Has anyone been competing/getting ready to compete soon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015

Won gold at the D.C. Open. Not bad for my first IBJJF tourney. Easy day as my old man bracket shrunk to just 2 people. Went in with a few injuries so I didn't try anything fancy. Shot a single, switched to a double, & got the takedown. Landed in top half, & smash passed to side control. Tried fishing for the Kimura, but he did a great job defending, so I just tried to rack up points & advantages attacking from top. Pitched a shut out. I think it ended 10-0. I forgot to look at the score. Nobody else signed up for the open division, so I didn't either. Can't wait for the next one.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Went 1-1 at Masters Worlds today- not quite good enough in a 41 man bracket. Won my first match 5-0, then lost my second match 4-0 after getting swept with a spider sweep with 1:00 left and gave up KOB trying to create a scramble with short time.
Couldn't make it this year. Hopefully I can get there for the next one. Congrats on competing.

M

member 603

Won gold at the D.C. Open. Not bad for my first IBJJF tourney. Easy day as my old man bracket shrunk to just 2 people. Went in with a few injuries so I didn't try anything fancy. Shot a single, switched to a double, & got the takedown. Landed in top half, & smash passed to side control. Tried fishing for the Kimura, but he did a great job defending, so I just tried to rack up points & advantages attacking from top. Pitched a shut out. I think it ended 10-0. I forgot to look at the score. Nobody else signed up for the open division, so I didn't either. Can't wait for the next one.

Congratulations

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I pulled the dreaded one and done in the gi division at the Atlanta Open yesterday, and then won my qualifier today in no-gi and then lost in the semifinals to take third.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
I’ve been chasing that IBJJF gold medal for a few years and finally grabbed one today against a former Pan Am champ. Decided to try Absolute (open weight class) for the first time too. Snuck a bronze out of that one. I'm the featherweight at the far right.

This was all masters 3 and I turned 45 a few weeks ago, so masters 4 may be my come up at Worlds! Or not, I just wanna go to Vegas. LOL

M

member 603

I’ve been chasing that IBJJF gold medal for a few years and finally grabbed one today against a former Pan Am champ. Decided to try Absolute (open weight class) for the first time too. Snuck a bronze out of that one. I'm the featherweight at the far right.

This was all masters 3 and I turned 45 a few weeks ago, so masters 4 may be my come up at Worlds! Or not, I just wanna go to Vegas. LOL

That is awesome, Congrats

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

Great work- congratulations!

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Won 4 matches in a tough under 70 kg division today and took my first gold.

All my matches were basically me pulling to open guard and switching from Dlr, Collar sleeve, spider hybrid and generally just annoying everyone with my grips and long legs. Tried to hit a few berimbolo. I even managed to pull off a rolleta sweep

I think you guys will be impressed with the footage. Just waiting for professor to put it on the laptop then I'll post it here.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017

All my matches were basically me pulling to open guard and switching from Dlr, Collar sleeve, spider hybrid and generally just annoying everyone with my grips and long legs. Tried to hit a few berimbolo. I even managed to pull off a rolleta sweep

I think you guys will be impressed with the footage. Just waiting for professor to put it on the laptop then I'll post it here.
Man, that is awesome as a white belt. Great job!

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

Good work!

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

Took first in my No-Gi advanced division at the Newbreed in Columbia, SC today. I beat the third place guy by armbar and second place guy by toehold. This was my first Advanced/Expert no-gi gold since getting Purple; I have been chasing one of these belts for a while now.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

Took first in my No-Gi advanced division at the Newbreed in Columbia, SC today. I beat the third place guy by armbar and second place guy by toehold. This was my first Advanced/Expert no-gi gold since getting Purple; I have been chasing one of these belts for a while now.

Congrats! cool looking belt too

M

member 603

Congratulations Doc, that is awesome... Personally I'm not a fan of that tournament owner, but I'm glad you went out there and got that belt

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
You compete a lot lol
Yeah, I try to compete every chance I get. My hometown is halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte, so there are lots of tournaments to choose from. I think that competing has been really important in my improvement. It shows holes to work on, and having a competition coming up keeps me training harder than I think I would if I did not compete.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah, I try to compete every chance I get. My hometown is halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte, so there are lots of tournaments to choose from. I think that competing has been really important in my improvement. It shows holes to work on, and having a competition coming up keeps me training harder than I think I would if I did not compete.
Defintley. Leading up to a comp I'm training with more of a purpose and intensity, working on my A game, B game and rest of my weaknesses. Without comps lined up I feel my training can become lazy at times

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I won the Masters Nationals a few weeks ago. I had to fight everyone in the division, fresh.

M

member 603

I have events Jan 27th and Feb 10th I'm gearing up for... Gotta start 2018 with a bang

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Signed up for the British open no gi for dec 10th. Would love to end the year with another gold, It's a pretty big competition and I'm not that great in no gi but I feel like I can still win my division.

Going to do a lot more wrestling over the next few weeks