Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I recently learned that bourbon is clear and the color is from the barrels it ages in.
Yep. The clear liquor they put into the barrel is sometimes referred to as “white dog”. Then the juice picks up color as it interacts with the barrel over time. Some distilleries sell their white dog. But I don’t find it all that pleasant and is kind of a novelty.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Yep. The clear liquor they put into the barrel is sometimes referred to as “white dog”. Then the juice picks up color as it interacts with the barrel over time. Some distilleries sell their white dog. But I don’t find it all that pleasant and is kind of a novelty.
You didn't know that. You Googled it after my informative post. You're a fraud.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
OF is pretty solid for a regular shelf bottle. They have a fancy lineup of that cost a bit more, but are all really tasty. SuperPig @Willthiswork cam attest. I like the 1897 and Prohibition bottles they have, but that whole higher end line is pretty good.
Maybe see if you have those available.
Availability is the the issue. Sometimes shops will get a shipment of this or that but usually fairly limited and always paying a premium

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Availability is the the issue. Sometimes shops will get a shipment of this or that but usually fairly limited and always paying a premium
I’ve told you northern boys before, but if it’s possible with customs or whatever, I’d be happy to send bottles in your direction. Note that I say that blindly, I have no idea what sort of costs are associated with customs or shipping to CAnada. But I’m willing to give it a go.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’ve told you northern boys before, but if it’s possible with customs or whatever, I’d be happy to send bottles in your direction. Note that I say that blindly, I have no idea what sort of costs are associated with customs or shipping to CAnada. But I’m willing to give it a go.
Maybe we'll have to do a whiskey swap or something. I'll send you a bottle of rye and you send me a bourbon

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I believe technically you’re not supposed to ship between states here, but people do it all the time. There is a pretty big black market for hard to find or fancy bottles and that’s all shipped. And liquor might be on the no-go list for the US Postal Service. Or at least they want you to declare it so they can charge you more. But if you use UPS or FedEx, it’s fine because they don’t ask. I’ve shipped maybe a dozen times within the US and never had a problem, but never tried crossing the border.

I shipped a fairly large box recently with multiple bottles to another state via FedEx and it was no problem. I assume it would have to go through Canadian customs, but how can they even check what it is? I mean, a guy I bike with orders PEDs from Russia or some shit like that haha. He doesn’t worry about it at all and it always arrives.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I believe technically you’re not supposed to ship between states here, but people do it all the time. There is a pretty big black market for hard to find or fancy bottles and that’s all shipped. And liquor might be on the no-go list for the US Postal Service. Or at least they want you to declare it so they can charge you more. But if you use UPS or FedEx, it’s fine because they don’t ask. I’ve shipped maybe a dozen times within the US and never had a problem, but never tried crossing the border.

I shipped a fairly large box recently with multiple bottles to another state via FedEx and it was no problem. I assume it would have to go through Canadian customs, but how can they even check what it is? I mean, a guy I bike with orders PEDs from Russia or some shit like that haha. He doesn’t worry about it at all and it always arrives.
Well I'd be willing to give it the ol college try. Have a hectic week coming up but send me a pm with address and price limit

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
BeardOfKnowledge @CMNHWishesHeWasVaccinated

found some white dog in my cabinet. This distillery opened a few years back and we bought some of this on the opening tour. As I understand it, they were burning money building the place and trying to actually get bourbon in a bottle.While they waited a couple of years for the bourbon to age, they started selling the white dog (or new make) to start bringing some cash in.

They had plain, and then a handful of flavored ones like this pepper one. I tried to like it, but I don’t. Very yeasty. My wife tried a variety of different cocktails and mixers, but nah.

They’ve got their bourbon out on the shelves now, but I haven’t tried it yet.
ECB93078-92D3-4844-877C-7804848DA70B.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So, I’m out to a nice restaurant where we’re at on our spring break vacation. Noticed they have Pappy 15 and Old Rip VW on their shelf. But they want $85 and $50 per shot, respectively.

For crying out loud...for what I’m about to pay for this dinner I’m not sure I can drink as I want lol

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So, I’m out to a nice restaurant where we’re at on our spring break vacation. Noticed they have Pappy 15 and Old Rip VW on their shelf. But they want $85 and $50 per shot, respectively.

For crying out loud...for what I’m about to pay for this dinner I’m not sure I can drink as I want lol
$50 a shot of rip? That's lunacy. Most I've seen was $50 for a shot of blue label, but that's like a $320 a bottle here. Seriously doubt there's a bottle of bourbon available for that price.

Talk about markup, hope you didn't shell out.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
$50 a shot of rip? That's lunacy. Most I've seen was $50 for a shot of blue label, but that's like a $320 a bottle here. Seriously doubt there's a bottle of bourbon available for that price.

Talk about markup, hope you didn't shell out.
I didn’t shell out tonight. I had a few cocktails and called it good. I was already paying for dinner for my family and also my brothers family. For us adults it was pricey with food plus drinks, so I didn’t want to go too crazy at the bar. And their drinks were overpriced in general. I got excited when I saw them, but I’m only on day two of vacation so I don’t want to blow all my monies out yet lol

SuperPig @Willthiswork gave me a red X rating, so I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m a giant pussy for not indulging myself tonight ?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Apparently a few stores in the province (none of them local) have Blanton's in stock. Guess I'll have to see if I can get a bottle ordered in tomorrow.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon

one of my earlier posts got fucked up (maybe it’s the cocktails hah)

but my birthday will be while we’re up here on vacation. I suspect my wife is taking me to the fancy whiskey bar that we just discovered here in town. So I may still get my chance to sip on some expensive stuff while I’m here ?

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon

one of my earlier posts got fucked up (maybe it’s the cocktails hah)

but my birthday will be while we’re up here on vacation. I suspect my wife is taking me to the fancy whiskey bar that we just discovered here in town. So I may still get my chance to sip on some expensive stuff while I’m here ?
Pick up a nice bottle for yourself!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
SuperPig @Willthiswork I thunk you’re the only one I know that has tried this bottle....the fancy whiskey bar here has Van Winkle Family Reserve 12-year Lot B. That’s been in my wish list for a long time. $50/shot