VID The Trouble with Rousey IS NOT Tarverdyan...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Edmond is not to directly blame for anything. "You are responsible for everything bad that happens to you," I have heard in the past. This doesn't mean if you are hit by a stray bullet, or struck by a car, or some other random act out of your control, that you are rsponsible. However, if your girlfriend cheats on you, if a friend steals from you, if you are duped by a scammer etc...you are completely responsible. Some of you may ask, why? Simple answer: you made the choice to have that person be part of your life, and it was your poor judgement, not others, that allowed whatever happened to you to happen.
Long story short, rhonda is fighting, not edmond, so even though he may be a fraud, the blame is on her (and travis, and the 4 horsewomen, and ellenberger, and...whoever else joins up with the guy).
\
Yeah, again been posted all over several hundred times. We all agree, many on forums long ago, that Ronda should at least expand her horizons.

Want a perfect example? The much-unloved Tyron Woodley. He moved beyond ATT. I second that move. The addition, transition to Roufus & Co. was an excellent career decision, IMHO.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
\
BeardOfKnowledge @JohnyHendricksBeard

I really don't know the ins & outs of the MMA coaches. But personally, Firas is one I do listen to. Like I said, he gives sound technical breakdowns. He has a philosophy and is analytical. As to fighter rankings, success ratios, I don't compile those stats as many a forum user does. I concede that angle to MMA observers.

What I try to do is label decent stuff, decent stuff. If it's garbage, I label it garbage. And with the caveat I'm traditional karate.

On the coaches in MMA in general, all are trying to promote themselves. I find I can't condemn Tarverdyan the way I see him pilloried day-in-and-day-out in social media. Guy's got faults.... and easy target for social media.

I do believe some of the coaching feedback he's given Rousey is "yes man." Maybe that's what Ronda requires in a coaching relationship. Again, the theme of this thread is, "...its' the fighter @ the end of the day."

To end on Zahabi, he's not my man. But he's successfully built an MMA school operation and has good content, a reasoned perspective. He's worth following for MMA, IMO.
You should know that if you're going to sight him as a source of info, If a coach's pupils find no success, how astute could his observations possibly be? I'm not putting Firas into that group. I'm just illustrating that because someone sounds like they know what they're talking about doesn't actually mean they have a clue.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I posted some very deep philosophy
You should know that if you're going to sight him as a source of info, If a coach's pupils find no success, how astute could his observations possibly be? I'm not putting Firas into that group. I'm just illustrating that because someone sounds like they know what they're talking about doesn't actually mean they have a clue.
\
OK. I'm throwing out there some material I think is relevant to the overall theme of this thread. So thanks for adding insight, filling out my proposals with feedback. I'm moving on from Firas.

And not incidentally, I did appreciate his strategy for MacDonald against Wonderboy. Didn't work as well as Firas hoped. But showcased both fighters talent well and Rory went 5 rounds against a competitor that can readily finish in 1.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I posted some very deep philosophy

\
OK. I'm throwing out there some material I think is relevant to the overall theme of this thread. So thanks for adding insight, filling out my proposals with feedback. I'm moving on from Firas.

And not incidentally, I did appreciate his strategy for MacDonald against Wonderboy. Didn't work as well as Firas hoped. But showcased both fighters talent well and Rory went 5 rounds against a competitor that can finish in 1.
All I remember of that fight is how God damn boring it was to watch in person. I wouldn't have hated it on tv, but in the building I almost hung myself.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I'm going to continue & do a little "Cage Rattling" here. I want to be rich & famous like Conor (that's 1 "n"). So here's another mouthful for those who have Ronda's number (Freddie Roach quote) to chew on. Relax, not going to top Nate Diaz, or anything like that.
All I remember of that fight is how God damn boring it was to watch in person. I wouldn't have hated it on tv, but in the building I almost hung myself.
BeardOfKnowledge @JohnyHendricksBeard
\
Yeah, i get it. Entertainment, not martial arts. I can agree, ticket holder-wise.
\
Case study-wise... well I'm Mr. Case Study, so I liked that fight and MacDonald's strategy change. Key word, relevant to Rousey & Coach = Change.

Glad you're still with us. Ronda contemplated same thing following Holm loss. Funny:smilingimp:.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, i get it. Entertainment, not martial arts. I can agree, ticket holder-wise.
Not quite. It was 100 degrees in that building everyone just wanted it to be over so we could go the fuck home.

