's the harm?

M

member 603

If that's the case, why let them walk the streets at all?

But there are countless other firearms that meet all those criteria.

and that's the crux of the problem. It's like saying "Well, a lot of car accidents involve Honda Civics. So let's ban Honda Civics and make the roads safer."
They have banned vehicles that were problematic.

And they should lock up crazy people... Especially the women... So I stop dating them

M

member 603

your first mistake is generalizing all crazy people as violent.
your next is thinking that AR's fire faster than handguns or shotguns. They do not.
your final mistake is in believing that your perception is reality. ARs are not used in more 'mass shootings' than other weapons.

In fact, the rate of mass shootings, like all violence, is on a long downward trend.
Are all crazy people violent? No..... Are all violent people crazy?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The whole point is that this WHOLE TOPIC is all over the place.... As much as AR supporters and 2A enthusiasts mock "liberal snowflakes", their arguments range from God Given Right, to everyone has the right, to whatever they want to pivot into to support their beliefs.

I'll bottom line it for me.... Personally I feel that AR-15's are fun as fuck to shoot, however I don't think that this particular firearm (and here's the kicker), others in it's classification should be owned by the general public. They should be issued to military and LEO's (especially when I hear from friends and family in our armed forces that at times, their issued weapons suck). I feel that handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles are all ok (and I know that you can obviously go on sprees with these weapons as well). We're a nation that wasn't responsible enough with 40 ounce beer or Four Locos, so most states got rid of them, so if we need to put a pause in this weapon's public access to reevaluate the rules/regulations... What's the harm?
i just laid out the the argument that people who favor Rule of Law support. Now you want to equate consumption of a beverage with the right to protect yourself from others...but you think LEOs should get a pass? You think LEOs are vetted, trained, and accountable? Do you watch the news?

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015

You're correct that since the United States is a secular government, the "god-given right" argument doesn't hold water. The point being clumsily made by the "god-given right" is valid once we take out the religious overtones and realize that what this claim is referring to in reality is the concept of natural rights. The framers of the Constitution and the Supreme Court do recognize natural rights - those that all people have by virtue of being alive. Too many people fall into the mistake of thinking that the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights are granted by the Constitution. This is incorrect. Things like freedom of the press, freedom of religion, the right to keep and bear arms, the right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure without due process, etc., are not granted by the Constitution, but rather already existing rights that are merely protected by the Constitution.

The Supreme Court specifically addresses this in the opinion for District of Columbia vs Heller (2008) DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

"Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background of the Second Amendment . We look to this because it has always been widely understood that the Second Amendment , like the First and Fourth Amendment s, codified a pre-existing right. The very text of the Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it “shall not be infringed.” As we said in United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U. S. 542, 553 (1876) , “[t]his is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second amendment declares that it shall not be infringed …"

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Are all crazy people violent? No..... Are all violent people crazy?
violence is not a product of mental illness in all cases. It's often the most rational action in a given situation.

M

member 603

i just laid out the the argument that people who favor Rule of Law support. Now you want to equate consumption of a beverage with the right to protect yourself from others...but you think LEOs should get a pass? You think LEOs are vetted, trained, and accountable? What planet are you living on?

you're all over the place.
I know and train plenty of well trained and vetted LEOs who suffer through all the shitty stuff that happens every time a shitty cop pulls the stuff that happens around our country.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I know and train plenty of well trained and vetted LEOs who suffer through all the shitty stuff that happens every time a shitty cop pulls the stuff that happens around out country.
just like the hundred million firearm owners who have to suffer through this same BS every time some naked weirdo decides to use a firearm to accomplish his violent ends.

M

member 603

just like the hundred million firearm owners who have to suffer through this same BS every time some naked weirdo decides to use a firearm to accomplish his violent ends.
It is ironic... The same can be said about the millions of great Muslim people, or Latinos, or Blacks... Fuck, of conservative Republicans AND liberal Democrats who all just want to live in peace and harmony, and also want their rights to have their own opinions, live their lives, embrace their differences, and not get treated like they personally killed the World's puppy

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
So if it is not the easy access to guns...

What is different/unique with American culture/citizens that creates a much higher rate of violence compared to other similar nations (with stricter gun restriction laws)?

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
So if it is not the easy access to guns...

What is different/unique with American culture/citizens that creates a much higher rate of violence compared to other similar nations (with stricter gun restriction laws)?
violence, or gun violence?

and are firearm restrictions the only difference?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
violence, or gun violence?
Do we need to get ultra specific here or can you grasp the over all picture?

Gun violence in America is an outlier when compared to other nations. Why do you think this is ?
are you familiar with "single-source fallacy"?

Without conceding that the US is more violent than other developed countries, why is access to firearms the sole factor at play?

and what about all those developed countries with HIGHLY restricted firearms ownership with murder rates 10X that of the US? Can we say that restrictions on self-defense are the only reason that their murder rates are so high?

Are you grasping the overall picture now?

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
are you familiar with "single-source fallacy"?

Without conceding that the US is more violent than other developed countries, why is access to firearms the sole factor at play?

Why do you think America experiences so much more violence than say its Canadian neighbors?

We have basically an invisible boarder between us.. Yet, Canadian citizens experience much less gun violence crimes per capita. Any thoughts on this?