General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I thought it was being distributed in some states, particularly in the northeast. Maybe I'm wrong. I know the J&J shot is available here. That was what I got pricked with.
We have massive stockpile of it but I don't know it's cleared for use even in specific circumstances. We are now earmarking them for other countries because we have so many others.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
We have massive stockpile of it but I don't know it's cleared for use even in specific circumstances. We are now earmarking them for other countries because we have so many others.
As of this morning provincial health officials were claiming 1 in 55k for blood clots with Astrazeneca.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I finally got around to trying to watch this. I made it 3.5 minutes in and realized I'm too dumb for this. I've switched to long range rifle shooting videos instead.
He named off 3 things about the virus that is curious/unusual, then the peptide sharing thing, which is (or should be) almost mathematically impossible.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I finally got around to trying to watch this. I made it 3.5 minutes in and realized I'm too dumb for this. I've switched to long range rifle shooting videos instead.
Keep in mind that the odds of humans existing are almost mathematically impossible as well. It's an interesting stat but not the end all be all. If probability was always correct we wouldn't even be here on this forum discussing this because we wouldn't exist. Same goes for everything humanity has built.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Keep in mind that the odds of humans existing are almost mathematically impossible as well. It's an interesting stat but not the end all be all. If probability was always correct we wouldn't even be here on this forum discussing this because we wouldn't exist. Same goes for everything humanity has built.
I just want deer to exist in my freezer.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Didn’t you say the CDC doesn’t put out guidelines without a ton of trials and research?
I’m just wondering why this is safe today but wasn’t 2 weeks ago
Do you even science or bureaucracy bro?

Almost as if getting a consensus across thousands of data points and hundreds of people's inputs takes time, and the higher you are in the hierarchy the more likely you are to have a lag time, but also be complete.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Do you even science or bureaucracy bro?

Almost as if getting a consensus across thousands of data points and hundreds of people's inputs takes time, and the higher you are in the hierarchy the more likely you are to have a lag time, but also be complete.
So they do make statements and policy without all that.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
I'm really not sure what you're going after at all. But it doesn't really seem like you understand what the CDC does.
4 weeks ago it was “impending doom”. Today vaccinated people can basically do anything with people vaccinated or not and masked or not.

Im shocked that they could pull that difference of option in such a short time frame.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
I've read this about three times and I'm still stuck. What is that?
A couple weeks ago vaccinated people still needed to wear masks outside. Did they do a ton of research that showed that it was dangerous? Or was it just BS and those people were always fine to take them off?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
4 weeks ago it was “impending doom”. Today vaccinated people can basically do anything with people vaccinated or not and masked or not.

Im shocked that they could pull that difference of option in such a short time frame.
Please post me the CDC's impending doom update from 4 weeks ago.

But...I don't really know what you're grief is about with this.
There wasn't a consensus several weeks ago on this topic and now there is. What do you think happens in deciding to change policy of any kind?

Overview
Currently authorized vaccines in the United States are highly effective at protecting vaccinated people against symptomatic and severe COVID-19. Additionally, a growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. How long vaccine protection lasts and how much vaccines protect against emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants are still under investigation.

For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen)±; there is currently no post-vaccination time limit on fully vaccinated status. Unvaccinated people refers to individuals of all ages, including children, that have not completed a vaccination series.

At this time, there are limited data on vaccine protection in people who are immunocompromised. People with immunocompromising conditions, including those taking immunosuppressive medications (for instance drugs, such as mycophenolate and rituximab, to suppress rejection of transplanted organs or to treat rheumatologic conditions), should discuss the need for personal protective measures with their healthcare provider after vaccination.

This guidance provides recommendations for fully vaccinated people, including:

How fully vaccinated people can safely resume activities
How fully vaccinated people should approach domestic and international travel
How fully vaccinated people should approach isolation, quarantine, and testing
CDC will continue to evaluate and update public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people as more information, including on new variants, becomes available. Further information on evidence and considerations related to these recommendations is available in the Science Brief.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
A couple weeks ago vaccinated people still needed to wear masks outside. Did they do a ton of research that showed that it was dangerous? Or was it just BS and those people were always fine to take them off?
It doesn't matter if they were fine or not fine. What matters is the amount of evidence and the time it takes to evaluate the evidence.
It's both possible that the situation has changed but it's also possible that situation is not changed and simply there was insufficient evidence to make a policy change. See my above post in which the CDC clearly outlines why they make a recommendation change.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
Please post me the CDC's impending doom update from 4 weeks ago.

But...I don't really know what you're grief is about with this.
There wasn't a consensus several weeks ago on this topic and now there is. What do you think happens in deciding to change policy of any kind?
My point is if no consensus then don’t sell it as fact

View: https://youtu.be/uBNwQEpLlmA

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My point is if no consensus then don’t sell it as fact

View: https://youtu.be/uBNwQEpLlmA
I don't have time to go through all 6 minutes of stats but on the very initial ones regarding increased cases and hospitalization, That isn't true now so to your point yeah it looks like it might have changed in the last month.

But beyond that on the topic of mask the CDC clearly indicates that they were waiting for evidence that vaccinated individuals were not likely to transmit the virus. That has been the crux of continued mass wearing. So what really matters is whether that data was available for weeks ago or not. If it wasn't then that's a very reasonable change.