General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The antibiotics and malaria meds wouldn't do anything to makes things worse then?
I assume those are being given by docs.
Chronic lung disease so they gave him antibiotics in case he has a secondary infection like pneumonia. This is shotgun approach but the guy has a worsening case so they trial antibiotics to see if he gets better while they await cultures.
The antimalarial drug is probably plaquenil which has been reported in some case reports to be helpful and disease modulating the viral infection.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That will be standard across the west most likely. Italy is 2 weeks ahead or something.

It's not happening in S Korea. With same or less ICU beds.
Why?
They jumped off the same curve as the Italians with social distancing and broad testing.

There's nothing stopping other countries from doing the same.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I assume those are being given by docs.
Chronic lung disease so they gave him antibiotics in case he has a secondary infection like pneumonia. This is shotgun approach but the guy has a worsening case so they trial antibiotics to see if he gets better while they await cultures.
The antimalarial drug is probably plaquenil which has been reported in some case reports to be helpful and disease modulating the viral infection.
Ah ok. I think I've seen too many stories ot Americans taking whatever they can get their hands on to treat something rather than pay the doc costs that I assumed this was similar.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I think I've seen too many stories ot Americans taking whatever they can get their hands on to treat something rather than pay the doc costs that I assumed this was similar.
Your assumption would normally be spot on.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
COVID 19 Victims in Italy, over 80 and in poor health will be denied intensive care.

Some patients denied intensive care will in effect be left to die, doctors fear.
There simply aren't enough ICU beds in the world to deal with elderly patients who probably won't make it. Tearing up thinking about it as well.

Considering coming off some meds which are causing some pretty horrible tight chest issues. If/when I get this bastard virus my lungs should be in their best state and right now they're shot to fuck.

Sorry, ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon I fucked it up but I was quoting you

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

It's not happening in S Korea. With same or less ICU beds.
Why?
They jumped off the same curve as the Italians with social distancing and broad testing.

There's nothing stopping other countries from doing the same.
Broad testing is where the west is failing the most. Hard to know how to compare social distancing. Perhaps they are culturally quicker adapters or stricter adapters, whereas we in the west more like the Italians which are the opposite.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There simply aren't enough ICU beds in the world to deal with elderly patients who probably won't make it. Tearing up thinking about it as well.

Considering coming off some meds which are causing some pretty horrible tight chest issues. If/when I get this bastard virus my lungs should be in their best state and right now they're shot to fuck.

Sorry, ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon I fucked it up but I was quoting you
Yeah I caught that. Do what you gotta do.
Stay safe

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Broad testing is where the west is failing the most. Hard to know how to compare social distancing. Perhaps they are culturally quicker adapters or stricter adapters, whereas we in the west more like the Italians which are the opposite.

Well okay then negative Nancy. Let's go there. You guys are screwed then. We and the Germans are gonna roll over you on this one with our combo health systems and 5x ICU multipliers.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Well okay then negative Nancy. Let's go there. You guys are screwed then. We and the Germans are gonna roll over you on this one with our combo health systems and 5x ICU multipliers.
Yeah it could be brutal here, but you've also got 5x the population with many too poor to isolate or seek medical advice when the time comes.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yeah it could be brutal here, but you've also got 5x the population with many too poor to isolate or seek medical advice when the time comes.

That's a per capita bed chart.
Well be fine on this front.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
That's a per capita bed chart.
Well be fine on this front.
That assumes you keep it contained with social distancing. Which we all hope you do, but due to being the weakest on worker protections in the west then it seems likely that there will be a large amount of people not involved in that. Lets hope you do as good a job as Italy then, since you have the beds. We're fucked though.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That assumes you keep it contained with social distancing. Which we all hope you do, but due to being the weakest on worker protections in the west then it seems likely that there will be a large amount of people not involved in that. Lets hope you do as good a job as Italy then, since you have the beds. We're fucked though.

Sounds good to me

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Well fellas, it’s been a good run. My career as an airline pilot is probably ending due to this coronavirus. It’s not looking good. We went from a huge pilot shortage, to looking like furloughs. Nothings announced yet, but the writing’s on the wall. I still have my CDL that I haven’t used in 20 years. I think that’s my next move. Huge pay cut, less family time. Fuck.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Well fellas, it’s been a good run. My career as an airline pilot is probably ending due to this coronavirus. It’s not looking good. We went from a huge pilot shortage, to looking like furloughs. Nothings announced yet, but the writing’s on the wall. I still have my CDL that I haven’t used in 20 years. I think that’s my next move. Huge pay cut, less family time. Fuck.
They don't anticipate bringing you back on? Look at the peak and recovery time for existing countries. This is measured in months for the world, not years. Whats the big pic? Anticipating a longer scare and slow recovery???

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Keep checking in, fella. My other half got laid off on Monday so we're in a bit of a mess too. Probably going to be worse before it's better, matey.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Texas polling how many virus testing medium
kits I have. This is a strange way to go about this as most doctors won't know. This is an admin question on stock. Most docs won't even have the ability to find this out.