I personally didn't like Firas' strategy for that fight. It allowed Rory to be kept on the outside more than he should have been. Having said that, they may have opted to stay away from a grappling heavy strategy because of the conditions in the arena.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I'm going to continue & do a little "Cage Rattling" here. I want to be rich & famous like Conor (that's 1 "n"). So here's another mouthful for those who have Ronda's number (Freddie Roach quote) to chew on. Relax, not going to top Nate Diaz, or anything like that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_87_s1rkEA

Moving into the area I am versed in, here's a sample of what Ronda didn't do. Of course we have the Nunes / ATT model, and others centric to MMA.

But how about these karate kumite gals? There are any number of MMA Forum / Pundit / Trainers breakdowns about the Nunes win over Rousey. So seek those out. Them compare, in principle, some of the observed and commented failings in Ronda's striking skill set against an admittedly fierce Nunes; to what these girl karateka exhibit. I'm going to name a few, then maybe tie back to Gichin Funakoshi's 20 precepts. If this shakes one up too much... we have the "Mustard" thread here, etc. Karate is a challenge and I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I can do Ray Longo too {NOT REALLY}.

1. Footwork. Not sophisticated by boxing standards, but effective. The typical sport karate on the toes, yet in decent stances. Ronda's stances were a boxing-abortion. This fact severely compromised her strikes and hastened her punishing downfall.

2. Controlled Aggression. These gals take their time and pick their entry. They engage with deliberation and can "mix it up." They are poised to break it off and reset. Engage, break it off, reset, continue....

3. Discipline. They engage on command and halt as appropriate by the rules. This is a feature of the mental discipline training of karate. This is also a larger feature of the Controlled Aggression cited in 2. ABOVE. It's not about anger. Shotokan allows emotional aggression, yet channels aggression very well. A plus for Shotokan re MMA competitors who are often aggressive.

4. Striking Defense. Nunes also had this. We see some active striking defense. A functional guard. Against both leg and hand strikes. Sport karate is typically weak here... but again the curriculum calls for active defense. Ronda pretty much zero'd out on striking defense, as has been her past performance.

5. GO! Once they decide, the mind & total body coming together in an intense expression, signified by KIAI! It's not a yell; it's spirit in committed, disciplined action. This is the karate striking answer to Nunes / ATT Muay Thai. Go,! BAM! Go again,! BAM! Then BAM,! BAM!

Putting these gals up against Nunes... they'd probably get smashed. But until that happened, it'd be fun and what's more, give Nunes a headache trying to pin them down. TBF, they aren't pro's; it's not full contact.

SUMMARY: Purposeful, disciplined action by the whole body resulting in effective technique and the ability to engage intelligently over the course of several minutes (a kumite "round").

EDIT: Saw the TMAAC thread about the "3-month" time frame to re-up Rousey's striking. These gal's have years in karate. Karate is inescapably a bigger investment.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Not quite. It was 100 degrees in that building everyone just wanted it to be over so we could go the fuck home.

I personally didn't like Firas' strategy for that fight. It allowed Rory to be kept on the outside more than he should have been. Having said that, they may have opted to stay away from a grappling heavy strategy because of the conditions in the arena.
\
Yes. It wouldn't have been what I would have done by far. But that's me. I saw value in the strategy. And in returning to the theme of the thread... it's Rory in there @ the end of the day. I thought, personally, Rory was too passive. His choice. The heat, I wasn't there... but definitely an environmental factor which would affect tactics.

Tnxs for adding.

Last edited:

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Ya MMA Hardcore want bread crumbs, here's 20 that karate-address what is wrong with Rousey... as a lead-in of course.. Contrast against Zahabi-san (OP) and enjoy your snack:

1. Karate-do begins with courtesy and ends with rei.

2. There is no first strike in karate.

3. Karate is an aid to justice.

4. First know yourself, then know others.

5. Spirit first, technique second.

6. Always be ready to release your mind.

7. Accidents arise from negligence.

8. Do not think that karate training is only in the dojo.

9. It will take your entire life to learn karate, there is no limit.

10. Put your everyday living into karate and you will find "Myo" (subtle secrets).

11. Karate is like boiling water, if you do not heat it constantly, it will cool.

12. Do not think that you have to win, think rather that you do not have to lose.

13. Victory depends on your ability to distinguish vulnerable points from invulnerable ones.

14. The outcome of battle depends on how you handle weakness and strength.

15. Think of your opponents hands and feet as swords.

16. When you leave home, think that you have numerous opponents waiting for you.

17. Beginners must master low stance and posture, natural body positions are for the advanced.

18. Practicing kata exactly is one thing, engaging in a real fight is another.

19. Do not forget to correctly apply strength and weakness of power, stretching and contraction of the body, and slowness and speed of techniques.

