Henry Cejudo Argues Why Demetrious Johnson Should Not Get A Rematch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I don't have a problem with making MM win a fight before he gets his rematch. There is no reason to rush right back to a rematch.
If MM isn't the a P4P GOAT fighter, then that means that the division is ridiculously thin.

UFC isn't making a good business decision if MM's next fight isn't for the belt. He might be on the sideline long enough for Henry to fight someone else, but making MM fight anybody else (unless it's a tune-up fight outside the Top 5) is crazy.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If MM isn't the a P4P GOAT fighter, then that means that the division is ridiculously thin.

UFC isn't making a good business decision if MM's next fight isn't for the belt. He might be on the sideline long enough for Henry to fight someone else, but making MM fight anybody else (unless it's a tune-up fight outside the Top 5) is crazy.
I have to respectfully disagree. People don't want to see MM fight. Why rush him back when there are other options to stir up the division.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I have to respectfully disagree. People don't want to see MM fight. Why rush him back when there are other options to stir up the division.
Do people want to see Cejudo fight?

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Do people want to see Cejudo fight?
I think people wanted to see the division stirred up and Cejudo represents change. At least for those people that care about tiny little men fighting. For the most part they could drop the division entirely and I doubt there would be much complaint. I know I wouldn't care and never really wanted to see MM fight.

If DJ is as injured as he suspected then he may benefit from a tune-up fight, however he shouldn't have to i.e. he is definitely warranted a rematch should he decide he wants one.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I think people wanted to see the division stirred up and Cejudo represents change. At least for those people that care about tiny little men fighting. For the most part they could drop the division entirely and I doubt there would be much complaint. I know I wouldn't care and never really wanted to see MM fight.
Henry is 100 times more boring than MM and I don't like MM...

Also, the idea of sidelining this entire men's division with some of the most talented guys around, while holding WMMA fights is preposterous. Some of the greatest boxers of the past 2 decades fought in small divisions yet so many MMA fans have a problem with "midgets". It is insane.

One thing they could do is stop assigning gigantic refs like McCarthy, Herb and Big Dan to these fights so they won't diminish the fighters...

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Immediate rematches are killing anticipation. Imagine if Cody had gone back to knocking out people, showed some growth through being a more patient fighter, and TJ was still doing his thing.

That’d be a lot more worthy of discussion and talking points. Ya know, discuss it like its a sport. Not just going off their last fight. Thats why I hate rematches.

Now in this case, same applies. I just saw MM vs Cejudo in a close fight. Close fight doesn’t =Immediate rematch. Sometimes a close fight is what happens. Wanna see where MM goes from here.

Side note, MM didnt exactly do anything either in that fight to warrant an immediate rematch, such as Shogun did vs Machida 1.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Immediate rematches are killing anticipation. Imagine if Cody had gone back to knocking out people, showed some growth through being a more patient fighter, and TJ was still doing his thing.

That’d be a lot more worthy of discussion and talking points. Ya know, discuss it like its a sport. Not just going off their last fight. Thats why I hate rematches.

Now in this case, same applies. I just saw MM vs Cejudo in a close fight. Close fight doesn’t =Immediate rematch. Sometimes a close fight is what happens. Wanna see where MM goes from here.

Side note, MM didnt exactly do anything either in that fight to warrant an immediate rematch, such as Shogun did vs Machida 1.
Eh. Cody got KTFO in that fight but almost KO'd TJ so it makes sense for a rematch imo. Henry did nothing but take MM down and lay on him. Even when the UFC put together the highlight reel for YT of Henry, it was literally the same take down over and over again... All MM needs to do is be aware of his own left foot getting tripped by Henry during the take down and I bet he KO's him in a rematch...

