Parenting: the Official TMMAC Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Kids and cell phones, what age is appropriate?

Was thinking about this after dropping my kids off at my mom's place. I don't know anybody who has a house phone still so if my kids are somewhere and there's an emergency would they know what to do? I don't know where my mom's places her phone when it's not on her so I doubt they do either.

Also how long am I expected to be the middle man in every little thing they do? When I was 8 or so I could pick up the phone and dial out to talk or ask a buddy to meet up and dialing 911 was taught in K.
I don't know if they still have it, but years ago Disney had their own mobile plan--it must have been in cooperation with a regular provider. The whole thing was designed so you could specify who your child was allowed to call and be called by. I have no idea now whether they dropped it or enhanced it for smartphones, but something like that might be worth looking into if you have concerns.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I don't know if they still have it, but years ago Disney had their own mobile plan--it must have been in cooperation with a regular provider. The whole thing was designed so you could specify who your child was allowed to call and be called by. I have no idea now whether they dropped it or enhanced it for smartphones, but something like that might be worth looking into if you have concerns.
They have an app called mobile watchdog.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
My oldest is just about to turn 11 and he doesn't want one. It's actually kind of annoying, as I sometimes wish I could text him. Maybe this Xmas.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Ive never wanted children. Ppl told me when I was young that would change as I got older. Well I'm 32 now and still don't want em hahaha. That's after seeing my nephew and 2 nieces grow up (they're teens now) and seeing my gf's nephews (4 and nearly 1) regularly. It's a sore point between my gf and I but I told her on the first date I was not the guy to be with if she wanted to find someone to eventually raise a family with.

That said, full respect to the parents here and everywhere who do all they can to raise good kids to be great people. It seems to be getting harder in this world imo with more parents being like friends and pressure from shit like social media, so props to the folks who can rise above all that shit and be good parents.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The past week or so my 3.5 year old has been trying to pull down ladies shirts and then asking to see their nipples :eek:

So we've been working on that...it's not polite or appropriate, those are other people's private parts not yours, etc.

But I'd be lying if I told ya there wasn't a little part of my brain saying "atta boy" :D

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
The past week or so my 3.5 year old has been trying to pull down ladies shirts and then asking to see their nipples :eek:

So we've been working on that...it's not polite or appropriate, those are other people's private parts not yours, etc.

But I'd be lying if I told ya there wasn't a little part of my brain saying "atta boy" :D
Lol. You need to write that down and put it in his scrapbook. They will go through a stage where they want to hear endless stories about when they were 'little'. They will be handy and you won't feel like an ass because you can't remember any.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Kids and cell phones, what age is appropriate?

Was thinking about this after dropping my kids off at my mom's place. I don't know anybody who has a house phone still so if my kids are somewhere and there's an emergency would they know what to do? I don't know where my mom's places her phone when it's not on her so I doubt they do either.

Also how long am I expected to be the middle man in every little thing they do? When I was 8 or so I could pick up the phone and dial out to talk or ask a buddy to meet up and dialing 911 was taught in K.
Kids can find cell phones. They're like bloodhounds when it comes to them seriously. Also even if it's password protected, most have emergency calling. If they have other devices, i.e. tablets, pcs, gaming consoles, it's good to teach them to use at least one messaging service so they can reach out, but beware as this can lead to a deluge of retarded messages.

I'd say 12 is the youngest I'd trust a kid with a device of their own, but if you can get a flip phone it's best. As someone who has worked with middle school age kids, smartphones at that age are basically like giving them crack though they're increasingly normalized and still will be that way if you wait till 16 or 17.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
The bus runs at 3:20pm. At 3:21pm my phone rings. I answer and my 12 year old says in a creepy calm Liam Neeson in Taken voice, "It's done". I cautiously ask, "what's done?" He says (again in creepy low voice), "It's finally over". My mind is gearing up for the worst. He laughs and says, "it's the last day of school, mom!"

Lil fucker.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Kids can find cell phones. They're like bloodhounds when it comes to them seriously. Also even if it's password protected, most have emergency calling. If they have other devices, i.e. tablets, pcs, gaming consoles, it's good to teach them to use at least one messaging service so they can reach out, but beware as this can lead to a deluge of retarded messages.

I'd say 12 is the youngest I'd trust a kid with a device of their own, but if you can get a flip phone it's best. As someone who has worked with middle school age kids, smartphones at that age are basically like giving them crack though they're increasingly normalized and still will be that way if you wait till 16 or 17.

Going through this battle with my ex, she gave my daughter (9) a cell phone to use while I have the kids, so they were non stop messaging each other. I took the phone off my daughter and said while youre with me you dont get to use the phone, told the ex if she needs to speak with her ring my phone in future as Ive never stopped her.

WW3 is happening now, Ive got the kids over the weekend so the next few days should be interesting. Im not gonna budge tho. Fuck that cunt.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The bus runs at 3:20pm. At 3:21pm my phone rings. I answer and my 12 year old says in a creepy calm Liam Neeson in Taken voice, "It's done". I cautiously ask, "what's done?" He says (again in creepy low voice), "It's finally over". My mind is gearing up for the worst. He laughs and says, "it's the last day of school, mom!"

Lil fucker.
nice description
I was hooked at "its done"

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
So, you know those kids who hang off ship rails on the ferry until security comes?

That's my boys.

And jump over a flower bed (they know I'd get that ass for killing flowers) to climb a statue on a public pier.... mine.

Go to a beach with rock cliffs, they want to climb the rock wall. Hundreds of kids. No one else was trying to scale a damn rock wall. They want to fuck my day up with a trip to the emergency room.

I love the lil assholes though.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
So, you know those kids who hang off ship rails on the ferry until security comes?

That's my boys.

And jump over a flower bed (they know I'd get that ass for killing flowers) to climb a statue on a public pier.... mine.

Go to a beach with rock cliffs, they want to climb the rock wall. Hundreds of kids. No one else was trying to scale a damn rock wall. They want to fuck my day up with a trip to the emergency room.

I love the lil assholes though.
Had a rough day? lol

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
If I keep it up I may write an emotionally charged and highly distrubing manifest
All I have is Michelob, but I have enough.
You better keep up, I am deep in the bud light...I know, I know, grabbed on the way home at a gas station. Shitty week, requires shitty beer.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
If I keep it up I may write an emotionally charged and highly distrubing manifest

You better keep up, I am deep in the bud light...I know, I know, grabbed on the way home at a gas station. Shitty week, requires shitty beer.
I know right. That's why I apologized for only having Michelob Ultra.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

And I love emotionally charged and highly disturbing. It makes me feel more normal. Lol

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I know right. That's why I apologized for only having Michelob Ultra.
I do actually like that beer. But won't buy it myself. I don't need a whole lot since I do not drink often. Will hate myself during my run tomorrow though lol. Look at me getting all chatty. wtf.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I do actually like that beer. But won't buy it myself. I don't need a whole lot since I do not drink often. Will hate myself during my run tomorrow though lol. Look at me getting all chatty. wtf.
The Ultra is less calories. You don't feel as bad the next day. Treat yourself next time.