The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Did you snag that 2nd one?
Yeah he spat the first hook but couldn't escape the body lock. Using a top water lure and tugging slightly at a downward angle to make it "dive", the tilapia were attacking it non-stop.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
@conor mcgregor nut hugger

saw my first green anoles of this year yesterday in the yard. Did my first mow and yard clean up of the season, and spotted 5 of them. Mostly along my fence where they were coloring themselves brown. I bet there are more in my firewood rack, they always seem to love that area.

No pics because I was busy mowing, at which time I then I broke the glass in my back porch door with a small rock that flew out of the mower. That's going to be an expensive fuck up lol. Oh well, we were planning on changing that door anyway, just a little sooner now!

Last edited:
M

member 3289

@conor mcgregor nut hugger

saw my first green anoles yesterday in the yard. Did my first mow and yard clean up of the season, and spotted 5 of them. Mostly along my fence where they were coloring themselves brown. I bet there are more in my firewood rack, they always seem to love that area.
The next few months are the best time of year to see them. The males are out looking for territory and hoes.

If you're lucky you'll get to see some cresting and other displays:

View: https://youtu.be/ktwNBfkQGW8

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The next few months are the best time of year to see them. The males are out looking for territory and hoes.

If you're lucky you'll get to see some cresting and other displays:

View: https://youtu.be/ktwNBfkQGW8
lol at that video and the "final countdown" music. Don't think I have ever seen them fighting, but do often see them doing their little dance and dew lap display. Yesterday they were mostly pretty skittish with the mower running. I'm going to go check the firewood rack later, there are often several in there. Lots of nooks and crannies for them to retreat into.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Education time
Poison Ivy

Most people know the "Leaves of 3, let it be" saying to avoid poison ivy, but it can also get you in the non-summer months when there aren't any leaves.

Poison Ivy has a very hairy vine. You see this in the woods - leave it be.

I'm clearing trails for the quad today and almost touched this fucker because it was on the opposite side of the tree. Took the bloppers and cut a 24" section out, then commenced with my awesome chainsaw work.

20210327_125546.jpg

M

member 3289

Education time
Poison Ivy

Most people know the "Leaves of 3, let it be" saying to avoid poison ivy, but it can also get you in the non-summer months when there aren't any leaves.

Poison Ivy has a very hairy vine. You see this in the woods - leave it be.

I'm clearing trails for the quad today and almost touched this fucker because it was on the opposite side of the tree. Took the bloppers and cut a 24" section out, then commenced with my awesome chainsaw work.

View attachment 31469
It's harmless

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Three golden eagles.
I post from the wilderness of the northwest U.S.

Golden Eagle5.jpgGolden Eagle4.jpgGolden Eagle3.jpg

And falls of the granite variety, from my cave where the huckleberries run wild.20210321_184616.jpg20210321_184005.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
1st sign I've seen of the upcoming Cicada invasion. Fucking Brood X.

Dudes have been underground for 17 years. I'm sure I'll be hearing them soon. Annoying bastards.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
1st sign I've seen of the upcoming Cicada invasion. Fucking Brood X.

Dudes have been underground for 17 years. I'm sure I'll be hearing them soon. Annoying bastards.
We have em here also...but ours don't hide out for 17 years

you can hear em each summer...although the population is fairly low

Crazy lifecycle on those sleeper cell Cicadas

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
We have em here also...but ours don't hide out for 17 years

you can hear em each summer...although the population is fairly low

Crazy lifecycle on those sleeper cell Cicadas
We get small batches every year.

But this Brood X is the motherload. The last time they were here there were car crashes because the roads were so slick from the bug guts.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
We get small batches every year.

But this Brood X is the motherload. The last time they were here there were car crashes because the roads were so slick from the bug guts.
crazy stuff, I can imagine tens of millions of bugs at once can do a number on all types of stuff

I saw white huge grasshoppers like that once as a kid, not sure what state...I think they were hoppers not sure

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Cicada 3301

Any of you guys into cooking with a Dutch Oven?
Yes
We use a Dutch Oven often in the Conventional Oven
Not outdoors though, ours is ceramic coated iron...outdoors/camping I just use a deep cast iron

I use it like a slow cooker for all types of recipes...shawarma, pulled meats, etc...