Solo: A Star Wars Story

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
why wouldn't I be serious? is it because of the trailer?

I'm not a trailer-watching kind of person, I even close my eyes during (some) cinema trailers lol
These are one-shot movies. They're not getting sequels. Rogue One, Solo and the rumoured Bobba Fett and Obi-wan movies are part of the "Star Wars Story" anthology.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
These are one-shot movies. They're not getting sequels. Rogue One, Solo and the rumoured Bobba Fett and Obi-wan movies are part of the "Star Wars Story" anthology.
mmhm seems you're right :( and the animated spinoff for Jynn Erso looks terrible .. 2 tv movies and a series according to IMDB

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I've seen a lot of complaints about Luke giving up but what else was a slap in the face for the original trilogy?
Besides that, there is:

The complete ignoring of the origins of a StormTrooper. AKA wtf is with Finn "I developed a conscience" 24702 or whatever.
Since when does this happen? Is he the first? Why is he the first? What The Fuck with no explanation?
Foolish of me to think they would resolve that little issue in Last Jedi ... nope.

Same with Rey "I woke up like this" .i.e. with a lightsaber & suddenly kicks Kylo Ren (a jedi-trainee turned potential Sith)'s ass in a forest?
Explanation in Last Jedi? None - except "Your parents were junkies". LOL great. So there must be millions of level 9 jedis running around the Galaxy who could kick Kylo's ass then?

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Besides that, there is:

The complete ignoring of the origins of a StormTrooper. AKA wtf is with Finn "I developed a conscience" 24702 or whatever.
Since when does this happen? Is he the first? Why is he the first? What The Fuck with no explanation?
Foolish of me to think they would resolve that little issue in Last Jedi ... nope.

Same with Rey "I woke up like this" .i.e. with a lightsaber & suddenly kicks Kylo Ren (a jedi-trainee turned potential Sith)'s ass in a forest?
Explanation in Last Jedi? None - except "Your parents were junkies". LOL great. So there must be millions of level 9 jedis running around the Galaxy who could kick Kylo's ass then?

They can't dive into every piece of info. The originals kept things vague too. That's why the extended universe exists.
I don't believe we've actually learned about Rey's parents yet.
Did you see the end of the movie? Force sensitives are around.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
They can't dive into every piece of info..
Yeah, but you would think they could dive into two of the biggest glaring issues ... especially since they kind of did....
I don't believe we've actually learned about Rey's parents yet.
You mean Kylo Ren may have lied? Well that'd be an improvement except for the fact it opens up another plot hole...
Did you see the end of the movie? Force sensitives are around.
Well, that's exactly my point and I meant by "So there must be millions of level 9 jedis running around the Galaxy who could kick Kylo's ass then?".

Could any of these force sensitives randomly pick up a light saber and kick that kind of ass day one? No. Therefore, why can Rey?
See my point? The fact it isn't explained is a problem.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, but you would think they could dive into two of the biggest glaring issues ... especially since they kind of did....
You mean Kylo Ren may have lied? Well that'd be an improvement except for the fact it opens up another plot hole...
Well, that's exactly my point and I meant by "So there must be millions of level 9 jedis running around the Galaxy who could kick Kylo's ass then?".

Could any of these force sensitives randomly pick up a light saber and kick that kind of ass day one? No. Therefore, why can Rey?
EXPANDED UNIVERSE.
The franchise isn't isolated to the movies. It's no coincidence why they make money off comic books and novels.
It's the Skywalker saga. We're not going to learn backstories about secondary characters.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
EXPANDED UNIVERSE.
The franchise isn't isolated to the movies. It's no coincidence why they make money off comic books and novels.
It's the Skywalker saga. We're not going to learn backstories about secondary characters.
Finn & Rey are not secondary characters... In the latest triology, the Skywalkers are the secondary characters.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
She was an elite staff fighter. I don't see a problem with her transitioning to the sword. Besides... Kylo wasn't trying to kill her... he was trying to convert her. Ad to that too Kylo was hurt badly, & it makes thingz more believable imo.

It was explained in the books that she was so capable with staff fighting that most Jakku natives didn't f*ck with her. She mainly just took sh*t from people there to trade who didn't know her & she easily beat them down.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
They can't dive into every piece of info.
That's true... but we must know about this girl that was with Han... but Greedo was in love with her... & that is what inevitably caused him to face off with & get shot by Han in Ep 4.

We also need to see Han do the Kessel run in 12 parsecs.

Won't believe it till I see it. :D

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
It looks ... decent.
  • Except this guy is not a reminder of Harrson Ford - at all. Not even a little.
  • The Millenium Falcon is a cargo ship, not some super-duper high tech super battle ship.
If this had come out sooner, I'd probably be more excited. But The Last Jedi Garbage has me on 'meh'.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018

That was a hell of a delivery by Lando when he said... "EVERYTHING... You've heard about me.... is true." Glover is spot on the Lando we know, imo. (in other scenes as well.) Expect he will continue to do the part justice.

