Sports 2017 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I watched last nights game at a Brooklyn bar, Yanks fans have zero optimism when Judge comes up. Wasn't that way in the first half of the year
I don't blame them. He's hitting .170 since the break.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Joey Votto has reached base at least twice for 20 consecutive games. That is a current Reds record, and matches Barry Bonds for the longest streak since 2004. He is one away from the all time record set by Ted Williams in 1948.

He currently leads MLB with a .448 OBP

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Joey Votto has reached base at least twice for 20 consecutive games. That is a current Reds record, and matches Barry Bonds for the longest streak since 2004. He is one away from the all time record set by Ted Williams in 1948.

The guy gets little credit too. He has the quietest, a tleast among the media, seasons where he finishes top 3 in MVP voting in history

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
On Monday, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, and Aaron Hicks all hit their 40th career HR in the SAME game!

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015

Here in Canada he gets no love as well. Typically Canadian athletes that do well in sports outside of hockey get lots of coverage, with Votto, not so much.

When Tyler Ennis was with Syracuse in March Madness the media were going nuts about it.

We have one of best players from the last decade plus and we don't celebrate it.

My thought is because he plays in the national league and of course the majority of fans follow Toronto and the American League. Tons of Mariner fans here as well.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Here in Canada he gets no love as well. Typically Canadian athletes that do well in sports outside of hockey get lots of coverage, with Votto, not so much.

When Tyler Ennis was with Syracuse in March Madness the media were going nuts about it.

We have one of best players from the last decade plus and we don't celebrate it.

My thought is because he plays in the national league and of course the majority of fans follow Toronto and the American League. Tons of Mariner fans here as well.
In my opinion, he's the best hitter in the game today. He's a throwback.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Hauler @Hauler don't know if you listen to Buster Olney's baseball tonight podcast, but they'll be discussing Votto's legacy on it today
I don't. I just started getting into podcasts. I listen to The Ringer MLB. It's pretty good. I will add Olney to the list. I like that guy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I don't. I just started getting into podcasts. I listen to The Ringer MLB. It's pretty good. I will add Olney to the list. I like that guy.

Thanks for the heads up.
I like it, podcasts are the only thing I can listen to on sports anymore, sports radio these days is so stupid & hot take driven I can't take more than a few minutes. Last time I tuned into espn radio there was an hour long discussion about if Joe Flacco was elite with all their blowhards calling in to weigh in, that was the straw that broke the camel's back

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I like it, podcasts are the only thing I can listen to on sports anymore, sports radio these days is so stupid & hot take driven I can't take more than a few minutes. Last time I tuned into espn radio there was an hour long discussion about if Joe Flacco was elite with all their blowhards calling in to weigh in, that was the straw that broke the camel's back
I dropped ESPN. Their political shit drove me nuts. I listen to Fox. I like Dan Patrick. Clay Travis is tolerable on the drive in to work. Rich Eisen is OK. Cowherd is eh. Occasionally he makes me want to rip my ears off.

But I'm drifting more and more towards podcasts.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I dropped ESPN. Their political shit drove me nuts. I listen to Fox. I like Dan Patrick. Clay Travis is tolerable on the drive in to work. Rich Eisen is OK. Cowherd is eh. Occasionally he makes me want to rip my ears off.

But I'm drifting more and more towards podcasts.
It was already bad a few years ago when I quit, but I still hear about the SJW microaggression du jour in the 1 minute snippets I listen to before I flip the channel.

Baseball tonight is about the only podcast I listen to for baseball that's not 100% DFS related, but the Ringer NFL pods are good, the Bill Barnwell show is good from ESPN, also like the ESPN behind the bets podcasts. There's a lot of good ones out there though, the only type of podcasts I can stand are from the nerds who really wish they were GM's & always talk about contracts or potential trades, I don't care about that but apparently there are a lot of people that do

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It was already bad a few years ago when I quit, but I still hear about the SJW microaggression du jour in the 1 minute snippets I listen to before I flip the channel.

Baseball tonight is about the only podcast I listen to for baseball that's not 100% DFS related, but the Ringer NFL pods are good, the Bill Barnwell show is good from ESPN, also like the ESPN behind the bets podcasts. There's a lot of good ones out there though, the only type of podcasts I can stand are from the nerds who really wish they were GM's & always talk about contracts or potential trades, I don't care about that but apparently there are a lot of people that do
I still go to ESPN's website occasionally. Last week they had listed out THE 50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES OF ALL TIME. Two articles down from that link was an article by an ESPN guy that said "LEAVING TIGER WOODS OFF THE LIST OF THE TOP 50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES IS A HUGE INJUSTICE".

They were literally creating their own controversy. So fucking transparent. I didn't open either article - just rolled my fucking eyes.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds just put up 8 in the 2nd so far, Lester pulled his 'I'm ready to drink, act like I'm hurt' routine
Yup. Votto hit his 32nd bomb of the season.

Hopefully Feldman can hold the lead. Haha.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Yup. Votto hit his 32nd bomb of the season.

Hopefully Feldman can hold the lead. Haha.
Reds has 4 of the soft hits to start it off then Votto was able to foul a few pitches off he had no business not causing an out on before he went yard, I think that's when lester decided it's beer o'clock

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Judge struck out 3 times last night.
That's 34 games in a row with a strikeout - a record he keeps building on.

He is 2nd in MLB in both Strikeouts (162) (Miguel Sano, 168) and Walks (88) (Joey Votto, 99).

He's on a pace for 218 strikeouts. Mark Reynolds holds the all time record with a single season total of 223.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Judge is strange in comparison to a lot of guys with big strikeout numbers because he hits for average and gets on base a lot. Normally at least one of those numbers is low.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Judge is strange in comparison to a lot of guys with big strikeout numbers because he hits for average and gets on base a lot. Normally at least one of those numbers is low.
It's odd. Reminds me of Adam Dunn a bit. Dunn would either strike out, walk or hit a bomb. But Dunn never came close to having the batting average that Judge has.