The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
We have pileated, downy, and red-bellied in my area (aside from sapsuckers, which are also woodpeckers). Pileated are the prettiest but also the rarest. Downy are tiny and shy. Red-bellied are the coolest imo. They don't take shit from any other birds their size.

Also I read that they're named red-bellied because red-headed was already taken by another woodpecker species.
The pileated are cool looking, but I don't think we have those in this part of TX. And yeah the red-bellies are cool looking. I like the ladder-backed too....you may not have those over there in your area though

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The pileated are cool looking, but I don't think we have those in this part of TX. And yeah the red-bellies are cool looking. I like the ladder-backed too....you may not have those over there in your area though
I have one where I've duck hunted the last few years by our house. Cool bird.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Grabbin a brewskie on the front porch and this dude buzzed on in. Crazy watching these things fly. Fast as fuck. I have about 6 of them around this feeder and they keep running each other off. Funny to watch.

20210701_204525.jpg

M

member 3289

I had to commit a necessary evil today - euthanize an invasive Cuban tree frog. It was a baby so it wasn't easy, but once I captured it I couldn't legally re-release it.

I followed all steps recommended by the state of Florida:

After you capture the frog, we recommend that you euthanize them humanely -- in fact, it is illegal (and irresponsible) to re-release them into our ecosystem. The most humane way to euthanize Cuban Treefrogs is by liberally applying benzocaine (20%) to the back or belly of the frog.....After you apply the benzocaine, the Cuban Treefrog will quickly become unconscious. Next, seal the plastic bag and put it into the freezer overnight. By the next day, you can be sure that the Cuban Treefrog will not wake up (which would be inhumane), and can dispose of the bag.

...In Florida, the presence of this frog is NOT benign -- they are quite literally eating our native species alive, adding pressure to species that are already greatly affected by habitat loss. It is for these reasons that we advocate humanely euthanizing invasive Cuban Treefrogs -- help give our native wildlife a break!

M

member 3289

Grabbin a brewskie on the front porch and this dude buzzed on in. Crazy watching these things fly. Fast as fuck. I have about 6 of them around this feeder and they keep running each other off. Funny to watch.

View attachment 40308
We only get them 3 months a year when they escape your cold winters, so fuckin dork "birdwatchers" go to wildlife areas and set up cameras close to firebush plants and other flowering plants hummingbirds like.

I thought it was a bit much but seeing one really does have a magical feeling.

Hopefully you've finally put some curtains up in your house so nature's little angels don't fly into your window death trap.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
We only get them 3 months a year when they escape your cold winters, so fuckin dork "birdwatchers" go to wildlife areas and set up cameras close to firebush plants and other flowering plants hummingbirds like.

I thought it was a bit much but seeing one really does have a magical feeling.

Hopefully you've finally put some curtains up in your house so nature's little angels don't fly into your window death trap.
Still no curtains. The hummingbirds stay away from the windows as far as I can tell - the feeder is about 6 feet away. They appear to be way smarter than the common Robin that love flying into these windows full speed.

A few loud ass bangs this year, but so far no deaths. Maybe they are learning their no fly zones.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I had to commit a necessary evil today - euthanize an invasive Cuban tree frog. It was a baby so it wasn't easy, but once I captured it I couldn't legally re-release it.

After you capture the frog, we recommend that you euthanize them humanely -- in fact, it is illegal (and irresponsible) to re-release them into our ecosystem. The most humane way to euthanize Cuban Treefrogs is by liberally applying benzocaine (20%) to the back or belly of the frog.....After you apply the benzocaine, the Cuban Treefrog will quickly become unconscious. Next, seal the plastic bag and put it into the freezer overnight. By the next day, you can be sure that the Cuban Treefrog will not wake up (which would be inhumane), and can dispose of the bag.

...In Florida, the presence of this frog is NOT benign -- they are quite literally eating our native species alive, adding pressure to species that are already greatly affected by habitat loss. It is for these reasons that we advocate humanely euthanizing invasive Cuban Treefrogs -- help give our native wildlife a break!
Good job, you're doing your part to fight back against invasive species (which you guys have a fuckload of down there lol). I've seen the benzocaine used before and it seems to work pretty well and effectively. We probably have 20 dead frogs in our freezer at work from our biology crew. They love collecting specimens for all of their work and research. Locally, there may be a new invasive chirping frog getting established. The taxonomy isn't really sorted out all that well for these guys, so whenever they see one they grab it and pass it on to one of their biologist peers working with the species.

M

member 1013

Murderer!

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
20210714_181856.jpg
Doing some foraging.
1. Red Russian kale
2. Dandelion
3. Wild Englush Mustard
4. Green Onion
5. Chives
6. Italian basil
7. Blue dwarf kale
8. Broadleaf plantain
9. Wild Lettuce (lactuca serriola?)
10. Harvesting chive seeds

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Last week I was at a cottage so I got to get out at sunset and sunrise and top water fish. It was just like in the movies, fish hammering the bait from below, and jumping into the air as I reeled them in. Best fishing of my life.
68C58829-479B-4937-96A4-AA4A77412D31.jpegE51AFEDB-839C-4D98-BB2F-131FEBDE5E35.jpegC43A7D00-47A4-4D6A-AF5F-494F18FF0B8F.jpeg

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just got back from several lake showers.

20210722_193036.jpg20210722_192655.jpg20210724_192940(0).jpg
I put my phone safety on the line just for this thread...

20210724_195616.jpg20210723_205830.jpg

View from the campsite.