Sports 2023 - All Things Racing Thread (Official)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
NASCAR is at Pocono today.
William Byron is on the pole with veteran Martin Truex qualifying 2nd.

Known as the "Tricky Triangle", the 2.5 mile Pocono features 3 turns - all with different degree bankings - and the longest straightaway on the circuit at 3/4 of a mile.

1690116197139.png

Green flag drops at 2:30 for that one.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Haven't seen a good helmet toss in a minute.

Good on ya Austin!!! LMAO.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
NASCAR is at Pocono today.
William Byron is on the pole with veteran Martin Truex qualifying 2nd.

Known as the "Tricky Triangle", the 2.5 mile Pocono features 3 turns - all with different degree bankings - and the longest straightaway on the circuit at 3/4 of a mile.

View attachment 87902

Green flag drops at 2:30 for that one.
They closed our nascar track in Fontana the auto club speedway that place was great I now have to go to nevada las vegas motor speedway.

View: https://youtu.be/niDleEsONFk?si=xi4NXmOM416m2PDg

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
Made it to the 6th stop of the USAC Midget Week at Lawrenceburg Speedway last night. Gowdamn these guys can drive.

So much fun to watch. A couple of the cars had go pros mounted on the roll cage. Hopefully they post footage.

A chick who sounded about 16 years old took 3rd. Very impressive.

View attachment 86646
subscibe to tmeztv on yt. great follow.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Screenshot_20231120_204020.jpg

And most impressively - it still stands to this day.

Great record by a great dude. He passed not too long ago.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Duel #1 is getting ready to start.
FS1

These 2 short races (60 laps) determine Sunday's Daytona 500 starting order.

So get out your sleeveless flannel and crack open a PBR. Let's go racing!

Last edited:

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Fuck nascar. I miss the American V8 Supercar series from 10-15yrs or so ago. American V8 production based cars on road courses. Took my FIL & Son to the inaugural event at Laguna Seca. Great weekend of racing with the guys from Griggs, Maximum Motorsports & CorteX representing the Mustang crowd & plenty of GM support there as well. Had several other series running in Miata's, some prototype classes & a couple import classes. Open pits to interact with the teams & if you had an RV, $25 got you a full hookup campsite for the weekend at the park next door.

Nascar is to motorsports what the special Olympics is to sports.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
there is something going on in Daytona this weekend
Not sure what but guy I work with is in the pits as part of so team and will bring me back some souvenirs
I’ll assess exactly what race it was at that time

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
Not sure what but guy I work with is in the pits as part of so team and will bring me back some souvenirs
dirt speedweeks is going on. super latemodels and woo sprints are getting down. dont know about nascar. ill watch the 500 and thats about it.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Fuck nascar. I miss the American V8 Supercar series from 10-15yrs or so ago. American V8 production based cars on road courses. Took my FIL & Son to the inaugural event at Laguna Seca. Great weekend of racing with the guys from Griggs, Maximum Motorsports & CorteX representing the Mustang crowd & plenty of GM support there as well. Had several other series running in Miata's, some prototype classes & a couple import classes. Open pits to interact with the teams & if you had an RV, $25 got you a full hookup campsite for the weekend at the park next door.

Nascar is to motorsports what the special Olympics is to sports.
I hate NASCAR's changes. The stages make zero sense to me. The playoffs even less sense. And I hate the teams where everyone is friendly. Fuck that. Trade some paint. And while we're at it, tear the restrictor plate off of these things and let them go as fast as they want. You got Bill-Eliott-sized-balls and want to turn a lap at 213 mph? - go for it bruh.

I'm not a huge NASCAR guy anymore. But it's still racing. I don't sit there and watch an entire race - but if I'm working around the house I'll have it on as background entertainment.

Racing is in my blood. If you paint up 2 snails and put numbers on their shells I'm going to pick my winner and watch.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
That's this race I mentioned. Last night's races were qualifiers - the big one is Sunday. That's the Daytona 500.

But they have racing down there all week.
Tonight is the Truch race.
Tomorrow afternoon is Arca and then tomorrow is xfinity (sort of like NASCAR minor leagues). Then Sunday is the big one.

It would be awesome working the pits at any of the events.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
dirt speedweeks is going on. super latemodels and woo sprints are getting down. dont know about nascar. ill watch the 500 and thats about it.
Love me some dirt racing. My favorite local track just sold so I don't even know if they're having events this year. Sucks.

I love sprint cars. I've attended a few of the Outlaw events. Unbelievably talented drivers.

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
Love me some dirt racing. My favorite local track just sold so I don't even know if they're having events this year. Sucks.