I expect Woody Harrelson will kill it in his role too. Shady smuggler should fit the Natural Born Killer star very well.

I'm very excited to see this back story. No doubt we're going to see the game of Sabacc where Han wins the Falcon... & it's pretty well confirmed that we're going to see the famous 12 parsec Kessel Run. It's understood that either Lando or Han upgraded the navigational computer to handle things better than most other ships... & also that somehow, they were able to achieve 0.5 above light speed. It's all good either way with that background data stuff, but I'd personally like to see that stuff added into the story.

That other Wookiee that Chewbacca hugs is almost guaranteed to be his wife Malla... or his son Waroo... so that's going to be fooking cool seeing what they show about them. I expect that the train scene in the trailer is very likely Han Freeing Chewbacca from slavery & so that will be great to see that & the development of Chewbacca thanking him by offering Han a life debt. I expect that scene where Han grabbed Chewy as he fell from the train saved his life & that is a big part of it.

We also found out that Chewbacca was 190 years old at that time. Canon on Chewy sayz that he was born in 200 BBY... so that confirms the timeline of this movie to be at 10 BBY. Han was born in 29 BBY... so that makes him 19 yrs old in this movie. First to my knowledge that we've gotten any specifics about the timeline this movie takes place in... at least in that scene. As far as we know, the movie could span multiple yearz though or show flashbacks n stuff.

So that point in the movie... is 9 years after Ep. 3 when the Empire took control of the Galaxy... & about 5 years before the first episode of Rebels. (which started at 5 BBY)

Side thought... the average lifespan of a Wookiee is 400 years... so Chewbacca is pushing just a little past middle aged in TLJ. As Wookiee's start getting older... they get white in their fur... so if Ep. 9 happens a decade or 2 after TLJ... it might be fun to give him a grey Go-T or something yeah?

Anywayz, as we all know... Han ended up shooting Greedo in Ep. 4... but it wasn't completely all about the thingz the movie described. The backstory is that Greedo was jealous of Han cause he was in love with his girlfriend. :eek: Would enjoy a bit of that back story in the movie.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
The Millenium Falcon is a cargo ship, not some super-duper high tech super battle ship.
I'd say it's both. I mean we've seen it on screen kicking ass in many dog fights. It single handedly took out 2 squadrons of Tie fighters during the battle of Crait. Not sure what more they'd have to do in order for you to agree that it's a capable battle ship as well as a capable cargo ship.

What made you say that? I'm not really even sure what your point is.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I'd say it's both. I mean we've seen it on screen kicking ass in many dog fights. It single handedly took out 2 squadrons of Tie fighters during the battle of Crait. Not sure what more they'd have to do in order for you to agree that it's a capable battle ship as well as a capable cargo ship.

What made you say that? I'm not really even sure what your point is.
My point is - watch the trailer closely.
If you are true to star wars roots, you would know Lando gave Han the cargo ship... which was mainly used as cargo ship
Clearly in thi smovie this is before that happens. And clearly in the trailer it is being shown as some great battleship primarily when that isn't/wasn't its primary designation at the time.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
If you are true to star wars roots, you would know Lando gave Han the cargo ship... which was mainly used as cargo ship
Clearly in thi smovie this is before that happens. And clearly in the trailer it is being shown as some great battleship primarily when that isn't/wasn't its primary designation at the time.
Lando was responsible for modifying the Falcon to the way we know it so it's probable the alterations were made during or before the timeline of the movie.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Lando was responsible for modifying the Falcon to the way we know it so it's probable the alterations were made during or before the timeline of the movie.
Hopefully during, as that would make sense and be worth watching.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
I think you're assuming a lot that could be explained within the movie.

I don't know the extent of it... but Lando did a bunch of modifications before he lost it. Even if we haven't been told the extent of those modifications.... it's safe to say that Lando might not of made them all known.

If you read the canon comic series "Lando 1 - 5" you will see that he tells everyone that he never uses a blaster. He makes it into a religion for himself that everyone understands. Even his best friend (who Lando risks his life to rescue) is surprised when Lando breaks it out & kills someone. When asked about it, Lando said "the only other people who know that I use a blaster are dead." I'm not sure where you're getting your "CANON" information from.... but it's very possible Lando upgraded the Falcon to be a battle ship prior to Han taking ownership. If you have some evidence otherwise, then lets take a look at it.

You're also assuming that Han & Chewy didn't start straight into upgrades... or maybe Beckett stepped up & said something like "if you're going to use that cargo ship for this job, we're gonna have to do some upgrades."

