General Democratic 2020 Election Watch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Did the Democrats Step on a Second Big Land Mine?

There was no mention—none—about how to deal with what has been a flood of arrivals, whether refugees from violence, asylum-seekers or those simply looking for a better life. (Senator Bernie Sanders talked about improving conditions in Central America so that citizens there would not be driven to flee, but, at best, this is aspirational and, at worst, a dodge.) These candidates aren’t explicitly advocating open borders, but taken together, the policies advocated amount to almost the same thing.
Right now, however, all of the candidates (except perhaps for Biden, whose half-hand raise was a masterstroke of noncommittalism) have put themselves clearly on the record for sharply liberalizing immigration, and none appears to be willing to say anything with any specificity about one question: Should there be any limit on who gets to come to the United States? Is there room enough, are there jobs enough, is there health care funding enough, to accommodate everyone?
Hey look...I'm most Americans...
Without question, the country as a whole, and not just the Democratic Party, has shifted to a more accommodating position on those here illegally; big majorities oppose the deportation of all undocumented immigrants, according to Gallup, and a path to citizenship is now favored or strongly favored by more than 80 percent of adult Americans. But almost the same percentage want an increase in border patrols to stop the flow of more undocumented immigrants.
I Don't care about the one time expense including citizenship for those that have been caught in the middle for our bad policies.
I care that these policies together are endless. I care that a pathway to citizenship is being suggested for anybody that walks across the border forever. And the only limiting factor is the expectation of an eventual closure of the delta that exists between the richest nation that's ever existed and near failed states nearby. That's a bad policy.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

I Don't care about the one time expense including citizenship for those that have been caught in the middle for our bad policies.
I care that these policies together are endless. I care that a pathway to citizenship is being suggested for anybody that walks across the border forever. And the only limiting factor is the expectation of an eventual closure of the delta that exists between the richest nation that's ever existed and near failed states nearby. That's a bad policy.
Fuck the splinter

M

member 3289

I liked Biden's answer to the question of whether people whose only offense was being illegal should be deported or not. He said, "They will not be the focus of deportation," cleverly avoiding the question.

History tells us they will very likely be deported under a Biden presidency:

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Deporting criminals is good.
Deporting people trying to become legal immigrants, is no good.
Nor is making it more difficult than it already is for them to become legal....

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I liked Biden's answer to the question of whether people whose only offense was being illegal should be deported or not. He said, "They will not be the focus of deportation," cleverly avoiding the question.

History tells us they will very likely be deported under a Biden presidency:

Obama was efficient at deportations on the sly.

I'd like to see 100% e-verify enforced. Remove the carrot and enforce against these businesses that run their profit margins on veritable slave labor and avoiding paying Americans an appropriate wage.
This was always the expected trade off for the Reagan amnesty and should still be done.

Follow that with a skills based immigration policy like Canada. That should include whatever job's needed, including non-white collar jobs. But you can't set visa goals when the current demand is so out of whack due to lack of things like e-verify enforcement.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Deporting criminals is good.
Deporting people trying to become legal immigrants, is no good.
Nor is making it more difficult than it already is for them to become legal....

75% of asylum seekers are rejected and should not be here after their claims are denied. Come to think of it The overwhelming of the asylum process is a pretty good microcosm of the whole thing where we can't focus on the right people and the highest moral obligation because we're so busy processing people that shouldn't be here in the first place.

"I want to come to the US" is not a good enough litmus test to create immigration policy on.

If I need 8 million farm workers and there are 12 million illegal farm workers, The right answer is 8 million work visas and 4 million deportations. Oh and a huge ass fine for the farm.

M

member 3289

Obama was efficient at deportations on the sly.

I'd like to see 100% e-verify enforced. Remove the carrot and enforce against these businesses that run their profit margins on veritable slave labor and avoiding paying Americans an appropriate wage.
This was always the expected trade off for the Reagan amnesty and should still be done.

Follow that with a skills based immigration policy like Canada. That should include whatever job's needed, including non-white collar jobs. But you can't set visa goals when the current demand is so out of whack due to lack of things like e-verify enforcement.
Eliminate 1099s and tax ID numbers

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Also, since I'm fixing the world...we should end family separation and I'm pretty sure the metering process (wait in Mexico) is going to be found illegal too.
The DHS guy said 90% of immigrants dont show up for their hearings, but I can't find any data supporting that. Everything says that somewhere around 80 to 85% show up. We could probably further increase that number with technology like ankle bracelets or something easier. Yes, I suggest you get monitored while been given benefit of the doubt in a system where you're 75%+ going to be denied.

M

member 3289

Also, since I'm fixing the world...we should end family separation and I'm pretty sure the metering process (wait in Mexico) is going to be found illegal too.
The DHS guy said 90% of immigrants dont show up for their hearings, but I can't find any data supporting that. Everything says that somewhere around 80 to 85% show up. We could probably further increase that number with technology like ankle bracelets or something easier. Yes, I suggest you get monitored while been given benefit of the doubt in a system where you're 75%+ going to be denied.
*being

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Came across this while trying to find some immigration numbers...

South Florida sees a boom in Russian ‘birth tourists’

Also lol

She even enjoyed how nurses referred to patients as “mommies,” as opposed to “rozhenitsa,” or “birth-giver” – the “unpleasant words they use in Russian birth clinics.”
Didn't know Canada was dealing with the same...

‘Birth Tourism’ Is Legal in Canada. A Lawmaker Calls It Unscrupulous.

Except the Canadians might actually do something about it...

60% of Canadians want tougher laws against birth tourism: Angus Reid Institute poll

M

member 3289

Came across this while trying to find some immigration numbers...

South Florida sees a boom in Russian ‘birth tourists’
Sunny Isles Beach, a city just north of Miami, is even nicknamed “Little Moscow.”

It's only 10 or so miles north of where you were staying, and yes, it has an unbelievably high number of Russians.

I know a guy who was staying at a hotel in S.I.B and said he casually walked into a cigar shop. He said everyone in the shop looked like they were in the Russian mafia and that he quickly made his purchase and got the fook out of there lol

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Biden unveils health care plan: Affordable Care Act 2.0

from Medicaid expansion to protections for patients with pre-existing conditions — and build on them with a new government-run public insurance option.

Biden would also empower Medicare to directly negotiate drug prices, allow the importation of prescription drugs from abroad and extend tax credits to help tens of millions of Americans buy lower-priced health insurance.
It's okay Joe, I know you are reading my posts...

Bernie only wants single payer. Answer is always centralize and federalize.

There's a better universal system example that we can bridge to easier.

Healthcare in Germany - Wikipedia

To be fair, dem co-ops were a fair attempt at this and GOP blocked which is how we got obamacare