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Eh. Cody got KTFO in that fight but almost KO'd TJ so it makes sense for a rematch imo. Henry did nothing but take MM down and lay on him. Even when the UFC put together the highlight reel for YT of Henry, it was literally the same take down over and over again... All MM needs to do is be aware of his own left foot getting tripped by Henry during the take down and I bet he KO's him in a rematch...
With that logic all close fights should be rematches. Pat Barry was messing Kongo up before he landed an uppercut from hell.

I respect your opinion, but have to acknowledge that just because a fight is close, doesn’t mean it should be a rematch. And peope do talk about how Cejudo took down MM and did nothing, yet no one mentions what MM did at all

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Enough with the rematches.
I typically agree with this, but he won as close of a split decision that exists, and it was against the guy who has beat more contenders in a row than any champ in history. This is the prototypical immediate rematch situation, imo. I don't even really think Joanna should have gotten one, and I am a major JJ nuthugger. Mouse deserves it.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Sorry Henry but you don't have a money fight to run off to in the division. It's you, Mighty Mouse, and a division full of B-fighters.

So unless you're planning on leaving the division behind, you're going to have to fight MM.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I typically agree with this, but he won as close of a split decision that exists, and it was against the guy who has beat more contenders in a row than any champ in history. This is the prototypical immediate rematch situation, imo. I don't even really think Joanna should have gotten one, and I am a major JJ nuthugger. Mouse deserves it.
You think all split decisions should get a rematch? For example, should there than be a sixth round if this is going to be the case? Do you think a split decision is a legitimate win?

Didn't Mouse get a split decision win over Benavidez? And did Benavidez get an immeidate rematch?

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
This discussion has hame valid arguments on both sides, right?
here are 3 opinions without reason or logic, purely opinion:

I personally (and simply emotionally without logic or reasons) would say:
-> I simply don't want to watch it.

I would also add:
Instant rematches always turn me off. Always. Except for Shogun Machida. or sth like Bonnar x Soschinzki where the first match was a no contest and had no conclusion.

Also: I never understand why they don't give the ex champ 1 or 2 fights before the rematch. Like let BJ Penn rip through 1 or 2 guys in the most brutal fashion before the Edgar rematch but promote the ex champ on the way back up.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
With that logic all close fights should be rematches. Pat Barry was messing Kongo up before he landed an uppercut from hell.

I respect your opinion, but have to acknowledge that just because a fight is close, doesn’t mean it should be a rematch. And peope do talk about how Cejudo took down MM and did nothing, yet no one mentions what MM did at all
I actually do feel close fights should have rematches. I hate spit decisions or close unanimous decisions being the final word when it can have such a huge impact on a fighter's career (+ or -) and the fight was basically a draw...

M

member 3289

Cody was the biggest fight for TJ in terms of PPV buys. It ended up being a smart move, as the event garnered at least 300k buys, 1.5x what the highest estimates were.

Mighty Mouse deserves a rematch because he went nearly 6 years without losing that belt and because a lot of people (me included) thought he won the fight.

If MM doesn't get an immediate rematch then the entire system is fucked.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You think all split decisions should get a rematch? For example, should there than be a sixth round if this is going to be the case? Do you think a split decision is a legitimate win?

Didn't Mouse get a split decision win over Benavidez? And did Benavidez get an immeidate rematch?
I actually believe there should be no split decisions and you can't win unless it is a unanimous decision. I also think there should be 5 judges...

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Cody was the biggest fight for TJ in terms of PPV buys. It ended up being a smart move, as the event garnered at least 300k buys, 1.5x what the highest estimates were.

Mighty Mouse deserves a rematch because he went nearly 6 years without losing that belt and because a lot of people (me included) thought he won the fight.

If MM doesn't get an immediate rematch then the entire system is fucked.
MM is claiming a broken foot and ligament damage should Cejudo have to wait 9 months to a year to fight again?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
MM wasn't much of a draw, and now that he isn't champ, they could just move on instead of a rematch. A fresh face with the belt, is probably what they've been waiting for in this stale, somewhat boring, and shallow division.