General South Korean Women will outlive you all by 2030

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
There isn't a one and two, they're both equally a deterrent
"In my opinion, the reason the women are having a 'birth strike' in Korea is because of the economic issue," Jeong says.

"For them to graduate from university, it costs a lot of money. And it's not just university. After university when you're trying to get a job, that costs a lot as well. So I think the main reason why women hesitate to get married and have kids is because of the money."

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Is that why he killed himself? If bribery is apart of our culture then why did he kill himself upon being discovered?
Shame maybe?
People were disgusted to see that he got dozens of not hundreds of millions in bribes.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
"In my opinion, the reason the women are having a 'birth strike' in Korea is because of the economic issue," Jeong says.

"For them to graduate from university, it costs a lot of money. And it's not just university. After university when you're trying to get a job, that costs a lot as well. So I think the main reason why women hesitate to get married and have kids is because of the money."
However, that was a quote from a man.

(You're welcome :D)

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017

Traditionally parents pay for schooling so that makes no sense. Money is a problem though because in order for your child to get ahead in a very competitive job market is that they need extra schooling and to get into very good school or school abroad. A Canadian or American degree is very prestigious. International tuition is expensive as well as costs to live abroad 2 ~7 + years. Day care is also extremely limited and very expensive. So imagine that you basically work your whole life to send your kids to school. Then you must also take care of the family like a housewife when you get home.

Pre 1980 Korean women traditionally once you married you stayed home to take care of the kids. Once korea became a two income society in the eighties child birth started really declining and by 1990 the birth rate dropped to 1.57 child per woman. It is now 1.52 per woman. So tang and otaku observations of children being plenty in the nineties or whatever is incorrect. Life was not easier back then. The truth is the Korean working adult has never had joyous life. The change is that now that women are working too they do not want extra domestic responsibilities on top of their jobs and to slave away this way to send their kids to school and put their children through the same cycle. In the eighties during the economic boom, elders thought that working hard and slaving away would somehow allow the children of tomorrow to have an easier life. Now you are seeing those children grown up and seeing their parents slave away and they feel they haven't really improved the quality of their life and they don't want to slave away like the parents did and continue an endless cycle of living for someone else.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Shame maybe?
People were disgusted to see that he got dozens of not hundreds of millions in bribes.
If bribes are deeply rooted in the culture why did he feel shame and why would others be disgusted? That's kind of contradictory.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Is that why he killed himself? If bribery is apart of our culture then why did he kill himself upon being discovered?
Roh Tae woo is separate case, you're mistaken for Roh Moo Hyun

Roh Tae Woo and Chun Doo Hwan (former corrupt President) served in the same military unit in the past. Chun took over the office by force, military coup' after dictator Park JungHee was assassinated. When Chun was president, Roh serving under him as military commander, knowing KimYoungSam is potential political competition, jailed him for some reason.

Later, Chun was caught for corruption, coup, the Gwangju massacre, taking bribes, and other crimes and was jailed and put on death row.
Later, Roh was caught for corruption, bribery, some affiliation for coup and Gwangju massacre, and was jailed and put on death row.

The irony of all this is when Kim Young Sam became the president, he pardoned Chun and Roh, and they're still alive today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
title makes zero sense

but I love ya Chan

too many variables IMO

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
banchan is honest and open

bit refreshing IMO

lot to learn from different perspectives

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Is that why the focus on longevity? Is that what you're hoping to do with your 90 years? Keep hunting firsts?
what else is there?

that sounds fun

U ain't making 90 if content and sedentary...right doc?

just popped into thread and didn't read most of it so just spitballing

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015

Roh Tae Woo and Chun Doo Hwan (former corrupt President) served in the same military unit in the past. Chun took over the office by force, military coup' after dictator Park JungHee was assassinated. When Chun was president, Roh serving under him as military commander, knowing KimYoungSam is potential political competition, jailed him for some reason.

Later, Chun was caught for corruption, coup, the Gwangju massacre, taking bribes, and other crimes and was jailed and put on death row.
Later, Roh was caught for corruption, bribery, some affiliation for coup and Gwangju massacre, and was jailed and put on death row.

The irony of all this is when Kim Young Sam became the president, he pardoned Chun and Roh, and they're still alive today.
Funny how banchan doesn’t know who roh tae-woo is?
Lol
I think I know why

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015

Chun should be in jail for the Kwangju massacre. It’s horrible what happened there.

On a side note, i briefly met Kim dae-Chung while he was signing books at Chong-ro bookstore in Seoul. He was campaigning.
Mi remember he had quite the security crew lol.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Chun should be in jail for the Kwangju massacre. It’s horrible what happened there.

On a side note, i briefly met Kim dae-Chung while he was signing books at Chong-ro bookstore in Seoul. He was campaigning.
Mi remember he had quite the security crew lol.
O ya, it was Kim Dae Jung and Kim Young Sam who pardoned Chun and Roh

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Funny how banchan doesn’t know who roh tae-woo is?
Lol
I think I know why
I wasn't alive back then.

Both Roh's were indicted for corruption that took place during their terms but that still doesn't dispute that you failed to an answer what gift culture is and how it's deeply rooted in Korean culture when considering chaebols aren't that old.

Last edited:

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017

Now tell us how bribery is deeply cultural !!

Ok so taking funding from chaebols started in ancient deeply cultural 1960 Korea....go on oppa.