20. Always think and devise ways to live the precepts of karate-do every day.

WOW, that's mouthful of karate-philosophy / gibberish. Competes head on with Edmond's, "...HEAD MOVEMENT, HEAD MOVEMENT, X20;!" I'd say.
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll interject here and say this and will say it again. The job Ronda Rousey did promoting herself, the UFC, and specifically WMMA has never been topped, IMHO, likely never will be:D.
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now IMO, a quick hit at the one's Ronda Rousey violates(d).

1., 2., 3?, 4 {big-time}, 5 {big-time}, 6?, 7?, 8, 9. {big-time}, 10. {ultra, big-time}, 11. {yes & no}, 12. {fatal, big-time}, 14., 15, 17., 18 {in principle, big-time}, 20.

The ones Ronda got.

13., 16., 19. Maybe 3. Maybe 6, 7. A qualified 11.

Truth be told, I only looked into these Shotokan karate guiding precepts once I started following MMA. My style of karate doesn't have these specific guiding principles, but another equally touchy-feel, overly vague set or sets.

So what's the first cut-upshot of all this blabber y I've been rightly accused of? I don't see any mention of the sensei here. No Sensei Tarverdyan Edmond in mention-able sight. I see only the practitioner. Sorry Firas:flushed:, I'm bad for business.
I am interested to hear more about these points. Is there a book I can read or website I can visit?

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Firas states that Edmond is part of the issue with Ronda's fall from grace... but not the driver... or certainly not the MAIN driver.
/QUOTE]
This video is kind of old, it's from when Ronda lost to Holly but here's Freddie Roach talking about when Ronda came to his gym around 2:20 of the video. Not about Ronda but Roach was talking about Edmond, how he used to have good stable of talented Armenian fighters which he dropped all of them when Ronda came to him.

Putting all your eggs in one basket and creating poor environments for lack of training partners (like Firas said, you can make all the white, blue, purple belts into an excellent training partners to try out new technique and such) and other similar stuff like that is what Firas is referring to I think.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I am interested to hear more about these points. Is there a book I can read or website I can visit?
That's a fair question. Let me continue to flesh out the thread. That'll allow me time to think about it.

Tnx for showing interest:tearsofjoy:.

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That's a fair question. Let me continue to flesh out the thread. That'll allow me time to think about it.

Tnx for showing interest.
I look forward to learning more. Feel free to pm me if you would care to have a correspondence.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
FIRST OF ALL, THIS IS A GREAT VIDEO. ONE OF THE PRINCIPLES I TAKE IS TO LISTEN TO OTHER AUTHORITIES. SO ROACH IS ONE TO LISTEN TO.
This video is kind of old, it's from when Ronda lost to Holly but here's Freddie Roach talking about when Ronda came to his gym around 2:20 of the video. Not about Ronda but Roach was talking about Edmond, how he used to have good stable of talented Armenian fighters which he dropped all of them when Ronda came to him.

Putting all your eggs in one basket and creating poor environments for lack of training partners (like Firas said, you can make all the white, blue, purple belts into an excellent training partners to try out new technique and such) and other similar stuff like that is what Firas is referring to I think.
HOWEVER, we had a mod poke his head in. Concerned about the tone. Well, now my concern is can people, here MMA interested parties listen? We have so,so, so many complaints about ET. To the serious about MMA, WHICH IS WHO THIS THREAD IS FOR, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT EDMOND & LISTEN!

Now here's how I can make a complaint about Roach. He starts the video saying how losing a fight can make someone better. OK. This is 7th Grade maturity. Traditional karate is about taking responsibility for YOUR OWN SELF IMPROVEMENT, in a martial setting. 7th Graders, that mindset, however prevalent, however popular, however many seats & PPV that fills, is not the theme or subject of this thread. The gentleman above who inquired about literary resources on karate, the 20 precepts, etc., links to that, is on the right track as far as I'm concerned.

So STOP the complaining. Start responding. I've been sympathetic to the criticisms about ET. Here's another top UFC competitor that is in sync with the theme of this thread. I'll provide the link. My intent in providing this link is not a karate commercial; it's in highlighting a UFC Competitor who is thinking martially. Here's the link. Please LISTEN!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTBqWQrGGuc

EDIT: Oh and by the way, I encourage anyone to give Firas a try. Call up Freddie Roach and set up a training program. That's the global moral of the link, forget it represents sport karate.

