Society The Joseph R Biden Show

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Biden could have just removed the import tariffs and called it a day. Quickly skimming a press release on this baby formula bill it appears that it's just funding for the FDA.

We should have never blocked import of anything so crucial. But yes we could have done it rapidly and should have. We're moving at a snails pace on something so important

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
It is for low income families. Guess who has to work and doesn't have maternity care and so through. All of this is far less likely to breastfeed so they have to get formula.
That makes sense.
60% still feels pretty high.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
We should have never blocked import of anything so crucial. But yes we could have done it rapidly and should have. We're moving at a snails pace on something so important
Are national inventory levels monitored?
How would Biden and group find out there was an issue - outside of empty shelves and panicked moms.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The news this morning said that roughly 60% of all formula purchased in the US is through the WIC program. I always assumed that program was for low-income families, so the 60% amount surprised me.

Are rich moms just forcing their nannies to pump milk so they have no need for formula?
WIC covers people living at 100-185% of the poverty line depending on state policies. For a family of 2, that's ~$17K - $31K. The average household income of a woman led household with children in the US is around $36K.

M

member 3289

I encourage breast feeding as much as possible even though I know some women simply can't produce enough breast milk to feed their babies. Breast milk is better for brain development I think.

But because I'm not a Republican fucktard, I'm not going to try to pass a law telling women what I think they should do with their bodies.

M

member 3289

Any idea on statistics of breast feeding? Do most women breast feed? Of the ones who do, do most have to supplement with formula?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I encourage breast feeding as much as possible
How do you go about doing this?

When you see a woman breastfeeding do you pat her on the head and give her your support, or are you more aggressive? Like when you see a formula bottle being prepped for a baby do you knock it out of mom's hands and scream "Whip out a tit!"

Different women likely require different types of encouragement, so I'm interested to hear how you choose to engage.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Any idea on statistics of breast feeding? Do most women breast feed? Of the ones who do, do most have to supplement with formula?
Nearly every woman could breastfeed physiologically. In my experience, very few actually need to supplement with formula.

Far more breastfeeding while trying to do all the same stuff as a man, going to work, etc etc is the difficulty. It's exhausting and sometimes insurance companies block pumps which are very expensive So it's difficult to offload the task to the partner.

Around 3/4 of all women will start breastfeeding. I don't know the up-to-date numbers on how many continue doing so after several months.

Regardless, the demand for formula is significantly out of step with supply no matter what the number is.

M

member 3289

How do you go about doing this?

When you see a woman breastfeeding do you pat her on the head and give her your support, or are you more aggressive? Like when you see a formula bottle being prepped for a baby do you knock it out of mom's hands and scream "Whip out a tit!"

Different women likely require different types of encouragement, so I'm interested to hear how you choose to engage.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Listening to the dismissive nature that Psaki addressed the problem with was one of the more appalling things I've ever heard from a politician.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
It was this:
consider using all of its available tools and authorities to actively monitor the infant formula market and address any illegal conduct that may be contributing to scarcity and hoarding as well as study whether rural or smaller retailers are being put at a disadvantage
Where she implies that people buying am extra package or container because they're worried about their babies not having food are akin to morons hoarding toilet paper.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Are national inventory levels monitored?
How would Biden and group find out there was an issue - outside of empty shelves and panicked moms.

There was a recall in February. Physician groups have been putting out statements on this since at least that time. So that's a couple of months. The FDA made public statements about monitoring store buying limits. There was such a shortage that stores had to implement limits per customer, at least at the beginning of April. That would have been the time to address this. This is not a shortage of just some luxury item. The moment stores are having a ration it you need a fix.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
There was a recall in February. Physician groups have been putting out statements on this since at least that time. So that's a couple of months. The FDA made public statements about monitoring store buying limits. There was such a shortage that stores had to implement limits per customer, at least at the beginning of April. That would have been the time to address this. This is not a shortage of just some luxury item. The moment stores are having a ration it you need a fix.
So last week when Biden said "If we'd been better mind readers, I guess we could have" (responded sooner) - that was a bunch of bullshit?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So last week when Biden said "If we'd been better mind readers, I guess we could have" (responded sooner) - that was a bunch of bullshit?
I don't know the context of that but I will I can't find anything other than the administration. Absolutely screwing this up.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I don't know the context of that but I will I can't find anything other than the administration. Absolutely screwing this up.
I guess fault is irrelevant at this point.
They just need to fix it. Fast.