WSOF 20 Fight Discussion - April 10, 2015

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
Could be the best card so far in WSOF. Branch steps up in weight class to go in the initial LHW tournament (Shades of Bjorn Rebney!), and the masked man "Phoenix Jones" (aka Ben Fodor) makes his WSOF debut against Emmanuel Walo.
Is WSOF becoming ready for prime-time??

PRELIMS

View: http://livestream.com/intercast/events/3952740

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Let's just make this the discussion thread then, shall we.

MAIN CARD:

Davis Branch vs. Ronny Markes
Nick Newell vs. Joe Condon
Ozzy Dugulubgov vs. Lucas Montoya
Ben Fodor vs. Emmanuel Walo
Juliano Coutinho vs. Steve Mocco

PRELIMINARY CARD:

Islam Mamedov vs. Leon Davis
Max Bohanan vs. Andrew Osborne
Matt Secor vs. Chip Moraza-Pollard
Saul Almeida vs. Chris Foster
Darren Mima vs. Johnny Campbell
Brett Oteri vs. Steve Skrzat

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

Three days after Melvin Guillard was pulled from the card, headliner Ronny Markes dropped out of the main event Thursday, the day of weigh-ins, WSOF executive vice president Ali Abdel Aziz told MMAFighting.com. Markes is in the hospital, Abdel Aziz said. It was immediately unclear what was ailing him.

David Branch will remain on the card and face Jesse McElligott in the main event. Branch-Markes was supposed to be part of WSOF's light heavyweight title tournament, but Abdel Aziz is not sure if that will stay in place with Markes being out.

Ronny Markes out of WSOF 20 main event; David Branch gets new opponent - MMA Fighting

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
atleast we get see Phoenix Jones..Im pumped for that...I hope Mocco has a good showing..kinda disappointed in what I have seen..Dude is a monster in wrestling abd Judo..

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
atleast we get see Phoenix Jones..Im pumped for that...I hope Mocco has a good showing..kinda disappointed in what I have seen..Dude is a monster in wrestling abd Judo..
Yup...for those that don't know, Steve Mocco is a wrestling phenom from New Jersey :p. 2 time ncaa national champion in 2003 and 2005. He had a 85 match win streak going into 2006 then was pinned by Cole Konrad at duals. He then went on to lose to Konrad again in the 2006 ncaa championship match. Mocco was on the 2008 olympic team with Cejudo, Askren, and Cormier.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
Tough break for WSOF, losing what was shaping up to be an interesting main event. HUGE opportunity for McElligott!! From the prelims to the main event! We'll see what he does in the limelight! Can he come through the way Teddy Holder did on the last card?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Which are the fights to watch on this card, as opposed to on the Bellator card?

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Is there going to be a clash of scheduling between WSOF and Bellator tonight?

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
Both shows start at 9 pm Eastern time. Bellator on Spike, and WSOF on NBC Sports Network. Bellator prelims stream starts at 7:30 Eastern on Spike.com. WSOF prelims stream starts at 7:00 PM Eastern, on mmaweekly.com and other sites.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
War Nick Newell

The promotion I used to work for that was owned by my cousin put on his very first ammy fights ever

His first opponent was set to be a different cousin of mine, but he backed out because he didn't want to lose to a kid with one arm, or beat a kid with one arm. felt like it was a lose-lose. This situation has now plagued Newell for his entire career til he got more exposure.. but guys still don't want to fight him for this exact reason.

I remember being ring side in the building that was PACKED with people wall to wall at this particular show. Like, no room to move, probably a fire hazard. I was literally leaning on the ring as the fights took place. I took two friends with me who had never seen live fights in their life and didn't know much about MMA. One friend actually got blood splattered on her purse from a guy getting GNP'd a foot away from us in the corner.

After initially freaking out, she started screaming and got in the fights like a primal blood thirsty cave woman. Lol. She was a photographer and didn't even take pics at one point because she couldn't believe how exciting it was to see fights so up close and personal.

ANYWAY. Newell was fighting that night. The dude pulled off such a slick, amazing arm bar on a guy who was touted locally as one of the better BJJ players. I think it's on Youtube but I dunno.

It was that moment I knew the kid was something special. He destroyed this guy and pulled the sub out of nowhere. It was almost a flying arm bar, he pulled guard and just broke this dude's shit, all the way backwards before they hit the ground. So great.

On top of that he is incredibly nice. Maybe the nicest fighter I have ever met in my life. He has REAL skill too. I can't say enough about Newell, man. He's a hero to me. I'll never forget seeing those first fights of his up close in perosn and watching him go from there to being on NBC live with Bas Rutten commentating on his fights. I was baffled at what I was seeing that first time live.I thought he was going to get seriously hurt despite everyone saying he had legit skill.

Needless to say, my cousin made the right choice in not fighting hm. My cousin never trained much and Nick would have absolutely wrecked him. He fought one of Nick's team mates instead, Leon Davis, and got TKO'd in 50 seconds after a huge suplex and some GNP.

He lost only 1 ammy fight before getting TKO'd by Gatheje. I really do believe he can continue to fight at the highest levels. The Gatheje fight was more a reflection on Justin's skill than Nick's lack of. Justin is high, UFC level. Nick can very well be there soon, too. Skill wise, he is pretty much there. He just has a lot of trouble due to everything.

Anyway rant over. Let me just tell you. If you never rooted for this kid. You really should. He's an awesome fighter and person who doesn't have a mean bone in his body. What he's overcome and done in the cage is nothing short of spectacular. Before the Justin fight he had beaten 3-4 guys in a row who were serious threats like they were nothing.

I know he went into that fight hurt, too. Not making excuses. But against THAT level of opponent, on top of his natural disadvantage, he was almost guaranteed to lse that night.

I hope that loss doesn't change him forever. THat's the kind of loss that makes or breaks somebody. However, Newell has such amazing drve that I think he will only get better. Gotta admit thpough< I'm very nervous about seeing him fight tonight. Would hate to see him lose.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Also, another random ass story

I had an asthma attack a couple weeks ago and had t spend some time at the hospital. No one was home and I had no car so the ambulance had to come get me. The paramedic ended up being Newell's boxing coach.

He made that night not suck. At all. Wicked nice dude, talked to me at length about Nick, MMA, etc. Seriously a random encounter, but yeah. Had to add that part

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Lol David Branch just gave an interview saying

"No one in MMA has ever held 2 belts in 2 weight classes at the same time. People have won titles in multiple weight classes but no one has ever held two belts at the same time"

Guess he never heard of Dan Henderson, or PRIDE

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Lol David Branch just gave an interview saying

"No one in MMA has ever held 2 belts in 2 weight classes at the same time. People have won titles in multiple weight classes but no one has ever held two belts at the same time"

Guess he never heard of Dan Henderson, or PRIDE
Or Conor Mcgregor.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Plenty of people have done it in smaller orgs like Conor. Not taking anything away from the guy but it's nowhere close to what Dan did and the quality of opponents he beat to get those belts.

Doing it somewhere in a major top of the chain org like PRIDE or the UFC is what I was talking about and I assume Branch too.