I see what you're saying bro.... but we haven't even seen the whole story yet. I'm just saying to temper your response until you know for sure that they did f*ck up. Once the movie comes out & then if they never upgraded it & they're doing thingz that a stock YT-1300f shouldn't be able to do... then we can have a discussion about it... but until we see the story, it's a bit to early to be jumping to the conclusions you're making.

Last edited:

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
Hopefully during, as that would make sense and be worth watching.
I hadn't heard that before about Lando doing ALL the modifications we know of today. Wookieepedia canon sayz that Lando "began to modify the Falcon inside & out"... it doesn't say to what extent he modified it.... but I'd have to disagree with the idea that he "modified it to the Falcon we know today" (as Super Dave is saying) because there's obviously a front piece that gets taken off.

I'm not sure where Super Dave is getting his info from... but I find it likely that Lando did a bunch of modifications... & then Han & Chewy also did a lot of modifications yeah?

Anywayz... it's an interesting subject to try & figure out... but it's not necessarily "critical information." I'm sure that whatever maneuverability & extra fire power the Falcon has during this movie is explained either in general by the fact that Lando did some modifications "inside & out"... or even more fun would be if we get to see some of them in the movie.

It's said the computer is assisted by 3 different droid brainz... lol... it's also said that the computer is so advanced that the falcon can make hyperspace maneuvers that other ships can't... & they accredit that ability toward the 12 parsec Kessel run that other ships can't do. I expect those 3 droid brainz are the reason for that... & I personally would enjoy some background on that. At least maybe they'll put it in the book if they can't fit it into the movie. Star Wars in general has to keep the attention of the kids.... so they're not going to go full tech geek in the movie.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
Besides that, there is:

Your complaints are explained in other media in detail... but there's a lot in the movie's themselves that explain things.

Finn:
The clones were no longer being created, so "the origins of the Stormtroopers", as you said... are no longer in the mix. (though there were several stories of clones defecting or undermining their duty as well) The new recruitment process is obviously people from around the galaxy & not just clones... & so they were not brain washed like the clones were... & so people not digging it are a lot more with the current system. He was not anywhere close to the first. They had an academy where they trained people & they pretty much tried to get everyone on the same page. Many dropped out of the academy... & this was Finns's first job

One story about Finn (from a canon novel) is that he was elite in his training, but his friend was not. During exercises & "situation drills" & stuff in training... Finn tried to help out his friend to get through it, but his supervisor chastised him saying that the weak should be allowed to fall without assistance. Finn didn't like that at all. then on one of his first missions (the start of TFA) he & his crew were asked to mass murder innocent women & children & so there was the obvious disconnect. You really don't even need the other media stuff to understand it... that alone should be enough.

Rey:
Her elite staff fighter skills were well known on Jakku. The scoundrels knew better than to f*ck with her. Her life was literally on the line & so she had to become fierce fighter. The force may of just awakened in her in this movie... but like Anakin was the only human who could pod-race when he was a young kid (before the force awakened in him)... I find it easy to believe that she developed Elite fighting skills that were superior to non-force sensitive people.

Changing from the staff to the sword is pretty easy to understand.

You don't even need the novelization to tell you she was an elite staff fighter. Finn is obviously a lifetime trained stormtrooper & she kicked his ass with her staff.

Other things to consider are:
Kylo had a mortal wound & he only survived it by using the force to keep it together. So he had to focus constantly on that as well as everything else that was going on around him.

He just killed his dad... & so he was a little mind f*cked about that as well.

The main thing though... is that Kylo wasn't trying to kill her... he was trying to recruit her. So he was basically just sparring while she was ferociously fighting for her life.

This is a story about a girl who worked very hard for her abilities. She struggled all her life... had to develop elite fighting skills for survival... & schooled herself off of the computer she had available in one of the crashed ships. That's all she had to do for all those years living alone. So she didn't just wake up one day with all this knowledge & skill. She worked very hard to get it... & being a future force sensitive only helped.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
I loved the Solo movie. Great characters & story. I was able to completely submerse myself in the story without being sidetracked by the fact that we're using different actors for Han & Lando. Lando especially was spot on. They obviously re-shot several of the Han spots we saw in the trailers... & I think that whatever new direction they went with him... it worked.

SPOILER ALERT FOR SOLO MOVIE

loved the story, & the intricate plot at the end. Han could've won either way. Even if his plan to double cross Vos didn't work... he was standing there the whole time telling Vos that it's the real stuff... & it was... so Han was going to win whether the double cross worked or not. Fascinating.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
I scrolled down to the comments to avoid all posts. For someome who isnt a huge Star Wars fan, but enjoyed Force Awakens, is this worth viewing?