Last edited:
P

Punch

FIRST OF ALL, THIS IS A GREAT VIDEO. ONE OF THE PRINCIPLES I TAKE IS TO LISTEN TO OTHER AUTHORITIES. SO ROACH IS ONE TO LISTEN TO.

HOWEVER, we had a mod poke his head in. Concerned about the tone. Well, now my concern is can people, here MMA interested parties listen? We have so,so, so many complaints about ET. To the serious about MMA, WHICH IS WHO THIS THREAD IS FOR, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT EDMOND & LISTEN!

Now here's how I can make a complaint about Roach. He starts the video saying how losing a fight can make someone better. OK. This is 7th Grade maturity. Traditional karate is about taking responsibility for YOUR OWN SELF IMPROVEMENT, in a martial setting. 7th Graders, that mindset, however prevalent, however popular, however many seats & PPV that fills, is not the theme or subject of this thread. The gentleman above who inquired about literary resources on karate, the 20 precepts, etc., links to that, is on the right track as far as I'm concerned.

So STOP the complaining. Start responding. I've been sympathetic to the criticisms about ET. Here's another top UFC competitor that is in sync with the theme of this thread. I'll provide the link. My intent in providing this link is not a karate commercial; it's in highlighting a UFC Competitor who is thinking martially. Here's the link. Please LISTEN!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTBqWQrGGuc

EDIT: Oh and by the way, I encourage anyone to give Firas a try. Call up Freddie Roach and set up a training program. That's the global moral of the link, forget it represents sport karate.
Not concerned, confused. You were writing as if you were getting blowback from somewhere. I haven't seen that on TMMAC personally, hence my confusion.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016

AGAIN, HERE IS THE THEME OF THIS THREAD. HERE IS NOT CRAPPING ON SOMEONE. HERE ARE YOUNG WOMEN TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN SUCCESS, IN A DISCIPLINED, HUNDRED-YEAR OLD PROGRAM (SHOTOKAN KARATE) OF MARTIAL ARTS COMPETITION.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_87_s1rkEA
What competitive improvement, skills, could someone with an MMA career in fatal trouble, glean from what is represented here in developing martial skills?

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Not concerned, confused. You were writing as if you were getting blowback from somewhere. I haven't seen that on TMMAC personally, hence my confusion.
\
Some students need a little prodding. Traditional karate is a thinking man's game.

A huge, huge criticism about Ronda against Holm, all over MMA forum boards, was how she just repeated the same bullying advances on Holm, then taking repeated, repeated punishment from Holm. Punishment which, post-fight, put her on the sidelines for a protracted period of time with another massive fail by using the same tactic pretty much against Nunes.

The moral of the 20 precepts, however problematic an intellectual laudatory by some deceased Japanese karate master, is HOW NOT TO DO WHAT RONDA HAS DONE AT THE "END" ("ENDING") OF HER MMA CAREER. I'm seeing a lot of the same old, tired, tar & feather ET.

Traditional karate is WORK, just like sound MMA. The more important work of th2 20 precepts, is HOW YOU WORK, is what does or does not carry the day......:).

EDIT: I PUT UP A VID OF SOME FEMALE KARATE KUMITE COMPETITORS THAT, IN PRINCIPLE, ADDRESSES THE MAJORITY, IN PRINCIPLE, OF WHAT IS LACKING, DEFICIENT IN RONDA STRIKING SKILL SET. One can do the same approach with Freddie Roach & boxing, Firas Z. & MMA striking.

What lessons can be learned? That my question I'm putting to in this thread.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Why are you so angry? Nobody is attacking karate. You may have an interesting take and a perspective that might be educational, but your 'let me educate you dipshits' tone is hard to take.

You come off like Karate Dan Quinn.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Why are you so angry? Nobody is attacking karate. You may have an interesting take and a perspective that might be educational, but your 'let me educate you dipshits' tone is hard to take.

You come off like Karate Dan Quinn.
\
There's a ton of other threads, forums. Seek life elsewhere.

EDIT: OH, and you neglected to say Edmond is a "bad person."

EDIT2: Freddie is the go-to guy for you. A helpful hint.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Sounds like you're the one with the problem with the forum KataQuinn.

Why don't you take a deep breath and start this thread over. Drop the negativity and take your caps lock off.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Sounds like you're the one with the problem with the forum KataQuinn.

