Has anyone been competing/getting ready to compete soon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
Well shit, was up 5-0 after a single leg and guard pass. With a minute left he shrimped hard from half guard and some how I ended in turtle. He very quickly jumped to my back and got hooks. Tried to fight it off and as I worked to get up a little more, he slipped the choke.

My takedown and closed/half guard was on point, but I gotta move faster from turtle.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Great work getting out there. The biggest benefit of competing for me is seeing what my holes are, and getting motivated to work on patching them up. I am convinced that I am a much better grappler than I would be if I never competed. In the words of philosopher M. Mathers: "It's back to the lab again".

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
Great work getting out there. The biggest benefit of competing for me is seeing what my holes are, and getting motivated to work on patching them up. I am convinced that I am a much better grappler than I would be if I never competed. In the words of philosopher M. Mathers: "It's back to the lab again".
Yeah, it really is amazing how those holes get exposed. Never been more motivated to train than after a competition.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Consolation second at the IBJJF Atlanta Open today. The bracket shrunk due to no-shoes, so there was only one match. I got the take down with a throw, and settled into half guard. I made the mistake of not addressing an underhook that I thought felt weak, and wound up getting swept and subsequently choked.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I dropped down an age bracket and won gold at the European Masters today :)

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Signed up for the British open next Friday. There's 25 guys in my division so I have a lot of work to do if I want to reach the podium. Probably won't but I just want to get back on the mats again

This will be my third competition in my 5 months of doing bjj!

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Consolation second at the IBJJF Atlanta Open today. The bracket shrunk due to no-shoes, so there was only one match. I got the take down with a throw, and settled into half guard. I made the mistake of not addressing an underhook that I thought felt weak, and wound up getting swept and subsequently choked.

My professor always teaches to reset if you give up that Underhook in half guard "It's only going to get worse" as he would say. Without trying to sound cliche. You either win or you learn as you already well know.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Won first fight 10-0 second fight was tied advantage 1-1 ref gave it to other guy. My second opponent went through to the second round without having a first fight so he was more fresh than me but I should have still won. Feeling sad :( I'll post the videos when I get them

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Never, ever, ever sleep on the underhook. Lol

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Today the CBJJF is putting on the Canadian Western Championships 30 minutes from my place in Penticton BC.

Western Canadian Championship

This will be my kids second tournament so I'm hoping it'll go much better than the last. Their first one was in March IIRC and I think they were both overwhelmed with all the sites and sounds once they got in. They both have improved so much from then so I'm hoping for some great battles.

Will try to post some pictures today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Kids did amazing. Their first tourney was in March and it was quite a bit for them to process I think, mental pressure cooker for a 6&8 year old. This time they did amazing. Daughter got bronze and son took silver in the end, so proud.

M

member 603

Kids did amazing. Their first tourney was in March and it was quite a bit for them to process I think, mental pressure cooker for a 6&8 year old. This time they did amazing. Daughter got bronze and son took silver in the end, so proud.

Congratulations to your kids, that's awesome.... At that age it's always nerve racking

M

member 603

I took a small group from my team (only 6 of 22 competitors.... Damn summer vacations) to Jacksonville yesterday for NAGA.... Every kid placed.... Final count was 7 Golds, 4 Silvers, 2 Bronze.... I am super proud of them.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
it's been a while since I've competed now. Looking at September/October hopefully.

Leigh @Leigh

You going to British open in October?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Went 1-1 at Masters Worlds today- not quite good enough in a 41 man bracket. Won my first match 5-0, then lost my second match 4-0 after getting swept with a spider sweep with 1:00 left and gave up KOB trying to create a scramble with short time.