Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Rye disappoints me more often than not.
I don’t disagree with you on that.
And I don’t mean to shit in this one. It really isn’t bad, but just kind of average and nothing stands out about it. I honestly think it would be better if they hadn’t knocked it all the way down to 80 proof. I like a little more meat with the potatoes.

I’ll definitely give it another go, sometimes my opinions change as I get further into a bottle.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don’t disagree with you on that.
And I don’t mean to shit in this one. It really isn’t bad, but just kind of average and nothing stands out about it. I honestly think it would be better if they hadn’t knocked it all the way down to 80 proof. I like a little more meat with the potatoes.

I’ll definitely give it another go, sometimes my opinions change as I get further into a bottle.
I just find rye lacking. Bourbon and rye are like coke and Pepsi. Pepsi is all sweet whereas coke has that burn!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I just find rye lacking. Bourbon and rye are like coke and Pepsi. Pepsi is all sweet whereas coke has that burn!
Willet is the first rye that got me excited, and for a while that was the only one I ever bought. I think that spoiled me because it’s really damn tasty. Compared to this one, the willet is a good bit darker and 108 proof - that’s more in my sweet spot. Some are just to thin.
The willet rye is hard to find now, so maybe I’m just trying to find the next thing. Haven’t found it yet.

although that midwinters night dram my bro got me is excellent. But that’s a higher end bottle and not a regular offering at the stores here.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Rye disappoints me more often than not.
You know, ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon this Dowling Bros is growing on me a bit. Just took it for another spin. It’s nothing to go crazy about, but pretty decent. I was sort of disappointed at the 80 proof because I’d like a little more depth to it. But it actually makes it really easy to drink. I still think this one would be pretty good in a cocktail, but I’m too lazy to make one tonight ?
maybe I’ll make an old fashioned later.

sometimes I feel like I need to get to know a bottle a bit before I can make a solid opinion statement.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You know, ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon this Dowling Bros is growing on me a bit. Just took it for another spin. It’s nothing to go crazy about, but pretty decent. I was sort of disappointed at the 80 proof because I’d like a little more depth to it. But it actually makes it really easy to drink. I still think this one would be pretty good in a cocktail, but I’m too lazy to make one tonight ?

sometimes I feel like I need to get to know a bottle a bit before I can make a solid opinion statement.
2 or 3 more and you will be giving it an A+ rating
Ur getting there

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
2 or 3 more and you will be giving it an A+ rating
Ur getting there
It does seem to work that way sometimes.
Although I’m still sober, just had a little sip in a whiskey glass (about a shot) and that’s all I’ve had so far. Sometimes things hit the palate different on another day. It’s hard for me to judge a bottle on the first impression. Much more fair after a few samples at different times.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It does seem to work that way sometimes.
Although I’m still sober, just had a little sip in a whiskey glass (about a shot) and that’s all I’ve had so far. Sometimes things hit the palate different on another day. It’s hard for me to judge a bottle on the first impression. Much more fair after a few samples at different times.
I agree

was just fucking with ya grateful

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Sweet vermouth is great for whiskeys you're not too fond of. 2 to 1 whiskey to vermouth. Couple blasts of bitters and you got a manhattan

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Going in to try another new rye later tonight. This one was highly recommended so thought I’d give it a go. It’s aged longer than the last one I tried, has much better color, and more heat (108) - so that’s a good start. I was told that just a touch of water really brings out the vanilla and spice...sounds good to me!

Review incoming later...
4FEE342E-7B22-4DCA-B577-23F523EBDF42.jpeg

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Picked this one up after work.
A little different.

It's a double barrel.
KY bourbon aged 3.5 years in charred American oak, then shipped to California where it spent 6 months in a Napa Cellars Chardonnay French oak barrel.

Ironically, it was then bottled and shipped back to KY where I bought it.

Only 86.8 proof. We'll see.

Will update when I try it.

20210219_162733.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
A little different.

It's a double barrel.
KY bourbon aged 3.5 years in charred American oak, then shipped to California where it spent 6 months in a Napa Cellars Chardonnay French oak barrel.

View attachment 28392
Never tried that one, let us know how it is!

guessing a little sweet?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
A little different.

It's a double barrel.

View attachment 28392
Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude

Review:
It's a bit hotter than I thought it would be. Maybe that's a factor of the 3.5 years aging. But it isn't overwhelmingly hot. It's a nice bite.

It's pretty solid. Not fruity at all like I feared - although there is some sweetness to it. Caramel? Butterscotch?
I don't know - I suck at reviewing bourbon.

It's good. And that's what matters.
I'd be interested to get someone else's take.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I just poured a tiny dab of Basil Hayden - which is pretty close at only 80 proof - just to compare the two.

Amador is definitely sweeter. But it doesn't taste like you're drinking a gimmicky bourbon (like Knob Creek's Smoked Maple which was way too sweet for my taste).

My review stands.
Hauler Approved.

Last edited:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So this new rye is pretty solid.

lots of cinnamon/spice and vanilla, and the right amount of bit at 108 proof. Good bite, but not harsh at all. Out of the last several ryes I’ve tried lately, this is the best one.

very enjoyable at first taste.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I got into this bottle tonight with my bro. He’s dealing with some shit right now, and as is customary for us, we’ll sit down with a bottle and talk some shit out until we get somewhere. Mission accomplished.

I have generally been a fairly tough critic of Texas bourbon, but this was actually pretty damn tasty and I would buy again. From what I understand, it is actually George Dickel juice (Tennessee) that they buy and then barrel for a short time and then bottle. So not crafted here, but slightly aged and then bottled here.

according to the bottle tag it won double gold at the San Francisco world spirits competition....whatever the fuck that is

anyway, thumbs up!
BFCCF5E4-4EDB-4053-8E93-77B205B2B158.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
And if anyone cares, Ben Milan is an iconic Texas figure. He was an early settler here when this land was still part of old Mexico. And he fought, and died, during the Texas Revolution at the Siege de Béxar (San Antonio) - which ultimately led to the Mexican Army surrendering.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I got into this bottle tonight with my bro. He’s dealing with some shit right now, and as is customary for us, we’ll sit down with a bottle and talk some shit out until we get somewhere. Mission accomplished.

I have generally been a fairly tough critic of Texas bourbon, but this was actually pretty damn tasty and I would buy again. From what I understand, it is actually George Dickel juice (Tennessee) that they buy and then barrel for a short time and then bottle. So not crafted here, but slightly aged and then bottled here.

according to the bottle tag it won double gold at the San Francisco world spirits competition....whatever the fuck that is

anyway, thumbs up!
View attachment 29094
Nothing wrong with George Dickel, it's no Jack but it's good shit

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Nothing wrong with George Dickel, it's no Jack but it's good shit
George Dickel is big enough that I don’t even know which juice this is they buy, but I’m general, they’ve been around long enough to know how to make decent whiskey. With this one, throw it in a fresh barrel and put it out in the texas climate for a bit, and this is what you get.

not the ideal story for me on how a bourbon was made, but regardless, this was pretty tasty. Didn’t have much alcohol bite to it at 86 proof, so easy drinking.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Working on a bottle of old forester. Think I've had it before, not sure, but it's decent for a lower priced 86 proof

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Working on a bottle of old forester. Think I've had it before, not sure, but it's decent for a lower priced 86 proof
OF is pretty solid for a regular shelf bottle. They have a fancy lineup of that cost a bit more, but are all really tasty. SuperPig @Willthiswork cam attest. I like the 1897 and Prohibition bottles they have, but that whole higher end line is pretty good.
Maybe see if you have those available.