General North Texas is getting lake effect snow.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
None of this information is relevant or productive.
We all know why you don't own a chainsaw.

View: https://gfycat.com/blissfulinsecurehuman
That clip there illustrates perfectly why an untrained homeowner shouldn’t have a chainsaw. Kickback can kill you and that saw would’ve ripped that dudes face off if it didn’t hit the roof.

I realize that you’re fucking with me but chainsaws and tree felling is no joke.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I have my arborist license, cut down trees on the regular at work and do not own a chainsaw.

Chainsaws are overkill (and downright dangerous for people with no training) for a regular residential homeowner.
So you’re saying if I send you a few pics of trees in my yard you’ll hook up some trimming advice ;)

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
So you’re saying if I send you a few pics of trees in my yard you’ll hook up some trimming advice ;)
If you give me enough pictures I could give you advice on how to prune them properly.

The most important things that you need to know are:

5B80D8C4-60C4-46DE-B044-DA2D75B9F10E.png

this will ensure that the bark doesn’t tear when you are making your cuts.

08696E0F-E1BD-4A5C-8771-5F0FD330E348.jpeg

you should never cut into the branch collar on a tree limb. It will drastically reduce the ability of the tree to heal the wound.

95453C7F-DDA0-4ACB-9089-E42579AB5C71.jpeg

you should have a basic understanding of CODIT before pruning anything on your (or anyone else’s) property.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I have my arborist license, cut down trees on the regular at work and do not own a chainsaw.

Chainsaws are overkill (and downright dangerous for people with no training) for a regular residential homeowner.
Agreed. I've never turned one on. I feel like I would doze out and reach my hand over to try skimmin it. Just the tip. Then my hand would be ripped into pieces lol. Ew. Yeah no way. I'll stick to battle axes

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Agreed. I've never turned one on. I feel like I would doze out and reach my hand over to try skimmin it. Just the tip. Then my hand would be ripped into pieces lol. Ew. Yeah no way. I'll stick to battle axes
From what you’ve stated in your post I agree that you should stay far away from a chainsaw.

Also, you shouldn’t try to fell a tree with a battle axe. Battle axes are made to cut through flesh and bone. They are sharp and slim so they can slice cleanly through your enemy. A wood axe is weighted much differently.

Using a battle axe to cut down a tree would be akin to using a sword, it could be done but would be ridiculously hard.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
From what you’ve stated in your post I agree that you should stay far away from a chainsaw.

Also, you shouldn’t try to fell a tree with a battle axe. Battle axes are made to cut through flesh and bone. They are sharp and slim so they can slice cleanly through your enemy. A wood axe is weighted much differently.

Using a battle axe to cut down a tree would be akin to using a sword, it could be done but would be ridiculously hard.
I agree chainsaws are dangerous and I have no training. I will take the information you given here to heart and read it. Can you recommend any chainsaw training?

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
If you give me enough pictures I could give you advice on how to prune them properly.

The most important things that you need to know are:

View attachment 28428

this will ensure that the bark doesn’t tear when you are making your cuts.

View attachment 28429

you should never cut into the branch collar on a tree limb. It will drastically reduce the ability of the tree to heal the wound.

View attachment 28430

you should have a basic understanding of CODIT before pruning anything on your (or anyone else’s) property.

I didn't know you were an arborist.

Be prepared to get an obnoxious amount of questions from me this spring when I start cleaning up my property.

Not so much on cutting dead trees down, i have plenty of experience in that and know the dangers. But what's best to plant to prevent erosion and maximize canopy coverage to keep weed growth to a minimum?

Previous owners let vines choke out trees and many of them died as a result. This winter I walked the area and cut all the vines at ground level. Assuming they were dormant during Winter, I didn't poison the cut. I plan to re-cut and poison them this Spring to officially kill them off.

Existing trees: Sugar Maple, Walnut, Red Oak, White Oak, Honey Locust (plan to eradicate), Sycamore, Hickory and I still have a few Ash trees that I'm going to try to save.

And I have about 5000 bush honeysuckle that may very well be the death of me.

Zone 6.

Last edited:

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

How many guys have you felled with s battle axe?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

Bigs trees pancaking is something that freaks me out ever since since heard of it. Is it real? Seems legit. Rjrirjfnrjf. gross tho

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
What do you mean pancaking? Do you mean barber chair?
View attachment 28440
I can't find any pics so maybe it's not really a thing

Imagine going around a tress cutting it in a circle so that it becomes balanced on in center that's getting smaller and smaller.

instead of toppling, eventually the weight of the tree will Drive is down through the small remaining center

And as it drops down, the wood sort of pancakes out. If you are standing there next to it. You get shanked* through the stomach with the wood pancake

Last edited:

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Imagine going around a tress cutting it in a circle so that it becomes balanced on in center that's getting smaller and smaller.

instead of toppling, eventually the weight of the tree will Drive is down through the small remaining center

And as it drops down, the wood sort of pancakes out. If you are standing there next to it. You get spanked through the stomach with the wood pancake
Dead tree rotted out in the centre. There's many techniques for felling trees. You should be able to determine if the trees rotted, well before you stick a saw in it.
Absolutely agree they're dangerous as all hell.

View: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/fga8EMr

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

And as it drops down, the wood sort of pancakes out. If you are standing there next to it. You get shanked* through the stomach with the wood pancake
This isn't a thing.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Not just that, he should've used a plunge cut on that dead ass tree.
Dead trees are another level of danger. I'm very careful, but I've come pretty close to death from some large branches at the top coming straight down because they were attached to a live tree vine that I didn't see above the canopy.

Scary as shit when a 10' branch with a 6" diameter lands right next to you from a 20' drop. Would have been lights out for sure.

And I don't fuck with hollow trees at all. Most of my felling is to make campsites safe. If there is a hollow tree around, I just tell people not to tent near it. Nature will eventually get it to the ground.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Dead trees are another level of danger. I'm very careful, but I've come pretty close to death from some large branches at the top coming straight down because they were attached to a live tree vine that I didn't see above the canopy.

Scary as shit when a 10' branch with a 6" diameter lands right next to you from a 20' drop. Would have been lights out for sure.

And I don't fuck with hollow trees at all. Most of my felling is to make campsites safe. If there is a hollow tree around, I just tell people not to tent near it. Nature will eventually get it to the ground.
The ol spike top window makers. When we were kids we'd shake those trees, trying to get the tops to break off. Old man would give us shit, rightfully so.
Fuck we were dumb!

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The ol spike top window makers. When we were kids we'd shake those trees, trying to get the tops to break off. Old man would give us shit, rightfully so.
Fuck we were dumb!
Being a kid was awesome.

What should I go cut down today?