Has anyone been competing/getting ready to compete soon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Gotta love Masters division.... I'm doing Master 3 at the BJJ Tour next month.... La Paix @Kelly Master divisions start at 30 (IBJJF Events go from Masters 1-6)... Some tournaments do Masters 30-39, then Executive 40-49

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Just signed up for a tournament on the 26th of February. 70 kg. I'm a bit undersized for this weight class but I should be okay.

M

member 603

Just signed up for a tournament on the 26th of February. 70 kg. I'm a bit undersized for this weight class but I should be okay.
Just remember to breathe and relax, be cautiously aggressive, and above all have fun .... Please post pics and let us know how the training is going.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Just remember to breathe and relax, be cautiously aggressive, and above all have fun .... Please post pics and let us know how the training is going.
I will takes pics definitely as proof that I actually went lol. I'm pretty sure someone will be recording our matches too.

There's about 30 people from our school going so it's quite a big competition for us. I'm not expecting to medal or anything.

Come tournament time I might just be a one stripe white belt with two months training. I'm gonna be up against bigger and experienced white belts for sure so I think ima get smashed here tbh lol

M

member 603

I will takes pics definitely as proof that I actually went lol. I'm pretty sure someone will be recording our matches too.

There's about 30 people from our school going so it's quite a big competition for us. I'm not expecting to medal or anything.

Come tournament time I might just be a one stripe white belt with two months training. I'm gonna be up against bigger and experienced white belts for sure so I think ima get smashed here tbh lol
Come on now, haven't you heard of the power of positive thinking? Don't put bad energy on yourself.... Besides, it's all a learning experience, have fun with it

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Come on now, haven't you heard of the power of positive thinking? Don't put bad energy on yourself.... Besides, it's all a learning experience, have fun with it

I know I know but just trying to be realistic here.

As long as I don't get completely smashed and do okay I'll take that as a w for me.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I know I know but just trying to be realistic here.

As long as I don't get completely smashed and do okay I'll take that as a w for me.
I would argue that you won just by signing up. IMO- the benifit of competing for those of us that are never going to be world class competitors is the way having a competition coming up motivates us. I train better, eat better, and maintain my weight better knowing I have a competition coming. Then the competition shows you what you are doing well and what needs work, I spend the next month or so focusing on weaknesses; then the next tournament comes- rinse and repeat. I am convinced I am a much better grappler than I would be if I never competed.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Pretty disgusted with myself today. Lost my first match by armbar with a few second left after being stuck in bad positions playing defense all match. Not a very impressive performance. Back to training Monday to get prepared for the next one.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Pretty disgusted with myself today. Lost my first match by armbar with a few second left after being stuck in bad positions playing defense all match. Not a very impressive performance. Back to training Monday to get prepared for the next one.
Everyone has shitty days. Did you only get to have one match?

M

member 603

Hold your head up high, you got out there and competed.... I remember losing a match as a purple belt, I was up 12-2 on this guy, was cross side, he scrambled and hipped out to recover guard, my head was low, he shot a perfect cross choke that had me tapping with 9 seconds left.

Point is there's always a chance to pull off a victory, and I learned a lot.... Today may not have been your day, but you're a warrior that did what many shit talkers didn't

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
^ thanks. I think one of my teammates has a video. If so, I will post it here later. I was down 8-0 and lost by armbar with a few second left. Will try again at the Spring Open. Lots of time to work between now and then.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Will watch when I get home. Don't want to kill off my mobile data

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
On the plus side, Carlos Machado just called me to talk about the match and things to work on.

M

member 603

Awesome training session today.... I got my ass kicked.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
What's the most effective way you to escape or improve my position when someone switches Base. Should I push on his tricep and and snake out?

M

member 603

Please do tell
Bigger heavier guys with crushing top pressure, strong as a heard of oxen just powering past my guard at a high pace for multiple rounds...... It left me in a mostly defense, reactionary state.

You have to accept losing and work out of the shittiest positions just to get better.... I know what I can do when I'm top position, pushing the pace, the proverbial hammer, but knowing how to survive as the nail is just as (if not more so) important.

M

member 603

Best feeling is... I get to do it all over again in about an hour

M

member 603

Well I'm 5 days out.... Feeling good physically, then I get this stupid chest cold I picked up coaching over the weekend (dirty ass sick people).... I'm almost through it, but damn, I hate this shit..... Hey, I've never gone into a tournament feeling 100%, no sense starting now LOL

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Well I'm 5 days out.... Feeling good physically, then I get this stupid chest cold I picked up coaching over the weekend (dirty ass sick people).... I'm almost through it, but damn, I hate this shit..... Hey, I've never gone into a tournament feeling 100%, no sense starting now LOL
I promise you if you eat half kilo of yogurt everyday , you will never have a chest infection ever ever ever in your life .