General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
does your state stick out as far as population or political preference?
It's not a state problem, it's a city problem. There's no corona outside Melbourne. Does Melbourne stick out from every Australian city other than Sydney? Of course, because it is way bigger. But does it stick out from Sydney in population demographics? No.

Sydney (New South Wales) has a centre-right government while we have centre-left. And our government fucked up real bad, but so did theirs at times too. Both of these populations are similar enough in general political demographics though.

The main problem causing the spread is climate. We became the 'Swine flu capital of the world' too. Weather here is famously spastic. It's the perfect vehicle for spreading viruses and we are smack bang in the middle of virus season.

We have no chance of containing the spread without lockdowns. There's basically no major population centre in the world which is more fucked than us when it comes to current climate conditions for rona.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Also, Melbourne shows why the US is so fucked. To get a spike like this in Summer is ridiculous. Watch what will happen to you if corona is still around come flu season - to be fair you might have already hit herd immunity by then the way things are going.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Weather here is famously spastic. It's the perfect vehicle for spreading viruses and we are smack bang in the middle of virus season.
Have read some "experts" that say herd immunity is a much lower percent of the population than previously forecasted

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Have read some "experts" that say herd immunity is a much lower percent of the population than previously forecasted
It seems to have some merit. I would have thought the US would be seeing some second spikes in New York/Jersey just like the rest of the country. But numbers are declining or holding steady.

It's likely they have closed in on that 15-20% population infected mark.

But my guess is it is just herd 'immunity' from significant outbreaks. It won't be enough for eradication and there will still be enough carriers to cause localised outbreaks for some time.

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
State. The rest of Australia has no rona.

Sorry to hear.

But the way this is going, don't be surprised if /when we join you and beat your record soon, because ...... AMERICA FIRST!

Namaste

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Then correct them if you want to discuss their inaccuracy.
That is discussion. If you don't want to discuss with that person you can not respond, or put them on ignore list.

Instead of discussion about the data and it's skew...you chose to attack the messenger.

I am all for a discussion board.
I am all for ignore lists...plenty of people post wack content, and what is wack is completely subjective.
Just to put my 2c in there.. I think people still trying to engage with you like the beard tried here, is because they see more in you than just a spam bot for shit. They actually do respect you and value your opinion and input.

I have to say tho, for all the time you advocate to look at everything, take all of it in, and then make up your mind, all the things you post seems quite one-sided.
Also that tactic of posting something and if anybody questions it telling em to search for themselves is simply asinine in a discussion board.
The last tweet that you posted that I quoted you didn't even bother to answer either. I suppose because you knew it was bullshit and didn't want to argue for it, no blame there.

But still dude, don't devolve into a spambot for misinformation. You are better than this and we know it.

M

member 3289

It's not a state problem, it's a city problem. There's no corona outside Melbourne. Does Melbourne stick out from every Australian city other than Sydney? Of course, because it is way bigger. But does it stick out from Sydney in population demographics? No.

Sydney (New South Wales) has a centre-right government while we have centre-left. And our government fucked up real bad, but so did theirs at times too. Both of these populations are similar enough in general political demographics though.

The main problem causing the spread is climate. We became the 'Swine flu capital of the world' too. Weather here is famously spastic. It's the perfect vehicle for spreading viruses and we are smack bang in the middle of virus season.

We have no chance of containing the spread without lockdowns. There's basically no major population centre in the world which is more fucked than us when it comes to current climate conditions for rona.
What's the average low temperature in Melbourne right now?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
It seems to have some merit. I would have thought the US would be seeing some second spikes in New York/Jersey just like the rest of the country. But numbers are declining or holding steady.

It's likely they have closed in on that 15-20% population infected mark.

But my guess is it is just herd 'immunity' from significant outbreaks. It won't be enough for eradication and there will still be enough carriers to cause localised outbreaks for some time.
We just went into the next phase of our reopening in NY I think July 1. We've also had some rain. Would wait a few more days to see fallout from beaches and july 4.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
What's the average low temperature in Melbourne right now?
In July it goes low 6 and high 13.5 Celsius. Not cold by international standards, but the coldest major city on the Australian mainland. The issue is not that it is cold by international standards, the issue is that there are various factors that make the weather extremely erratic. 'Four seasons in one day' is the saying about the city. The constantly shifting patterns seem to provide a playground for viruses. I'm not sure exactly why, but its probably a combination of the particularly erratic climate and thus the erratic patterns of human behavior it causes.

