The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Teachable moment - The key differences between an American Alligator and an American Crocodile:

1. Color
2. Snout shape
3. Teeth

Screenshot_20220526-155553_iNaturalist.jpg

1. American alligators are usually black in color as they are exclusively freshwater inhabitants. They can survive salt water better than we once thought, but evolution favors those that blend into their primary environment well. Fresh water in the southeast is very dark/opaque in color.

2. American Alligators have a wide, rounded snout.

Screenshot_20220526-155918_iNaturalist.jpg

1. American Crocodiles are usually a light to mid brownish green, as they spend most of their time in brackish or salt water, where lighter colors camouflage better.

2. American Crocodiles have a narrower, pointier snout.

Screenshot_20220526-160022_iNaturalist.jpg

3. When their mouths are closed, only the top teeth of an American Alligator can be seen. With an American Crocodile, however, a few of their bottom teeth can be seen towards the front of their mouths (as seen in the photo above).

In the U.S., you will almost certainly be looking at an American Alligator if you spot a crocodilian. American Crocodiles are far less tolerant of cold weather, which restricts their U.S. range to extreme southern Florida (mostly Miami-Dade county).

They're sympatric in some parts of the Florida Everglades. If they fought, the winner would be whichever crocodilian is bigger. They're very similar in size overall and the differences in mouth shape wouldn't necessarily favor the gator in a fight.

PM me for my PayPal info (all tips appreciated).

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Teachable moment - The key differences between an American Alligator and an American Crocodile:

1. Color
2. Snout shape
3. Teeth

View attachment 68716

1. American alligators are usually black in color as they are exclusively freshwater inhabitants. They can survive salt water better than we once thought, but evolution favors those that blend into their primary environment well. Fresh water in the southeast is very dark/opaque in color.

2. American Alligators have a wide, rounded snout.

View attachment 68715

1. American Crocodiles are usually a light to mid brownish green, as they spend most of their time in brackish or salt water, where lighter colors camouflage better.

2. American Crocodiles have a narrower, pointier snout.

View attachment 68714

3. When their mouths are closed, only the top teeth of an American Alligator can be seen. With an American Crocodile, however, a few of their bottom teeth can be seen towards the front of their mouths (as seen in the photo above).

In the U.S., you will almost certainly be looking at an American Alligator if you spot a crocodilian. American Crocodiles are far less tolerant of cold weather, which restricts their U.S. range to extreme southern Florida (mostly Miami-Dade county).

They're sympatric in some parts of the Florida Everglades. If they fought, the winner would be whichever crocodilian is bigger. They're very similar in size overall and the differences in mouth shape wouldn't necessarily favor the gator in a fight.

PM me for my PayPal info (all tips appreciated).
Which one would I not want to encounter more?

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
I just confirmed that my cat-like reflexes are as sharp as ever. I’m lying in my hammock and managed to somehow dodge falling bird shit. It’s not something that can be taught, so I’m grateful to have been blessed with this level of athleticism.

D40CE68E-F6A9-4133-8E01-053217F8FC2F.jpeg

M

member 3289

Neither would be threatening unless they were above 9 feet or so. Then you're fucked either way. But both are fairly docile for crocodilians and both would rather avoid adult humans than confront them.

But you'd be more likely to see a crocodile coming so a gator might be more dangerous.

I was ready to dogwalk this 6-7 foot gator a year ago but he didn't want this smoke.

View: https://streamja.com/jeyWX

Tonic immobilility due to an unusually cold winter day/prior night.

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
Neither would be threatening unless they were above 9 feet or so. Then you're fucked either way. But both are fairly docile for crocodilians and both would rather avoid adult humans than confront them.

But you'd be more likely to see a crocodile coming so a gator might be more dangerous.

I was ready to dogwalk this 6-7 foot gator a year ago but he didn't want this smoke.

View: https://streamja.com/jeyWX

Tonic immobilility due to an unusually cold winter day/prior night.
That’s not a gator, that’s a fucking dinosaur! Holy shit!

M

member 3289

That’s not a gator, that’s a fucking dinosaur! Holy shit!
As I was approaching it a guy came up from behind me on a bicycle. He wanted to turn his bike around until I convinced him the gator was too cold to attack anything and that he'd be fine going around it. He proceeded to walk his bike (with the bike between him and the gator) around it, at least 10 feet away and nearly in the water.

He was probably from New Jersey.

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
As I was approaching it a guy came up from behind me on a bicycle. He wanted to turn his bike around until I convinced him the gator was too cold to attack anything and that he'd be fine going around it. He proceeded to walk his bike (with the bike between him and the gator) around it, at least 10 feet away and nearly in the water.

He was probably from New Jersey.
Feeling cute.
May post this in the sarcasm thread later. Not sure.
F05AFC29-969F-4CFC-A945-811C636A0DD9.jpeg

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I just confirmed that my cat-like reflexes are as sharp as ever. I’m lying in my hammock and managed to somehow dodge falling bird shit. It’s not something that can be taught, so I’m grateful to have been blessed with this level of athleticism.

View attachment 68717
For all we know you stained the hammock yourself!

M

member 3289

As a follow-up, it appears the wider snout does actually give the American Alligator (A.m. in the chart below) a slightly higher bite force than a similarly sized American Crocodile (C.a. in the chart):

Screenshot_20220527-133411_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

So to answer your question, you'd be fucked in either encounter but marginally more fucked if you crossed paths with an alligator.

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
As a follow-up, it appears the wider snout does actually give the American Alligator (A.m. in the chart below) a slightly higher bite force than a similarly sized American Crocodile (C.a. in the chart):

View attachment 68784

So to answer your question, you'd be fucked in either encounter but marginally more fucked if you crossed paths with an alligator.
Just give me a full training camp and we will see who is fucked

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Almost have this mighty Sycamore freed from it's honeysuckle forest. Doesn't show too well on the picture, but this tree is huge.

20220602_190928.jpg