I love sprint cars. I've attended a few of the Outlaw events. Unbelievably talented drivers.
ive been around dirt all my life. my favorite are the imca mods. super latemodels and sprints i follow also. midgets and non wings are killer too.

my 16 y/o grandson got the bug last year so were hitting a few races this summer. were gonna go to kyle larsons new sprintcar series in june.

when i was younger we went to quite a few woo races. i seen steve kinser punch sammy swindell in the face after wrecking him.

what track was your favorite?

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I hate NASCAR's changes. The stages make zero sense to me. The playoffs even less sense. And I hate the teams where everyone is friendly. Fuck that. Trade some paint. And while we're at it, tear the restrictor plate off of these things and let them go as fast as they want. You got Bill-Eliott-sized-balls and want to turn a lap at 213 mph? - go for it bruh.

I'm not a huge NASCAR guy anymore. But it's still racing. I don't sit there and watch an entire race - but if I'm working around the house I'll have it on as background entertainment.

Racing is in my blood. If you paint up 2 snails and put numbers on their shells I'm going to pick my winner and watch.
Yeah I could never get into circle track racing. Family sponsored a world of outlaws & a 360 sprint car back in the 80’s & 90’s. Not my jam. When the cup cars would head to Sonoma, they’d have to widen the corners for them. When I saw John Griggs track his street legal (and CA smog legal) Mustang around the track several seconds faster than a cup car, I completely checked out of cup car/stock car racing.

That said, their contributions to carburetor, cylinder head & engine block advancements can’t be dismissed for the pushrod crowd. Now they’re FI & distributor-less so there went that.

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
i remember just loving the month of daytona. watching to see what body styles the teams would use and to see who found more horsepower over the winter. ford and chevy just battling it out. bill elliot dominating cuz they found something. ernie irvin just killing it out of nowhere. i remember the controversy with tim richmond before he died. those were great times. davey allison was my favorite. i went out and bought every davey allison piece of memorabila i could find.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
GO BIG RED!!! @GO BIG RED!!!

why the optimistic? I’m going to guess you’re referring to the Griggs reference. If you’re not familiar with Bruce & John Griggs I’d suggest looking into them. They constantly surprise people with what their mustangs(and other fords) can do. Not cheap but they do dominate AI & AIX for a reason.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
ive been around dirt all my life. my favorite are the imca mods. super latemodels and sprints i follow also. midgets and non wings are killer too.

my 16 y/o grandson got the bug last year so were hitting a few races this summer. were gonna go to kyle larsons new sprintcar series in june.

when i was younger we went to quite a few woo races. i seen steve kinser punch sammy swindell in the face after wrecking him.

what track was your favorite?
We have 2 here locally. Florence Speedway (KY) and Lawrenceburg Speedway (IN). Lawrenceburg (The Burg) has always been my spot. 3/8 mile dirt track. Usual schedule is sprints, hornets, pure stock and mods but they'll get usac and woo events in there annually. And they're usually a stop for the Indiana Sprint week which is just an awesome event.

Did some Googling. It looks like events are still on for this summer under new management so that's good news.

I've also been to Eldora a few times - but that's about a 2 hour drive so I don't get up there too often. Great track though.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yeah I could never get into circle track racing. Family sponsored a world of outlaws & a 360 sprint car back in the 80’s & 90’s. Not my jam. When the cup cars would head to Sonoma, they’d have to widen the corners for them. When I saw John Griggs track his street legal (and CA smog legal) Mustang around the track several seconds faster than a cup car, I completely checked out of cup car/stock car racing.
That feels a weird reason to dismiss a class. 2 different cars.

One was created to handle tight turns. The other is more focused on staight line aerodynamics.

NASCAR sucks on road courses. It's about as gimmicky as watching them race on dirt.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
That feels a weird reason to dismiss a class. 2 different cars.

One was created to handle tight turns. The other is more focused on staight line aerodynamics.

NASCAR sucks on road courses. It's about as gimmicky as watching them race on dirt.
They’re both circle tracks. I just can’t watch it. Don’t know why but even as a kid that type of racing just annoyed the hell out of me. Doesn’t matter if it’s Indy cars, cup cars or dirt tracks.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
They’re both circle tracks. I just can’t watch it. Don’t know why but even as a kid that type of racing just annoyed the hell out of me. Doesn’t matter if it’s Indy cars, cup cars or dirt tracks.
Fair enough.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016

Although I've never ridden one of these and entering senior geezerhood, I like me some bike racing-- especially the Isle of Man(Peter Hickman was baaad).