VID Ben Askren vs. Luis "Sapo" Santos

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

YammaYoMama

Mar 26, 2015
Seriously though, did Askren take any damage? I don't think he was punched clean in the face once. He did take a knee to body, but didn't appear to be anything special.

The throws certainly scored for Sapo, but he looked pretty uncomfortable out there otherwise and did absolutely nothing on the ground other than eat a few taps from Askren on the bottom.

I think we're used to seeing rapid fire shots from fighters in desperation, whereas Ben was using it to keep Sapo from establishing his striking game.

Askren has certainly shown that he can be taken down. What else we learned there I am not so sure.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
I find it very hard to believe that a 14-o fighter, particularly a guy like Askren, would be looking for a way to deliberately get out of a fight as big as that one was, after 2 minutes, regardless of what had happened up to that point. As many have stated on here, there were no really punishing blows which came from Santos, no damage sustained by Askren, and, though Santos had defended takedowns well up till then, there is absolutely no way of knowing whether he could have kept it up under the relentless type of pressure Askren applies. Lots of questions left from this one, which can only be answered with a rematch at the earliest possible date.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Thanks for the link zombieprophet! Unlike others, I'm not convinced Askren would have turned this thing around, man he looked sloppy. It's been said that Santos was looking for an out but I'm not convinced of that either, but I didn't get a real good look at the eye. I'd think he would be pissed after the way that first minute and a half was unfolding............he could have shot his stock through the roof had he kept it up and pulled it off. That may in fact have been a very costly eye poke for him!

nni

Jan 21, 2015
Ben was on his way to a loss there.
Disagree. Sapo was already gassing and Askren was just getting warmed up. I think Askren would finish Sapo by G&P in the 2nd or 3rd.

It did look like Askren took Sapo lightly and didn't respect him too much, which is crazy considering the guy's power.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
sorry to say, but interested in the next response from IWEI because this is severely criticizing his fighter.....again, no offence intended just interested observer who loves this site :)

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Too early in the fight to say anything about the outcome. No one was looking for an out. Accidents happen. Askren didn't look great, but that's his style.