I'm sure there are other cities like it in the Southern Hemisphere, but I'm not sure which ones. But I have been saying in this thread long before the second wave that we would be particularly screwed in comparison to other Australian cities come winter, and I was right.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
They aren't the most civilized people.
There are those and those as in every country I suppose. But their government seems to shit the bed.

From what I heard they have problems because their economy was tightly interwoven with Syria, and of course that fell somewhat flat, now Corona came as well.
And the Hisbollah doesn't want to deal with the IMF which could relieve the pressure.
People try to buy luxury items like crazy as investment cause tomorrow their money will be worth even less, while the poor can't pay rent and have trouble paying for food. Could be explosive.

I might not be very well informed tho.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There are those and those as in every country I suppose. But their government seems to shit the bed.

From what I heard they have problems because their economy was tightly interwoven with Syria, and of course that fell somewhat flat, now Corona came as well.
And the Hisbollah doesn't want to deal with the IMF which could relieve the pressure.
People try to buy luxury items like crazy as investment cause tomorrow their money will be worth even less, while the poor can't pay rent and have trouble paying for food. Could be explosive.

We should both look into it further.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Say what now??
When health authorities said we shouldn't wear masks you said they didn't know what they were talking about. Now that they're saying we should you're saying they're right. It's that thing you were talking about where people look for things that support what they want to do.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The historical inaccuracy of that shirt is offensive. The US did not challenge the UK for global hegemony until after WW1, didn't become the full hegemon of the capitalist world until after Bretton Woods in 1944 and has only really fully 'ran' the world since 1991 with the collapse of the Soviet Union. I expect better from T-Shirts.
When we shot the British in the face, and won, we said fuck their globalist agenda.

M

member 3289

We're gonna break the daily record this week

An additional 7,347 people have been infected by the coronavirus in Florida, according to data released Tuesday — marking the second straight day that infections were under 10,000 cases during decreased testing coming off the holiday weekend.

Despite this, the positive test rate from Monday to Tuesday was nearly 20.8% — an increase from yesterday’s rate of 18.7%. According to experts, this is a sign that the virus’ spread is continuing at a rapid pace

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
When we shot the British in the face, and won, we said fuck their globalist agenda.
It didn't mean you immediately ran the world, mete.

Otherwise Vietnam would have been the global hegemon after they shot you (us) in the face and said fuck your globalist agenda.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It didn't mean you immediately ran the world, mete.

Otherwise Vietnam would have been the global hegemon after they shot you (us) in the face and said fuck your globalist agenda.
They certainly did do that.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

This is somewhat in the right direction, but contains a few misstatements or oversimplifications.

The government in Lebanon has been systematically failing its people and has been mired in corruption, this is true, but part of the reason for this is because they've been caught in a tug of war between Saudi Arabia, Iran and Western powers like many countries in the region. Following widespread protests, there was a change in the government last year, but the new government wasn't able or willing to make more serious economic reforms (namely reforms to the banking sector that would have spread money more evenly through the economy rather than concentrating it in the hands of the upper classes). The local currency had already been collapsing as a result, but then when COVID hit, widespread unemployment and resource shortages sent everything into a nosedive.

Compounding this, the US recently announced sanctions broadly targeting anyone who has any connections to the Syrian regime. Because of the interconnected nature of Hezb in Syria and Lebanon, this meant the sanctions could apply to much of the Lebanese economy as well. This puts the government in the position to either oust Hezb, which they lack the power to do since they make up a considerable portion of the elected parliament, or divest from their Syrian interests, which is economically not possible. Add to this the US and Europe exerting their influence to craft austerity and divestment conditions in an IMF package and basically you have elites and Western powers conspiring to bring about a failed state so they can pick the winners they like as we've seen so so many times around the world before.

Right now a loaf of bread is basically thousands of Lebanese dollars. Food is scarce, people have taken to commiting suicide and sectarian tensions are simmering just beneath. An IMF intervention will probably stave off some of the trouble, but revolution or civil war is looking likely.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
When health authorities said we shouldn't wear masks you said they didn't know what they were talking about. Now that they're saying we should you're saying they're right. It's that thing you were talking about where people look for things that support what they want to do.
No, they still can't be trusted. I wear a mask -even though not as frequent- regardless of what they say. I'll go for scientific evidence, not taylored "evidence" that comes from the WHO or CDC.