What kind of gun or guns do you have?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
For me it was transition/jamming.
I don't know if I'm right, but the steel seemed to act like it looked; dry?
And locked up.
Brass was smoother.
You're right, in that steel cases against the steel surfaces of the gun produce more friction than brass cases, and needs some type of coating to cycle reliably. Since steel cases are most often used in cheap foreign (mostly Russia and Eastern Europe) ammo where they cut corners, what coating they use often isn't very good.

Also, brass is a softer and more malleable metal than steel so it seals better under pressure. It should also cause less wear and tear on the gun. For AKs and other guns that are over-engineered and known for toughness, steel cases are probably fine. For more precise guns, I'd stick to brass.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You're right, in that steel cases against the steel surfaces of the gun produce more friction than brass cases, and needs some type of coating to cycle reliably. Since steel cases are most often used in cheap foreign (mostly Russia and Eastern Europe) ammo where they cut corners, what coating they use often isn't very good.

Also, brass is a softer and more malleable metal than steel so it seals better under pressure. It should also cause less wear and tear on the gun. For AKs and other guns that are over-engineered and known for toughness, steel cases are probably fine. For more precise guns, I'd stick to brass.
A lot of it is also corrosive.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015

They use a laquer coating which will melt and buildup causing failures. The gunpowder they use is corrosive as well. Its just never worth the nickel you save to shoot steel.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

I’ve had the Model 66 357 Mag for about 30 years, the FN Baby Browning .25 belonged to my Father-in-Law who passed away a few years ago. It’s actually really fun to shoot.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

I’ve had the Model 66 357 Mag for about 30 years, the FN Baby Browning .25 belonged to my Father-in-Law who passed away a few years ago. It’s actually really fun to shoot.
I guess the judo isn't coming along as planned?

Animal Chin

Oct 29, 2015

Love that .357

I have the same one with wood grips that was my great uncle's service revolver when he was a sheriff in Kansas. Fun as hell to shoot.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
I use the four inch pink oboe.

it’s slow to recharge these days.

But it’s quite devastating when it hits the mark.

damage lasts nine months

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

those are sweet

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Just finished up my AR.

Well not completely.

Still need a Sight.

But I built this thing part by
part.

First time.

Bear Creek Arsenal's Upper

.223 Wylde 16" 1/7 twist Barrel.

15" Mlok handguard.

Aero Precision M4e1 lower.

MFT Minimalist Stock.

Mil-spec Buffer Tube and Carbine Buffer.

Mil-spec Trigger and Lower Parts

Ergo Grip.

All for $320 USD.

I wanted a nice budget build I could improve over time.

Looks like I Dun' Good.

Last edited:

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Just finished up my AR.

Well not completely.

Still need a Sight.

But I build this thing part by
part.

First time.

15" Mlok handguard.

MFT Minimalist Stock.

Ergo Grip.

All for $320 USD.

Looks like I Dun' Good.

Not bad. I haven't built an AR yet myself. I have two in 5.56 mm, so if I do build one, I might go with a different caliber. Or maybe a pistol build with a brace. (as opposed to a short barreled rifle that would require an NFA tax stamp.)

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Not bad. I haven't built an AR yet myself. I have two in 5.56 mm, so if I do build one, I might go with a different caliber. Or maybe a pistol build with a brace. (as opposed to a short barreled rifle that would require an NFA tax stamp.)
Thanks.

Yeah I thought of going the SBR "Pistol" route myself but I didnt want the hassle of the Tax Stamp and all the regulations you have to follow.

So I decided on Regular Carbine build.

Since you haven't done it i would say the process is kind of tedious.

Got to figure out what you want.
Then look for parts. Then find the best prices on said parts.
Lastly Build.

It can all a drag.
But let me tell you in the end it is definitely worth it.

The satisfaction of completion plus the pride of doing it yourself = Awesome.

I recommend it.

Last edited:

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just finished up my AR.

Well not completely.

Still need a Sight.

But I built this thing part by
part.

First time.

15" Mlok handguard.

MFT Minimalist Stock.

Ergo Grip.

All for $320 USD.

Looks like I Dun' Good.
I wanna know if that shoots true.
What was the cost on the upper?