General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I am going to have fun poking fun at Sparkuri in the future when all of this blows over and the panic goes away. It will all be in good fun and thicken his skin up in the future for when another media provoked panic attack is pushed.

Either that, or I will feel like a complete ass and this will be one of my more shameful moments. I'm going with the former though :)
You're too much of a nice guy to ever do it.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
It literally sounds, throughout this thread, like you're in some echo chamber of MSM.
Have you done ANY research?
You like statistics...have you looked at any?
42 days.
42 days, asymptomatic, has been proven, as has 27, 24, and 21. Incubation is ridiculous.
The R0 is ridiculous; patient 1 and 2 were 6 weeks separated, community caught.
The guy you missed, was "fine". 2 days later he was dead.
I'm not gonna try to change your mind, it seems pointless at this point.
But sitting in the same hospital as patient 1 U.S., I took a keen interest, particularly after coughing up blood.
You're not changing my mind because of whatever you're watching or hearing, I really don't thinking you're grasping, or retaining all the information.
If you wanna believe that half the planet has closed their borders and industry has stopped for the first time in your life over a flu, or that the fed has dropped interest rates for a disease for the first time in history for...what reason?
If you think China shipped in 80 incinerators running at full capacity for looks....
If you think 11 million people had their doors welded shut for a cold....
If you think China suppressing information for....what again?

Stop with the "sparkuri's panicking" non-sense.
Facts are facts. I'm dancing to the humpty dance over here while sharing info.
Now I'm eating waffles; it's multitasking.
Way overboard.
If I want to panic, I wll watch the news you do. If I want to debunk it, there are multiple sources I can go to for that. You choose to freak out majorly over something that more than likely wont affect you directly, and I am not. That's where we differ. I am okay with you saying I'm not taking it serious, but you seem to not be okay with me pointing out your level of panic.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
D241 @D-raw I know what this virus is or isn't. I am sure of it. I disagree wholeheartedly on things like vaccines and that this was an engineered virus. I will keep arguing about that science. Some of it has a very clear defined data.

I don't have a damn clue how people will react to it. Iran has to be pandemonium coming.
China did some crazy stuff.
Japan is blocking travel from certain countries completely.
South Korea seems to be doing an amazing job getting this under control without going full communist.

The 1918 flu pandemic as a prospect is a pretty scary thing that should be a once and a hundred year event. And we've been a hundred years. There are lots of reasons to believe that such an event will not happen again at the same scale. But even half of that scale is a lot of people. Most of those deaths will be centered around the poor developing areas of the world. But just the threat of those areas and watching the pandemonium could lead to some pretty crazy responses here.

If people panic, that could be significantly crazier than the disease itself. And if that kind of thing happens sparkuri @sparkuri it's far better prepared than I am. No matter what the catalyst for said panic is.

Don't get too much hubris here. As I've said multiple times it's one thing to recognize the low individual threat of this virus and keep context that there isn't reason to panic. It's a whole other thing to be in NYC seeing Asian people getting beat due to panic. What comes next?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Still not seeing more than 2-4 masks around here. Just heard an announcement at jamaica (the lirr junction where you catch the air train to jfk) about washing hands or using hand sanitizer. That's the first official PSA I've seen or heard being put out there like that for nyc.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I am going to have fun poking fun at Sparkuri in the future when all of this blows over and the panic goes away. It will all be in good fun and thicken his skin up in the future for when another media provoked panic attack is pushed.

Either that, or I will feel like a complete ass and this will be one of my more shameful moments. I'm going with the former though :)
I'm sure the dude who died on the cruise ship thought the same

people are crazy, I see whole bunch of people on instagram traveling, wtf

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Splinty @Splinty so a virus can't be engineered?
Maybe they took that virus of bats and were trying to create a bio weapon? Or maybe they wanted to create a vaccine for it and then unleash the virus so they can earn money.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Splinty @Splinty so a virus can't be engineered
No. That's not what I said.

Everything suggests this is a zoonotic infection from bats. Google Lancet open scientist letter that includes sourced articles for dozens peer reviews evidence.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I’m seriously considering cancelling my trip to NYC after reading about over 2700 in quarantine and 2 cases in Manhattan. Ugh. Am I falling for the panic or just thinking I’m being extra careful?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I’m seriously considering cancelling my trip to NYC after reading about over 2700 in quarantine and 2 cases in Manhattan. Ugh. Am I falling for the panic or just thinking I’m being extra careful?
Why go if you don't need to? There's plenty of time to visit in the future.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Why go if you don't need to? There's plenty of time to visit in the future.
Work wanted me up there a few months ago. We planned it along with other remote users so we could have a week of face time instead of zoom meetings every day. But the folks from Belfast cancelled this morning and I was holding out until more info came out which has happened. I will sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow morning but I’m leaning heavily on rescheduling this one.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Some ppl say it's a hoax, so they feel better.
It's not a hoax. It's real.

But it isn't the catastrophe the media is making it out to be. The people dying are the elderly and those with immune systems that were already compromised. I don't mean to dismiss those deaths - they still suck. But for healthy people - the risk of death is very, very low. Minuscule.

Wash your hands often. Keep your hands away from your face. Other than that - live your life.
This isn't the plague that the media wants you to think it is. Society isn't about to end.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Work wanted me up there a few months ago. We planned it along with other remote users so we could have a week of face time instead of zoom meetings every day. But the folks from Belfast cancelled this morning and I was holding out until more info came out which has happened. I will sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow morning but I’m leaning heavily on rescheduling this one.

If you go, I'd alter my travel to avoid large crowds and I'd wash my hands 5-6 times a day with extra emphasis on avoiding close contact with strangers. That means no bars, crowds, etc. Could be difficult to do and would definitely put a damper on the fun.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I think the risk is monumentally low.
But if the trip isn't necessary, postpone it. Do a phone conference and call it a day. Plan a face to face when shit settles down.

Even though you know it's likely fine to travel, making a decision to postpone an unnecessary trip shows that you can make rational decisions.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Pence is at Camp Murray. Nowhere near Kirkland. I wonder if he'll go there. We already pretty much emptied downtown Seattle before he came to the region

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
If you go, I'd alter my travel to avoid large crowds and I'd wash my hands 5-6 times a day with extra emphasis on avoiding close contact with strangers. That means no bars, crowds, etc. Could be difficult to do and would definitely put a damper on the fun.
That’s part of the bummer with this trip. I had actually planned to take my wife with me for the weekend to go to some museums and visit family but that’s out of the picture now. So if we can’t do that, what’s the point of taking the chance to go up there at all. If it were just work I don’t mind. I hate being in the big city and rarely, if ever, leave my hotel room after work anyway. I’ve avoided catching anything when I go there because I’m adamant about not stepping near a subway while I’m there. Oh well, we’ll have to save it for when this all dies down.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Lol @ that garbage.
They didn't really say anything about what to do to stop the spread of this. They basically said retirement homes have and have had a protocol to handle viruses and that the mortality rate will go down as we actually test people and find more younger people that are infected.
  1. Younger people are being denied testing around here left and right because hospitals are slammed and they don't have enough tests given the population.
  2. They didn't really say anything about preventing the spread of the virus within the US. Corporate America has said more by limiting non essential travel and allowing many workers to WFH.