Personal Work Is For Suckers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

spoke to a good friend about this...looks like it's time to schedule a Sit Down with the Cmdr and talk numbers and strategy.
If I went down this path, she'd be working full-time for the wage and bennies.
Do you think a woman will ever love me

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
<shakes Magic 8 Ball>

"Signs Point Toward Starting Your Own Consulting Business"

Keung

Banned
Jun 28, 2017
Lol only a straight up bum would work for the man

I haven't held employment for the last 6 years and love every second

Keep living the corporate life sheep

But but but money

Haha

I live simply and work not

Clowns

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
filed for an LLC, starting making my own designs - since the company I work for 'passed' on my proposal.
<insert fake disappointment>

I have another company lined up as a sales outlet, and I've been meeting with their CEO. I showed him my designs on Friday, and he scheduled an 'emergency meeting' with his design team for Monday. He was going to let everyone off until New Years, but changed his mind and decided the design folks and project managers can come in Monday to meet with me. He wants to make sure they see this before they shut down for the next 2 weeks. Hope they're excited by my ideas, or I'm not going to have any friends in that room. :)

I'm going to put together some cost estimates for Hardware and write some proof-of-concept software after the first of the year...and then customer interviews starting around the end of January/early Feb. If we get customer buy-in, I'll figure out how much (if any) money I want from outside investors. Still plenty of opportunity for it to go sideways, but things are trending in a positive direction.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Lol only a straight up bum would work for the man

I haven't held employment for the last 6 years and love every second

Keep living the corporate life sheep

But but but money

Haha

I live simply and work not

Clowns
You shut up your banned!!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
LLC should be official on Jan 1, first customer meeting is targeted for the first week of Feb.
and I meet with a patent attorney on Monday to make sure I'm doing all the necessary documentation and due diligence to harvest IP.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
LLC should be official on Jan 1, first customer meeting is targeted for the first week of Feb.
and I meet with a patent attorney on Monday to make sure I'm doing all the necessary documentation and due diligence to harvest IP.
No fucken idea what you said but rest up and take your pills

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
No fucken idea what you said but rest up and take your pills
been resting up and taking my pills, but it's been a long slow slog through design and IP law. But I just got off the phone with the 3rd patent attorney, and she's given the FINAL sign-off for the patent submission. I also decided to do an industry survey through a contact that publishes the largest (he says, but it's not *the* trade mag) trade magazine in the business, so once we're officially "patent-pending" the real business development work begins.

It's been almost a year working this, but in the meantime I may have identified a steady income stream doing 'verification' testing for TEMPEST (Telecommunications Electronics Materials Protected from Emanating Spurious Transmissions) devices for NATO, and as a consultant for ISO 17025 accreditation.

it's pretty frightening to be talking about leaving a cushy job with benefits right now, but life is a one-time ride.

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
been resting up and taking my pills, but it's been a long slow slog through design and IP law. But I just got off the phone with the 3rd patent attorney, and she's given the FINAL sign-off for the patent submission. I also decided to do an industry survey through a contact that publishes the largest (he says, but it's not *the* trade mag) trade magazine in the business, so once we're officially "patent-pending" the real business development work begins.

It's been almost a year working this, but in the meantime I may have identified a steady income stream doing 'verification' testing for TEMPEST (Telecommunications Electronics Materials Protected from Emanating Spurious Transmissions) devices for NATO, and as a consultant for ISO 17025 accreditation.

it's pretty frightening to be talking about leaving a cushy job with benefits right now, but life is one-time ride.
I am going to steal your idea

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

it's pretty frightening to be talking about leaving a cushy job with benefits right now, but life is a one-time ride.
Are you able to talk about your specific tempest verification process? Do you deal with the physical infrastructure or just software side?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Are you able to talk about your specific tempest verification process? Do you deal with the physical infrastructure or just software side?
Hardware verification. I did s/w verification/validation classes as part of my grad degree, but this would be MIL-464 testing as a CTTSL

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
anyone working as a consultant, or taking contracts for income? Do you have a standard contract, or do you use an attorney to review contracts submitted to you?

Also, can any of you self-employed folks help me with what to look for in an accountant? Bookkeeping won't be an issue, but i've heard that once you hit a certain income level, your business should have an accountant.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My father does, I can ask him.
He's had someone who handles the finances for awhile.

M

member 1013

anyone working as a consultant, or taking contracts for income? Do you have a standard contract, or do you use an attorney to review contracts submitted to you?

Also, can any of you self-employed folks help me with what to look for in an accountant? Bookkeeping won't be an issue, but i've heard that once you hit a certain income level, your business should have an accountant.
Standard contract that can be amended

you want a smart accountant with a backbone. Beyond that... certified? Lol

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
how do ya'll handle your health insurance? I looked on HealthCare.gov and it's a bunch of HMO plans.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
If they’re telling you you’re still on sabbatical, you best try to get a meeting