Why don't you take a deep breath and start this thread over. Drop the negativity and take your caps lock off.
\
YES, I SEE THAT. AND NO.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I don't know how long women have been competing in Shotokan karate. WMMA is relatively new. One of thing's WMMA has done is to turn me back, for comparison purpose, to watching & reviewing the performances of Female Kumite Competitors. Here's some top JKA champions battling it out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOFo_Focq48

Applying the 20-precepts, how can we do that? Note Female competitor #106. Time = up to 0:06. I'll pick one out of the list.

Precept #15. Think of your opponents hands and feet as swords.

Note the extreme caution on the part of #106. Note the careful deliberation. She is reading, actively her opponent, highly watchful of every move, every motion. Her decision about what to do hinges on a proper, perfect,? interpretation of a host of factors.

The idea of the opponent's hands & feet as swords lends great perspective in how dangerous a martial encounter can be. How a single mistake or error can be fatal. This concept then lead directly into another precept that comes to my mind. Gichin Funakoshi's 20 precepts, is it just a list, a enumeration of items, or something more?

There's a lot of plus & minuses to karate point fighting. One of the pluses is an overall theme, front & center in the scoring, of how a single blow can cripple you and put you out of the fight. So we this one of Funakoshi's bedrock philosophical martial principles, heavily ens-coned in the structure of karate kumite competition.

Practical application to Ronda Rousey? MMA commentary has pointed out, including Firas Z., how Ronda got rocked early in Round 1 against Nunes... sending her downhill, compromising her ability(ies) for the rest of the fight. The same event happened in the Holm match.

So, by traditional karate principles, we are presented with a way of thinking, a guide, against which to challenge our own martial mindset... and build, develop our tactical integrity accordingly.

EDIT: THE GUIDING SKILL SET IN TRADITIONAL KARATE IS MENTAL DISCIPLINE.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
REading the commentary, the Post-fight breakdowns by MMP coaches, pundits, we saw how Nunes selectively put the striking pressure on Ronda (see footnote 1). In striking tactics, there is always the overall tactic of offense versus defense. There's a glacial choice to be made. Moreover, and so, so true for Ronda in the UFC 207 match, the choice may be suddenly and forcefully thrust upon you. Here's Female JKA kumite video of how this interplay, a necessary circumstance of the striking game, was handled by the kumite competitors. A slow-motion, visual breakdown.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-n5Sb2V954

I'll mention, pull in one / some precept(s) later.

Here, as opposed to Ronda's now heavily-critiqued UFC 207 troubles (after the fact), we have a clear & concise picture of what to seek striking-wise. What is attainable by serious martial art training, which happens to be Shotokan karate. The female competitor to the left, embodies the pinnacle of what to strive for, IMHO.

EDIT: One of the qualities that MMA has written about re karate, is the distancing. Karate, they say, is about keeping, using distance. And colloquially speaking, sport karate does have, often excessive reliance on, use or making of "distance."

The fact that many, many sport karate competitors have gone this "big" distancing route, such as Raymond Daniels, does not represent karate proper. What's beneficial about this video is we see the better, top (female) karate kumite fighters prepared to exchange at any range or position, more properly.

FOOTNOTE 1: That's a big +1 for Nunes.

Last edited:
P

Punch

\
Some students need a little prodding. Traditional karate is a thinking man's game.

A huge, huge criticism about Ronda against Holm, all over MMA forum boards, was how she just repeated the same bullying advances on Holm, then taking repeated, repeated punishment from Holm. Punishment which, post-fight, put her on the sidelines for a protracted period of time with another massive fail by using the same tactic pretty much against Nunes.

The moral of the 20 precepts, however problematic an intellectual laudatory by some deceased Japanese karate master, is HOW NOT TO DO WHAT RONDA HAS DONE AT THE "END" ("ENDING") OF HER MMA CAREER. I'm seeing a lot of the same old, tired, tar & feather ET.

Traditional karate is WORK, just like sound MMA. The more important work of th2 20 precepts, is HOW YOU WORK, is what does or does not carry the day......:).

EDIT: I PUT UP A VID OF SOME FEMALE KARATE KUMITE COMPETITORS THAT, IN PRINCIPLE, ADDRESSES THE MAJORITY, IN PRINCIPLE, OF WHAT IS LACKING, DEFICIENT IN RONDA STRIKING SKILL SET. One can do the same approach with Freddie Roach & boxing, Firas Z. & MMA striking.

What lessons can be learned? That my question I'm putting to in this thread.